Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Keep violent prisoners in prison

DKO

LAWYERS say a NSW government proposal to keep violent prisoners that show no signs of rehabilitation in jail beyond their imposed sentence are flawed and threaten to undermine the justice system.

The NSW Law Society says it has serious concerns about the new legislation announced yesterday by Attorney-General Greg Smith who said his changes were about protecting the community from the "worst of the worst".

The changes, modelled on existing legislation for serious sex offenders, will allow the state to make an application to the Supreme Court to have a violent prisoner kept in jail or placed under extended supervision upon their release.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/new-violent-prisoner-proposal-flawed-say-lawyers-20120924-26h2w.html#ixzz27Nn73Q25

I'd basically lock people up until they've fulfilled whatever obligations of their imprisonment, six months or thrity years however long or short it takes.

I've always disliked the idea of prisoners who have shown a repeated patterns of violence just being released because they've served their time in time out.

• Like 1

How about simply giving very long sentences to those who commit extremely violent crimes? If you give someone 99 years you won't have this problem.

• Like 6

The chair of the NSW Law Society's criminal law committee, Pauline Wright, said if a prisoner misbehaves while in jail then then they can be charged and punished if convicted.

But, Ms Wright said, it was completely inappropriate to punish someone for "something they might do in the future". The proposed legislation could turn the "entire justice system on it's head", she said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/new-violent-prisoner-proposal-flawed-say-lawyers-20120924-26h2w.html#ixzz27O2ad9za

The above extract sums it up for me. If a prisoner is still considered violent - that must have been evident by their behaviour within the prison system. Sentences can be reduced for good behaviour and bad behaviour, where proven should also allow sentences to be extended via correct use of the justice system.

Punishing someone who has served their time for something they "might do" is quite a frightening prospect and not necessary if they have been correctly punished during their time in jail.

What needs clarification is what are behaviours that show a lack of rehabilitation? If these are able to be concisely clarified then the opportunity to extend the sentence is available in the prisoner's own lack of correct use of their jail time aka: violence toward other inmates, solitary confinements for breach of rules etc - these should be investigated and known and a cumulative punishment attached where they are proven - they are all arguably breaches of the law while interred after all.

• Like 1

Yeah it is a touchy subject, I hate the idea of these violent people just being release to most likely commit another violent crime but also it would be hard to define if they're rehabilitated or not.

Obviously any crime within the prison could possibly make it harder to prove they're safe to be released but would a bad attitude also prevent them from being released?

How about simply giving very long sentences to those who commit extremely violent crimes? If you give someone 99 years you won't have this problem.

That's what happened to me! I'll be 136 when I get out of here. :(

p.s.

Maybe they should be in a lunatic asylum rather than a prison.

Edited by Eldorado

How about changing the way we look at 'punishment' and start looking at 'protecting' the rest of society from these criminals. That was the original reason people were locked up, they were a danger to society and the public needed to be safe. I still see the criminals as having way too many rights and the general public has to walk around as prey for these creeps.

• Like 1

they serve their time they served their time.

Isn't Charlie Manson up for parole soon? Mark David Chapman should be paroled too by now.

Isn't Charlie Manson up for parole soon? Mark David Chapman should be paroled too by now.

Charles Manson recently came up for parole. Was denied because he bragged about being a dangerous man, haha.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/charles-manson-denied-parole-dangerous-man/story?id=16111128#.UGJDQrJlRcQ

• Like 1

Put them on an island miles from nowhere in shark infested waters give them everything they would need and walk away and let them do to each other the thing they like to do. :gun:

Put them on an island miles from nowhere in shark infested waters give them everything they would need and walk away and let them do to each other the thing they like to do. :gun:

That's what the British did 200 years ago with the Australians :tu:. Worked out for us ay? :)

• Like 1

Same thing the British with America. Did it work out for us?

Yeah but America isn't a shark infested island, miles from anywhere. :)