Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Giants of ancient egypt are fact

egyptian lad

I was wondering about that myself. He seems not to be aware you have regular sandstorms there.

E.Lad is assuming apocalyptic type thunder and sand storms, the first is an absolute rarity in Egypt, the second though frequent are never huge enough to bury a city particularly since Alexandria is not built in the middle of the desert, and during the ancient times a larger area around it was cultivated compared to modern Alexandria. Compare the area of cultivated land during the Ptolemaic period and present day Alexandria. The city has never been sitting in the middle of a desert to be totally engulfed by sands.

ahhh molokhia and rice.. nummm :D

i seriously doubt that all egypt history is wrong

however in ancient times it's said that people were taller and bigger than today's people

giants .. by today standards maybe but not the way you describe

That might be the missing link between mummification and meloukia!

Maybe they stuffed those mummies with that, hahaha!

Say, Meryt and Knight, when I was Googling to find that wedge shaped kitchen knife Meryt was talking about, I found out that that dish is also called "Jew's Mallow". Is it really called that way in Egypt ans Syria??

however in ancient times it's said that people were taller and bigger than today's people

Maybe 'it is said', but no one ever found proof of it.

And in general people were lots shorter than they are now.

Good and healthy food, good health care, and not a lot of stress (survival and all that scheise) makes people grow taller.

Decades ago I wrote a paper about stress, and one of the interesting things I found out is that stress - whether caused by physical (disease, hunger, and so on)) or psychological trauma - inhibits the growth hormone. Or better: the synthesis of stress hormones prevails the synthesis of growth hormone.

+++

EDIT:

This is the index:

th_Scriptie_Stress.jpg

I almost had to weep while copying this...jesus. I once had a bright future laying in front of me.

..............sigh.............

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 1

Maybe 'it is said', but no one ever found proof of it.

And in general people were lots shorter than they are now.

Good and healthy food, good health care, and not a lot of stress (survival and all that scheise) makes people grow taller.

Decades ago I wrote a paper about stress, and one of the interesting things I found out is that stress - whether caused by physical (disease, hunger, and so on)) or psychological trauma - inhibits the growth hormone. Or better: the synthesis of stress hormones prevails the synthesis of growth hormone.

I must have been a really stressed kid. I am 4"11

If there was any evidence for giants it would be swept under the carpet at the smithsonian institute or somet. That sort of evidence would put evolutionary and biological sciences in a right hole! There goes materialism :(

Lol

I must have been a really stressed kid. I am 4"11

Well, were you? Disease in general, or a hereditary disease is a form of stress.

And genetics comes into play too, of course.

If there was any evidence for giants it would be swept under the carpet at the smithsonian institute or somet. That sort of evidence would put evolutionary and biological sciences in a right hole! There goes materialism :(

Lol

This conspiracy argument is getting tiresome.

I have posted about the finds a South African professor made: he found many huge bones belonging to Homo Heidelbergensis. These guys were 7 feet tall or more on average.

But they lived hundreds of thousands of years ago in South Africa.

And they are our ancestors.

Nothing was hidden, it was only hidden for those who don't know where and how to look for relevant info.

Edited by Abramelin

E.Lad is assuming apocalyptic type thunder and sand storms, the first is an absolute rarity in Egypt, the second though frequent are never huge enough to bury a city particularly since Alexandria is not built in the middle of the desert, and during the ancient times a larger area around it was cultivated compared to modern Alexandria. Compare the area of cultivated land during the Ptolemaic period and present day Alexandria. The city has never been sitting in the middle of a desert to be totally engulfed by sands.

Alexandria he's only claiming was sunk at the time, plus being in the delta, it's a special case. All the others he mentioned from Abydos to Aswan are right on the edge of the desert, or close enough that several thousand years of small sandstorms and neglect are more than enough to leave parts of them buried without the need for a cataclysm. You'll notice the only two examles of actual burial he uses are convenently laying on the ground or already imbedded in it.

You're making me feel hungry Knight, and molokhia is not available here (not that it would do me any good, I can't cook it, but surely can eat it)! :yes:

Ancient Egyptians were not giants or even exceptionally tall. RamsesII was considered exceptionally tall compared to his contemporaries and he was 172.7, my son is taller!

Alexandria he's only claiming was sunk at the time, plus being in the delta, it's a special case. All the others he mentioned from Abydos to Aswan are right on the edge of the desert, or close enough that several thousand years of small sandstorms and neglect are more than enough to leave parts of them buried without the need for a cataclysm. You'll notice the only two examles of actual burial he uses are convenently laying on the ground or already imbedded in it.

E. Lad is proposing that the destruction of Alexandria, the burial of the Pyramids and Sphinx..etc. took place during one event and that is the reason several pyramids and statues were abruptly abandoned before they were finished.

You're making me feel hungry Knight, and molokhia is not available here (not that it would do me any good, I can't cook it, but surely can eat it)! :yes:

Ancient Egyptians were not giants or even exceptionally tall. RamsesII was considered exceptionally tall compared to his contemporaries and he was 172.7, my son is taller!

we had molokhia yesterday .. i think there's still left over i'll email them :D

and thanks for telling me that about ramses II i feel much better now knowing am taller than great ramses lol

• Like 1

Good health, good health care, and you gave him a comfortable life, and...lots of proteins.

My father was that size, btw, and I - with my 6 feet - am the smallest of the four sons my parents raised.

I have to say my mother was an inch taller than my father.

And where can I get that Egyptian dish?

I watched the Egyptian woman prepare that dish, and I want to taste it.

I am a lousy cook.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 1

Lol

Hardly, academic and scientific institutions are highly competitive. It would be hard to imagine that an archaeologist or paleontologist who discovered ancient human giant fossils would simply turn his/her back on the chance of being a pioneer whose findings may change the course of his field.

• Like 1

we had molokhia yesterday .. i think there's still left over i'll email them :D

and thanks for telling me that about ramses II i feel much better now knowing am taller than great ramses lol

Ya bakhtak! Expecting my share in an email :D

Bon apetit Knight

• Like 1

Well, were you? Disease in general, or a hereditary disease is a form of stress.

And genetics comes into play too, of course.

No I wasn't. :D Its just the genes on my mums side of the family i think. The other half is 6"2 so lets hope it all balances out when we have kids. :lol:

sorry for the OT I was having trouble taking certain posts seriously.

Ya bakhtak! Expecting my share in an email :D

Bon apetit Knight

da7na 7an raya7oke ! :D

thanks and bon aptite to you too .. now i'll take my tail and go elsewhere before i drag it off-topic hehehe

• Like 1

Good health, good health care, and you gave him a comfortable life, and...lots of proteins.

My father was that size, btw, and I - with my 6 feet - am the smallest of the four sons my parents raised.

I have to say my mother was an inch taller than my father.

And where can I get that Egyptian dish?

I watched the Egyptian woman prepare that dish, and I want to taste it.

My children are big carnivores :)

I seem to remember reading a couple of years ago that the Dutch are now among the tallest people in the world. As for molokhia, unfortunately it is unobtainable in this corner of Europe. I have to wait until I go to Cairo to eat it !

24.jpg

I was following the discussion several of you were having about the instrument depicted at top-center in the above illustration. Many of you have arrived at a consensus that it was some sort of a knife used by Egyptian embalmers. I know you're all going to hate me for saying this, but I'm reasonably certain it's not a knife. At least, not of the sort used by ancient Egyptian embalmers. Their tools are fairly well attested, such as the knives seen below:

esdc4168.jpg

Not shown is an obsidian knife, which was preferred for making the initial incision in the lower-left flank to remove the internal organs.

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what the object might be. All I could figure out about the illustration is that it's adapted from a Theban tomb, which narrows it down to about six square miles of burials stretching over the span of some 1,500 years, so that isn't terribly helpful. This is clearly only a small portion of a larger tomb scene, so one wonders what must be missing?

It's rarely the case that the artisans who decorated tombs would just splash random images of objects on the walls. In their minds, as well as in their practice, everything required a context. Based on what I myself can see, I am quite certain the center object and the object off to the left are fragments of an inscription, meaning they're hieroglyphs. So little is preserved in the image that I can't really guess at what the inscription might say, but I can attempt to make some sense of the glyph at top-center.

I cannot find an exact match for it among the regular repertoire of hieroglyphs, which means it's most likely a variant of one of the standards (many hieroglyphs had numerous different variants, and sometimes a variant barely resembled the original). To me it somewhat resembles a basket like you see in the second register at left and toward the midline in this wall scene (the basket containing fish). Such baskets were often used in embalmer's workshops to hold rolls of linens and similar items, and have been found in embalmers caches near the sites of many tombs.

But the object also resembles a variant for the glyph designated S22, which had numerous functions in the Egyptian vocabulary and represented the sound values st, sT, stt, and sti. These roots are used in numerous words involving cloth and weaving. A caption in a vignette such as this one is going to be directly related to what's being depicted, so I personally tend to lean toward this identification of the object. The scene shows a mummy being wrapped, so it makes sense. No cutting is involved in the scene. Again, however, without seeing more of the scene and especially more of the inscription I cannot be sure, but I'm reasonably certain the object is not a knife.

Now, what in the hell the object off to the left is, I have no idea. Abe suggested in an earlier post that it looks like an oil can. I can see why. I'd tentatively identify it, perhaps, as some sort of censor or offering device for oils, but I can't be terribly confident about it.

To keep my post relevant to the silly theme of this discussion: No giantes are depicted here. :D

• Like 1

24.jpg

I was following the discussion several of you were having about the instrument depicted at top-center in the above illustration. Many of you have arrived at a consensus that it was some sort of a knife used by Egyptian embalmers. I know you're all going to hate me for saying this, but I'm reasonably certain it's not a knife. At least, not of the sort used by ancient Egyptian embalmers. Their tools are fairly well attested, such as the knives seen below:

The image is part of a lecture series and the entire page that contains the image an be here http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/history/lecture06/25.html

There's no information about the item in question though they do make a reference to a book by singer. I believe the book is this one.

Title A History of Technology: The Mediterranean civilizations and the Middle Ages, c. 700 B.C. to c. 1500 A.D

Volume 2 of A History of Technology, Trevor Illtyd Williams Author Trevor Illtyd Williams Editor Charles Joseph Singer Publisher Clarendon Press, 1956 Original from the University of Michigan Digitized Oct 31, 2007

It's possible the referenced book would contain more information about where the image is located. Sadly I have no access to that book.

Edited by Quaentum

The image is part of a lecture series and the entire page that contains the image an be here http://www.hort.purd...cture06/25.html

There's no information about the item in question though they do make a reference to a book by singer. I believe the book is this one.

Title A History of Technology: The Mediterranean civilizations and the Middle Ages, c. 700 B.C. to c. 1500 A.D

Volume 2 of A History of Technology, Trevor Illtyd Williams Author Trevor Illtyd Williams Editor Charles Joseph Singer Publisher Clarendon Press, 1956 Original from the University of Michigan Digitized Oct 31, 2007

It's possible the referenced book would contain more information about where the image is located. Sadly I have no access to that book.

Yeah, I found that page on the horticulture lecture. I think it may have been in there where I learned the image is part of a scene from a tomb in Thebes. Unfortunately it's only a small portion of a larger tomb scene, so interpreting it beyond a general sense is difficult. I have numerous books on major Theban tombs—both private and royal, of which this scene would belong to the former—so maybe if I have time I'll look through some of them.

Not that it really matters much. It's fun to make sense of such scenes and to discuss them like we're doing, but I think it's safe to say we've already destroyed egyptian lad's sadly misinformed stance that the ancient Egyptians did not mummify. I mean, really?

I don't have that book by Williams, either. Chances are, however, it's the same truncated scene.

• Like 1

It makes more sense for it to be a basket than a knife. It was difficult to imagine how such a curved knife would be used in mummification, unless as Harte mentioned, to chop herbs used in the preparation.

To keep my post relevant to the silly theme of this discussion: No giantes are depicted here. :D

Don't be so sure, someone might say "look how much larger the corpse is compared to the embalmers, this is proof that the deceased was a dead giant being embalmed by medium-sized giants" ! Kidding :w00t:

It makes more sense for it to be a basket than a knife. It was difficult to imagine how such a curved knife would be used in mummification, unless as Harte mentioned, to chop herbs used in the preparation.

It was actually more common to use incenses like frankincense and myrrh, both of which were heated to release the scent. But I read that earlier post of Harte's and couldn't help but think of...Kentucky Fried Chicken. Mmm, fried mummy chunks by the bucket. :lol:

Don't be so sure, someone might say "look how much larger the corpse is compared to the embalmers, this is proof that the deceased was a dead giant being embalmed by medium-sized giants" ! Kidding :w00t:

No! Stop encouraging egyptian lad!

• Like 2

E. Lad is proposing that the destruction of Alexandria, the burial of the Pyramids and Sphinx..etc. took place during one event and that is the reason several pyramids and statues were abruptly abandoned before they were finished.

I know, though he didn't specifically state Alexandria itself had been buried, just sunk. If we take that out of the running, all the rest as I said can be perfectly accounted for by eons of normal weather. Even the sphinx is sitting in a huge pit on the edge of a cliff, exactly where you'd expect blowing sediment to accumulate. Only the lowermost couple courses of the pyramids themselves were ever buried, which isn't much

over the amount of time between then and now, especially when we know sand can creep at a pretty good rate under ordinary wind conditions without it ever even kicking up a storm.

• Like 1