Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Siberian mystery creature

Habitat

Almost as intriguing as this "Nesski" is the fact it's lake never freezes over, although in the coldest region in the world.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/travel/news/is-siberias-lake-labynkyr-really-home-to-a-monster/story-e6freqwo-1226477728571

I'd say that the whole "not freezing over" might be connected to some sort of geothermal activity.

• Like 1

Wow interesting, if this is legit it would be awesome if they uncovered some new species. I wonder what became of that corpse in the story at the end of the article though.

Damnation people! That's me skinny-dipping. Is there no end to people mistaking me for some sort of fricking creature?

That's it, I'm staying home from now on.

• Like 4

Wow interesting, if this is legit it would be awesome if they uncovered some new species. I wonder what became of that corpse in the story at the end of the article though.

They had a BBQ most likely. Devil filets for everybody!

Fascinating

I does seem odd,that its the only lake in the region,that doesn't freeze over.

Siberia is one of the three coldest places on earth .

Most lake monsters in the Northern hemisphere are probably either sturgeons or more rarely giant salamanders. In this case, it has to be a fish like the Kaluga sturgeon :

http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaluga_(fish)

"It was a dark creature, with a mouth looking like bird's beak." This makes me think so.

Fascinating

I does seem odd,that its the only lake in the region,that doesn't freeze over.

Siberia is one of the three coldest places on earth .

Geothermal activity or mineral deposits can keep water from freezing. Thats why salt water freezes at a lower temperature than fresh water. The salt lowers its freezing point. Other minerals do this too. High concentrations of minerals might also explain why there is no native plant life in the lake. Its kind of too bad that there isn't more factual information in this article. It is also interesting to me that the ONLY references on the internet having anything to do with this lake all basically talk about this lake monster or UFOlogy. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but do a wiki search on any other lake or even landmark and there will be at least some cursory information regarding its history or in the case of something like this - you would think that somebody would have conducted a water analysis to figure out why it doesn't freeze over or why plants don't grow in it.

Just wierd.

Most lake monsters in the Northern hemisphere are probably either sturgeons or more rarely giant salamanders. In this case, it has to be a fish like the Kaluga sturgeon :

http://wikipedia.org...i/Kaluga_(fish)

"It was a dark creature, with a mouth looking like bird's beak." This makes me think so.

Do sturgeon's attack people?

Is it bad that I found the "Elephant Who Thinks It's a Giraffe" headline more intriguing?

• Like 2

Geothermal activity or mineral deposits can keep water from freezing. Thats why salt water freezes at a lower temperature than fresh water. The salt lowers its freezing point. Other minerals do this too. High concentrations of minerals might also explain why there is no native plant life in the lake. Its kind of too bad that there isn't more factual information in this article. It is also interesting to me that the ONLY references on the internet having anything to do with this lake all basically talk about this lake monster or UFOlogy. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but do a wiki search on any other lake or even landmark and there will be at least some cursory information regarding its history or in the case of something like this - you would think that somebody would have conducted a water analysis to figure out why it doesn't freeze over or why plants don't grow in it.

Just wierd.

Well I wondered if it was similiar to Salt Lake in some way,but you think they would have stipulated this.

If research teams do go,you would think they would have tested the water.

Maybe they found nothing unusual ...?

I wonder if the same research team that went after the Russian Bigfoot ( remember, evidence released soon ? ) is the one that will go to this lake.....

• Like 1

I wonder if the same research team that went after the Russian Bigfoot ( remember, evidence released soon ? ) is the one that will go to this lake.....

I don't think so...seems to be a woman ,who is just interested in this particular issue ?

The article doesn't mention her researching anything else previously .

Most lake monsters in the Northern hemisphere are probably either sturgeons or more rarely giant salamanders.

Is this your summation of the phenomenon after years of research in the field ? It does seem as though you have stated this as fact.........

Well I wondered if it was similiar to Salt Lake in some way,but you think they would have stipulated this.

If research teams do go,you would think they would have tested the water.

Maybe they found nothing unusual ...?

I guess thats kind of my point. If it was similar to one of the other mineral-laden lakes...Great Salt Lake, Dead Sea...etc then there would likely be some reference to it somewhere regarding its chemistry. And if it isn't anything out of the ordinary, well thats just strange enough that there would be scientists studying it for that reason and writing papers about it. Its the fact that there is neither that I think is odd. It makes me wonder if it never really freezes or if thats just part of the mythology thats grown up around it. I mean how are we to know one way or another? All we have are a handful of stories from some remote place that none of us knows much about. They could say anything they want and it would be difficult for the average person to confirm or deny it.

Again..just kinda wierd. Truly an unexplained mystery.

Is this your summation of the phenomenon after years of research in the field ? It does seem as though you have stated this as fact.........

From everything I have researched through books, journals, and so on.....That is fact....( well, not the giant salamanders )....Sturgeon, schools of fish, otters, birds, seals, manitee, waves, wakes...

As far as I have seen, there has not been anything found of a monster in a lake as of yet.

• Like 1

Everywhere I read it says it is a reservoir.....That means man made....No monster there.

Not very big either.....

post-92206-0-50449100-1348291090_thumb.j

But hey, the daily mail rocks.

Picture is from a pdf file I found about the Lake.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Felnikfed.pbworks.com%2Ff%2FLake%2BLabynkyr.pptx&ei=4EhdUNXBOufHigKAwYHwAw&usg=AFQjCNGqPO1iK-w9Fhq3ZipaX34gYhYoPw

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

Everywhere I read it says it is a reservoir.....That means man made....No monster there.

Not very big either.....

http://www.google.co...3ZipaX34gYhYoPw

The lake in the pic doesn't even look deep enough to use sonar in, but in the article they are claiming to have gotten sonar hits from 15-17 meters. There is no way the lake in that pic is that deep. I wonder if the whole story surrounding the lake - the monsters, the not freezing in winter, the no plant life growing there - is just made up. The picture you posted, Sakari, seems to have some algae blooms happening. Something is fishy here i say.

From everything I have researched through books, journals, and so on.....That is fact....( well, not the giant salamanders )....Sturgeon, schools of fish, otters, birds, seals, manitee, waves, wakes...

As far as I have seen, there has not been anything found of a monster in a lake as of yet.

Nor a sturgeon, and nor a giant salamander - well, no sturgeon in such instances as to meet the qualifications of contemporary monster evidence posted by witnesses (15 - 30' long, head shaped like a horse with a mane, etc etc), anyway. Between an unknown monster and and unknown giant salamander, it's a difficult choice, right ? I mean, some of the suggested explanations are more bizarre than a supposed unknown animal. Didn't someone hypothesise a manatee the other day for a monster in Russia ?An unknown relic population of Baikal seals, perhaps, but a manatee ?

Except, of course, in the case of Lake Hana, where they're giant 20' plus salmonoids instead......

ps: but I like the way you add "as of yet". :D

Edited by Macroramphosis

Not very big either.....

http://www.google.co...3ZipaX34gYhYoPw

You can't have done that much research then, otherwise you'd know that the picture you have shown is not the right body of water ! :)

Lake Labynkyr is 8.63 miles long, and over 2 miles wide at its widest. It would appear that the "monster" has been seen there for many years, as well.

Edited by Macroramphosis

Actually, I have to laugh. In the pdf you posted there is a picture of the correct piece of water, which is totally apposite to the story, but which you obviously did not reconcile with the picture you posted.

I also think the term 'reservoir' used in the same pdf is a simple translation mistake. The Russian author was obviously looking for an English word to describe a body of water. There is no way at all that the lake would be a reservoir in a landscape of lakes on a geological landscape such as where is it situated. There is no need for a reservoir for hundreds of miles in either direction.

Edited by Macroramphosis

It's a more factual statement than anything to do with a "lake monster"

Actually, I have to laugh. In the pdf you posted there is a picture of the correct piece of water, which is totally apposite to the story, but which you obviously did not reconcile with the picture you posted.

I also think the term 'reservoir' used in the same pdf is a simple translation mistake. The Russian author was obviously looking for an English word to describe a body of water. There is no way at all that the lake would be a reservoir in a landscape of lakes on a geological landscape such as where is it situated. There is no need for a reservoir for hundreds of miles in either direction.

There's a man-made reservoir in the Adirondacks and there are plenty of natural lakes there. So, yes, there is precedent for this.