Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Whats your life Like?

Halmista

Are you Proud of your Heritage?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Proud of your Heritage?

• Is that even necessary? Hell YEAH I AM!!!
    • I wish I was born differently

Heyyall Guys.

I'm new Here and I would like everyone to know who I am and where I cam from?

would appreciate it if you also posted and shared stuff on your life in different regions around the world...

ME: I am a resident of the Country Philippines and as for My name call me Halmista.

I just recently got interested in the application of the powers of the Human mind thus I am here learning from all of you wise and knowledgeable people. I hope my participation in this site would not only help me develop mind powers but also further improve myself and inspire others to do the same.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted yes. I am of Irish and English heritage and probably a little Scottish in there and on my natural father's side there is a bit of Native American. I mostly take after my mom's side that is mainly Irish.

I'm 100% American and proud of it.

• Like 2

very proud :) born in canada my mother is japanese and a lil tiny bit metis my father is german irish scottish and something else but i always forget.

• Like 1

I'm Dominican and Puerto Rican. Not really a fan of my culture to be honest. My family is New Yorker Puerto Ricans. I don't think bad habits you get from living in poverty counts as cultural heritage. But my family does.

Plus the Puerto Rican day parade just makes us look stupid. Nothing but a bunch of 20 year olds having an excuse to be drunk before night falls. To be honest every year I find the entire thing kinda embarrassing.

On the upside. The food is delicious.

The Dominican side of my family does not even embrace being Dominican. They are pretty Americanized. Even my great grandmother who died a few years ago at like 100 and something was a pretty all American lady.

I don't mind being American. America does not even have a set culture It just made of a bunch of towns with completely different cultures. In America no two cites are the same. I enjoy the diversity.

• Like 1

I'm not 'proud' per se, because it's nothing that I personally accomplished.

I'm 1/2 Dutch mennonite, 1/4 Roman Catholic Irish Canadian and 1/4 'Free Thinking' Scottish American.

As far as religion goes, I tend towards the latter. :)

What's my life like? Totally uncomplicated. I live in a small town of about 350 people (Likely, British Columbia, Canada). I'm not rich (in the monetary sense) and I have no material wants.

In some ways I feel that I've won 'life's lottery' being born where I was, with the family I have and now, where I live and what I do.

• Like 2

German-Dutch, English-Irish. Though the family legend is that there is some Native American in our tree, every white person I know has the exact same legend. I'm a proud American, but I'm not always proud of the things we do. I'm overworked and under paid, but I have a place to call home, and an understanding, patient wife. All my kids are grown and gone, and sometimes the house seems really empty. Not especially religious, but think the ten commandments and some new testament teachings are good codes of conduct for anyone. I live in a small, rural community where the economy is mainly agricultural.

• Like 1

i am french canadian as far back as you can trace it.

don't really think about it to be honest. i'm more concerned with who i am as an individual. being proud to be accidentally born in a particular part of the world doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. feeling fortunate maybe, but proud? naw

• Like 3

I'm British. My grandparents are from England, Scotland, Scotland and Ireland. (Kinda sad one wasn't from Wales so that i could have the full set)

My country has many faults but is still a country where an education, legal representation and health care are Rights not privileges. I'm proud of that.

:)

Welcome to UM, Halmista! Lang may yer lum reek.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 5

Born and raised Canadian. Mum is from Wales and my grandparents on my Dad's side were from Ireland.

I love my country but am not fond of my city. The only good thing about it is that's it is surrounded by a lot of natural beauty. Forests, hiking trails everywhere along the Niagara Escarpment, waterfalls and Lake Ontario. Makes it easy to escape for a while. :)

Edited by sarah_444
  • Like 2

I'm not 'proud' per se, because it's nothing that I personally accomplished.

Exactly this.

I have no clue how people can be "proud" to be a particular heritage. It took absolutely no effort on your part. You were just born.

I'm 100% ancestrally German. Sometimes I think it's kinda neat for the whole extended family to be one heritage, because I got to experience more of the culture and language growing up. I am proud of teaching myself web design, proud I had the strength to escape an abusive marriage, proud to have fiction published. Those are things I accomplished myself.

• Like 4

Exactly this.

I have no clue how people can be "proud" to be a particular heritage. It took absolutely no effort on your part. You were just born.

Indeed. But you were born free. And you owe that freedom to people who fought and died for better lives for their children. Some may well have been from your own family. We should never forget those sacrifices, in my opinion. :)

• Like 4

I'm American. Born and raised in a suburb in Los Angeles, now I'm residing in the countryside of Maine. I could walk over to Canada if I wanted to! ;)

• Like 1

Indeed. But you were born free. And you owe that freedom to people who fought and died for better lives for their children. Some may well have been from your own family. We should never forget those sacrifices, in my opinion.

Yes, but that has nothing to do with pride. It has to do with gratitude. I am grateful that I was lucky enough to be born in a country that is essentially free.

• Like 1

im a mixxed american and ya i guess im proud but as a young child it got kinda confusing since most people referred to me just as black.

• Like 1

Yes, but that has nothing to do with pride. It has to do with gratitude. I am grateful that I was lucky enough to be born in a country that is essentially free.

Are you saying that we should not take pride in the accomplishments of others?

Edited by Eldorado

You can be proud of someone else, sure, which is essentially recognition that they accomplished something pride-worthy.

I'm not proud of a soldier simply because they served in the military. Some did great things and accomplished great things. Some were probably jerks who accomplished very little. I don't lump people together based on some group they belong to or label they give themselves, or ancestry to bring this back to the topic of the OP.

Pride comes from a sense of accomplishment. Gratitude is being thankful someone did, or accomplished something. They're different things.

• Like 1

I live in South Africa. We have 11 official languages in this country and my first language is Afrikaans. We have alot of cultures and diversity in SA (zulu, english, tswane, xhosa, venda,sotho - to name a few.)..My forefathers arrived in Cape town from the Netherlands in 1652. That is why my language is so close to Dutch.

Ek bly in 'n pragtige land, 'n natuurskoon met asemrowende kuste en die bosveld . Daar is niks so mooi soos die sonsondergang in die bosveld by 'n watergat waar mens wilde diere soos olifante

en leeus kan sien drink aan die einde van 'n baie warm dag. Behalwe vir die misdaad is dit 'n wonderlike plek om te bly.

Translation: I live in a beautiful country with awesome nature as we have breathtaking coastlines as well as the bushveld. There is nothing as wonderful as enjoying the sunset in the bush, watching a waterhole as animals like lions or elephants drink at the end of a hot summer day. Apart from the crime, this is an awesome place to live.

• Like 1

Im Australian :yes: and wouldnt change it for the world. Ancestory is Irish/Scottish since most of our ancestors where convicts sent over from England, i think majority of aussies have this ancestory anyway! But I felt that amazing connection with Scotland when i went there :tu: awesome place. My little baby though has Swedish and Australian heritage.

• Like 1

Yes and no. Can't speak for my father's half, but on my mum's side I know I'm American, which isn't exactly something I'm too proud of...but aside from that I know as far as the Native tribes go I'm at least Mohawk, Apache, and Anasazi (I just tell everyone I'm a Mestizo), and then Finnish Scottish and Rom for the most part. Definitely proud to be Native and Finnish, fond of the other 2 for sure.

• Like 2

I'm 100% ancestrally German. Sometimes I think it's kinda neat for the whole extended family to be one heritage, because I got to experience more of the culture and language growing up. I am proud of teaching myself web design, proud I had the strength to escape an abusive marriage, proud to have fiction published. Those are things I accomplished myself.

This is most likely the best answer I have read..