Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

See-Through Soil Could Improve Crops

Still Waters

Newly developed transparent soil could help shed light on the secret world of plant roots. The new material, developed by biologists, chemists and physicists, could improve crops and identify new ways of preventing outbreaks of food poisoning.

Plants absorb water and minerals with root systems that can encompass a volume larger than the above-ground parts of plants. Scientists would love to learn more about roots, but much about them remains hidden underground.

http://www.livescien...rove-crops.html

A synthetic compound, modified to mimic soil chemistry, watered with a customised liquid, using genetically-modified e. coli. Anything real besides the jellyfish juice? No, really I hope they are successful and can find a way to apply their findings to actual soil.

Let`s raise a glass or two . Soil has been untouched for far too long . It`s time for change .

• Like 1

"If we understand better the contamination route, then we can develop strategies to limit the transfer of E. coli to the food chain,"

Just hope they can contain or "develop strategies to limit the transfer" of any contamination that they may make in the process

It looks like the water absorbing polymer crystals that have been on the market for years.

Let`s raise a glass or two . Soil has been untouched for far too long . It`s time for change .

Yes, I was just looking at some soil the other day thinking, how boring... I wish it were different somehow.

Unbeknownst to me, others had the same thoughts. Imagine my surprise. ;)

Something mothers all over the world will be enthusiastic about - clean dirt...

Sometimes it's the mother who likes to play in the dirt! :lol:

Edited by meryt-tetisheri
  • Like 1

If this stuff goes into widespread use... I guess we can all say we are older than dirt!...

(up till now I've always said "I may not be older than dirt... but I was a beta tester"...)