Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New voter I.D. laws

jugoso

Right. Because vote fraud is obviously a myth.... I will say that any State that requires a photo ID should provide it free of charge to those who cannot pay.

• Like 2

Right. Because vote fraud is obviously a myth.... I will say that any State that requires a photo ID should provide it free of charge to those who cannot pay.

And also should travel to each and every household that cannot go there and get an ID.

• Like 2

Isn't a driving license necessary for driving? Or a photo ID to conduct general transactions like check cashing? What about passports?

• Like 3

Isn't a driving license necessary for driving? Or a photo ID to conduct general transactions like check cashing? What about passports?

Yes, but. Driving is a privilege, voting is an unalienable right that the government is not to restrict but to foment. A drivers license does not say if you are an US citizen, it just seez that person such is authorized to drive vehicles of this and that type. And passports is something that you are not required to have, unless you plan to go abroad.

• Like 1

If they are legal citizens they shouldn't have a problem getting an ID. I don't think the license bureau or its location is some deep dark secret. If someone can't figure out how to get an ID they probably can't use the voting system either.

• Like 6

Many people consider this a "poll tax".

The main point is that it cannot cost any money for a person to vote.

Unless a free picture ID is provided it is "costing" a person to vote.

Very reason there are ballot drop off stations for mail in or absentee ballots. Cannot force anyone to purchase a stamp in order for them to vote.

24th

Nibs

• Like 3

Haven't we had this discussion in another thread?

Perhaps. I just wanted to post the video cuz in thought it was funny. As is this one IMO

I'm pretty divided on this issue, while I don't see how anyone could by any stretch of the imagination have a desire to vote and not have any form of identification(unless you're homeless or a hermit who does not interact with the outside world at all you pretty much have to have an I.D. of some kind), I still don't feel voting should cost you money. Unfortunately there's those who want to abuse the system, so some safeguards need to be put in place.

Maybe have someone at the entrance do a SSN check from a government database(and after a successful check have that number flagged so it cannot be used again)before entry and not allow someone in if they don't have one unless they're assisting another voter.

• Like 1

The part of the issue that honestly baffles me is the argument that requiring ID is a form of "intimidation". How on earth is it intimidating to say who you are in a verifiable way? If the person is a criminal they shouldn't be voting anyway. If they are not felons and they ARE citizens and entitled to vote then a simple photo ID should not be an obstacle. The ID must be free or it does amount to a poll tax.

• Like 2

The part of the issue that honestly baffles me is the argument that requiring ID is a form of "intimidation". How on earth is it intimidating to say who you are in a verifiable way? If the person is a criminal they shouldn't be voting anyway. If they are not felons and they ARE citizens and entitled to vote then a simple photo ID should not be an obstacle. The ID must be free or it does amount to a poll tax.

Totally disagree. If the person has served their sentence they should not lose their right to vote for the rest of their life IMO.

Voting is both a fundamental right and a civic duty. However there remains one significant blanket barrier to the franchise: 5.85 million American citizens are not allowed to vote because of a criminal conviction. As many as 4.4 million of these people live, work, and raise families in our communities, but because of a conviction in their past they are still denied the right to vote.

Felony disenfranchisement laws in the United States are deeply rooted in the troubled history of American race relations, and the disproportionate racial impact of these laws continues to this day. Nationwide, 13% of African-American men have lost the right to vote, a rate that is seven times the national average. Given current rates of incarceration, three in ten of the next generation of African-American men across the country can expect to lose the right to vote at some point in their lifetime.

http://www.brennancenter.org/content/section/category/voting_after_criminal_conviction

This issue is one of the key issues that make the Republicans look so very mean-spirited.

The number of actual and confirmed cases of voter fraud is very very low. I think in PA it was less than 1%.

So in true Dick Cheney fashion, the Repubs have made a mountain out of a molehill for the 1% solution. Like we don't have enough genuine and legitimate problems in this country, the Repubs generate another out of thin air.

Nutz.

• Like 1

I'm pretty divided on this issue, while I don't see how anyone could by any stretch of the imagination have a desire to vote and not have any form of identification(unless you're homeless or a hermit who does not interact with the outside world at all you pretty much have to have an I.D. of some kind), I still don't feel voting should cost you money. Unfortunately there's those who want to abuse the system, so some safeguards need to be put in place.

Maybe have someone at the entrance do a SSN check from a government database(and after a successful check have that number flagged so it cannot be used again)before entry and not allow someone in if they don't have one unless they're assisting another voter.

When an individual registers to vote all information provided is compared to any available government information. Each county's voter registrations are uploaded to a state system the rejects (until additional clarification is obtained) any records that are too similar. Letters are sent to individual in record asking them to complete new form. Until the form is received the individual is suspended. The only way they could possibly vote is provisional and even if they do that, the same previously requested information will still need to be presented. Again, before the provisional ballot is counted (or even opened) all information is processed through the state system to make sure they haven't already voted and that they are eligible.

Every day, each election office receives information from other states notifying them that an individual has registered and that the individual needs to be removed from the roles of the prior residence. Same information is received regarding deaths.

Nibs

If they are legal citizens they shouldn't have a problem getting an ID. I don't think the license bureau or its location is some deep dark secret. If someone can't figure out how to get an ID they probably can't use the voting system either.

Again, some people have never had a birth certificate (born in rural areas and/or thousands of miles away from where they are now), some people cannot physically go there, making one pay for a voter ID is a poll tax which is illegal. In the US, you are NOT required to produce papers (ID) like the Nazi's required.

• Like 1

NO. No you don't.

Correct - you don't. UNLESS:

You want to drive

You want to rent a video

You want to check out a book from a library

You want to cash a check

You want to avoid breaking the law when being asked for ID in some States

In other words - you don't have to have an ID to breathe but to interact within our society on any level other than the poorest...you NEED some form of ID.

• Like 1

If these people care so little about voting that the can't get a freaking ID to prove they are who they say they are maybe they shouldn't vote. If someone told me I had to buy a football helmet to wear when I went to vote I sure as hell would because I care about my right to vote. Like these people can't find some bleeding-heart liberal social worker to take them somewhere to get a ID? Heck they'll probably pay at least half the cost if they promise to vote for the current spender-in-chief. I can't believe anyone who votes would be against this because any act of voter fraud disenfrancises the system.

• Like 3

Again, some people have never had a birth certificate (born in rural areas and/or thousands of miles away from where they are now), some people cannot physically go there, making one pay for a voter ID is a poll tax which is illegal. In the US, you are NOT required to produce papers (ID) like the Nazi's required.

Except, you need to be a US citizen to vote? no? I have no problem whatsoever with someone needing to show ID to prove who they are before they vote. In fact, frankly, it would be stupid not to have to show ID.

• Like 2

Except, you need to be a US citizen to vote? no? I have no problem whatsoever with someone needing to show ID to prove who they are before they vote. In fact, frankly, it would be stupid not to have to show ID.

Which is normal in any country I know except some states in the US of A. But if the government wants you to have an ID with the exclusive use to vote the government should pay for it.

• Like 1

I still cant understand the problem the people from the USA have with national IDs. Here you have your ID (the ones you get when you are a child is free, later you have to pay for the one when you are of legal age and if you lost yours), and you use it to prove your identity, and to vote, to show to the police or any other civil authority, to make shopping with a credit card, etc.

• Like 1

I still cant understand the problem the people from the USA have with national IDs. Here you have your ID (the ones you get when you are a child is free, later you have to pay for the one when you are of legal age and if you lost yours), and you use it to prove your identity, and to vote, to show to the police or any other civil authority, to make shopping with a credit card, etc.

But see, that puts you under government control...like the mark of the beast! :devil:

That is because they are afraid that the government could trace them, being totally unaware of the fact that they all have a unique identification number already by which they can be found, it is called the Social Security Number.

The Democrats are afriad they are going to lose a few votes because they say people can't always get them. The states that have gone to photo voter ID have been providing them for free and even giving them free transportation to get them. *shrugs*

The Democrats are afriad they are going to lose a few votes because they say people can't always get them. The states that have gone to photo voter ID have been providing them for free and even giving them free transportation to get them. *shrugs*

Which negates every arguement gainst id's. You say it's free, they say what about a ride? You say they got a ride, they say you're a nazi. You say no I'm not, they scream it's not fair like a five year old. It's very simple. You must have an id and every accomodation will be made for you to get one free of all charges except a little bit of your time. Why is that still a problem? The libs want to bend the constitution in every way possible in order to "keep up with the times" except this issue and this isn't even screwing with the constitution so long as it's all free. So in this case I agree that we should keep up with the times.

I'd hate to see anyone not allowed to vote who was eligible.

But, ultimately, the individual has to accept some form of responsibility. If they feel 'the man' is trying to cause them not to vote, then they need to demand the right, and figure out how to get it done.

If 10,000,000 latinos are being disenfranchised, it's thier own fault. Granted, they shouldn't have to do this, but the alternative is to just roll over and cry about it...

If the laws suck, then be resourceful, and get them changed. But, until then, pull up the britches and make sure you are allowed to give your voice.