Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Cranks and crazies' have taken over Repubs

questionmark

The Australian treasurer, Wayne Swan, in an unusually blunt criticism of US politics weeks before the presidential election, said "cranks and crazies" had taken over the Republicans and posed the biggest threat to the world's largest economy.

Swan, one of few world leaders able to boast his country had avoided recession during the global financial crisis, also labelled the Tea Party wing of the Republicans as "extreme".

"Let's be blunt and acknowledge the biggest threat to the world's biggest economy are the cranks and crazies that have taken over the Republican party," Swan said in a speech to a conference in Sydney.

Read more

And I thought I was the only one to believe that..

• Like 1

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• acidhead

• The Mule

• zenfahr

Popular Days

Had this guy never heard of nixon?

Nixon had hardly taken over as the mainstream in that time (besides I am a little partial there 'cause he is the last Republican I supported)

Wow. Maybe time to do some new recruiting.

Well I can't say the Australian's are totally wrong!

The Tea Party Freshmen all signed the "oath" of Grover Norquist. I'm thinking there has to be some legal ramifications here. You cannot swear an oath to something that impedes you from carrying out your responsibilities as a representative of the people...just a thought. Your "first oath is to the people who elected you to represent them...accomplishing nothing for them is not doing a very good job.

This oath has caused gridlock...gridlock has stalled not only "our" economy but the entire world economy. I'm not saying I want these guys to jack up taxes and Spend! Spend! Spend! What I do expect is for adults to behave like adults when it comes to solving problems. Ideologies do not serve that responsibility. When you have a problem to solve, all possibilities must be put on the table...which includes...cutting spending AND increasing revenues....it's called common sense.

Kudos to the other nations out there that are starting to grumble that our disfunction is effecting THEIR countries and that's flat not fair to the rest of the world...

we need a new plan!

How about...reducing the Gov't Bureaucracy...bring the troops home...shut down half of our foreign bases...reduce military spending...remove tax loopholes...remove regulations that prevent people from starting a small business and earning a buck...that's a nice start.

Edited by Jeremiah65

And I thought I was the only one to believe that..

"Despite President Obama's goodwill and strong efforts, the national interest was held hostage by the rise of the extreme Tea Party wing of the Republican party," he said.

Yeah, certainly no bias showing there.

If I had to choose between an extreme liberal or an extreme conservative government, I could probably tolerate an extreme conservative one more.

If I had to choose between an extreme liberal or an extreme conservative government, I could probably tolerate an extreme conservative one more.

I would too, but I have my problems with extreme reactionary governments. And that is what the Republican party's talking heads look like to me: Extreme reactionaries.

Edited by questionmark

Not just over the ponds, up north it looks like the GOP has lost the plot, which is a shame. Maybe after this election they'll give themselves a hard look and set about building themselves up to appeal to more Americans instead of select hardcore groups. Though I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Both the D's and the R's are responsible for the mess America is in today. The D's only complain when not enough money was increased through taxation. The argument is a double edged sword.

It's getting rather old.