Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sleep Paralysis & Hallucinations

ava1enzue1a

Nice story... From a physician non the less. So what do you think? Obviously the paralysis itself is a necessary biological function but what about the rest?

I'll take a crack at it.

From I scientific explanation one would assume that during a sp episode, the experiencer is still in a dream state but they are aware of the surroundings and paralysis. So I would think that they are still able to create dreams but only, the dreams would be seen in reality since the said person has their eyes open.

Why are most of sp episodes frightning?

For anyone one to wake up paralyzed, would be a terrifying experience. The feeling of helplessness and vulnerability would create a tremendous amount of fear. In my opinion the amount of fear one might experience just from being paralyzed, will create horrific thoughts therefor creating horrific dreams such as shadows, demons sitting on ones chest, alien abductions, and so forth. So basically someone who is having a sp episode is having a nightmare while awake, so its seems real. The nightmare is played out in reality so to say.

I had a very strange experience last night! I woke up at 3am then went down stairs to drink a glass of water. When I got back into bed and tried falling back asleep, I felt myself slipping into a very weird state which I cannot explain but I do remember being conscious and it was very still, then all of a sudden I was completely paralysed! I could not move any of my body apart from my eyes which where wide open, I was lying on my back and I was staring straight into a blank white face with black hair swirling around as if she was under water, I could only see from her hip upwards, The face came closer and closer to mine then I remember trying to shout, ‘’who are you, who are you?’’ But I was unable to speak, the face then started pulling back and just vanished into thin air, my body became less tense and I was no longer paralysed. After that I thought to myself that was pretty strange so I got on my laptop and Goggled what I had seen and it came up with sleep paralysis, so I read about it for about 30 mins. Then I tried falling back to sleep but I fell back in to being paralysed, this time there was no woman, there was a faint figure of a man standing over me waving his arms around as if he was dancing and I swear there were other people in the room but only really concentrated on the person above me then I came out of it and there was nothing. I then turned on my side and attempted to fall asleep but again after a few minutes I was paralysed so I opened my eyes and could make out a figure of a person really short with blond hair standing by the side of my bed next to the curtains staring at me. I had enough by the 3rd time so I tried telling them to go away because I was getting annoyed with not being able to move!

I had a very strange experience last night! I woke up at 3am then went down stairs to drink a glass of water. When I got back into bed and tried falling back asleep, I felt myself slipping into a very weird state which I cannot explain but I do remember being conscious and it was very still, then all of a sudden I was completely paralysed! I could not move any of my body apart from my eyes which where wide open, I was lying on my back and I was staring straight into a blank white face with black hair swirling around as if she was under water, I could only see from her hip upwards, The face came closer and closer to mine then I remember trying to shout, ‘’who are you, who are you?’’ But I was unable to speak, the face then started pulling back and just vanished into thin air, my body became less tense and I was no longer paralysed. After that I thought to myself that was pretty strange so I got on my laptop and Goggled what I had seen and it came up with sleep paralysis, so I read about it for about 30 mins. Then I tried falling back to sleep but I fell back in to being paralysed, this time there was no woman, there was a faint figure of a man standing over me waving his arms around as if he was dancing and I swear there were other people in the room but only really concentrated on the person above me then I came out of it and there was nothing. I then turned on my side and attempted to fall asleep but again after a few minutes I was paralysed so I opened my eyes and could make out a figure of a person really short with blond hair standing by the side of my bed next to the curtains staring at me. I had enough by the 3rd time so I tried telling them to go away because I was getting annoyed with not being able to move!

If it happens again, calm yourself and ignore the presences. Relax your body and adopt a go with the flow attitude.

If a loud noise erupts in your ears or you feel like your body is vibrating, lift one arm and get out of bed.

You will be in for the shock of your life!!! ;)

If it happens again, calm yourself and ignore the presences. Relax your body and adopt a go with the flow attitude.

If a loud noise erupts in your ears or you feel like your body is vibrating, lift one arm and get out of bed.

You will be in for the shock of your life!!! ;)

Will try it out for next time.

Haha I am really interested in what its all about and the mystery about it, so yeah looking forward to it i just hope its not to frightening!!

Will try it out for next time.

Haha I am really interested in what its all about and the mystery about it, so yeah looking forward to it i just hope its not to frightening!!

Don't be afraid be inquisitive. if you are afraid and you manifest your shadow confront it imeadiatly and confidently. It will go away. Remember.... "there is no spoon"

Hahaha just had to throw that in there.

• Like 1

I remember those days. :) when everything was strange, and those feelings scary. Try and relax and accept everything without judgment.

I just came very close to having my first OBE, woke up earlys hours of the morning and I could already hear the noises so went back to bed. As I lye there the noises got loader until that's all I could hear then the vibrations started at which I was paralysed. I put my left arm out in the air and tryed to pull myself forward, I felt my head and upper body move forward slightly but could only get so far. Then it fealt like someone was tuggging on my left hand with me, but obviously I was stuck it was like there's a belt around my upper waste holding me down.

Overall the experience was very strange but interesting, my left arm even fealt a little numb afterwards. Any suggestions on overcoming the half in half out problem for next time?

Hey, I'm competely new to forums and would of liked to have started a new thread about my issue, but wasn't sure how..

Anyway I've had sleep paralysis off and on for 13 years, the firt time I was 14, the first time I got it I was on holiday, I had the door open, and could hear my family chatting in the kitchen, I started getting this whining noise in my head, getting louder and louder, to the point where its all consuming, I tried to roll over, but couldn't, I felt thie presence of a female in the room, but can't explain why. I was competely paralysed for around a minute, my mind was screaming at me to move but all I could do was wriggle my toes.

I know longer get the loud whining in my ears, but the paralysis has lately becoming frequent, recently in one episode I was drifting off to sleep, which is when it normally happens, then our dog started barking for no apparent reason, this stirred me out of my dozed state, then I heard my named whispered loudly in my ear, once again a female voice, it was so vivid and real I immediately tried to leap out of bed and see who it was but once again couldnt move, it was terrifying.

Last night I had it happen on 3 seperate occasions while trying to fall asleep, each time only lasts a minute or so, on the third occasions, I felt the mattress become suppressed, as if it had the weight of two knees being pressed into it, right beside me.

I have tried communicating with her, through my mind, and verbally, when the attacks happen, but I never have a response.

Any help or ideas would be gradually appreciated.

Ryan

I just came very close to having my first OBE, woke up earlys hours of the morning and I could already hear the noises so went back to bed. As I lye there the noises got loader until that's all I could hear then the vibrations started at which I was paralysed. I put my left arm out in the air and tryed to pull myself forward, I felt my head and upper body move forward slightly but could only get so far. Then it fealt like someone was tuggging on my left hand with me, but obviously I was stuck it was like there's a belt around my upper waste holding me down.

Overall the experience was very strange but interesting, my left arm even fealt a little numb afterwards. Any suggestions on overcoming the half in half out problem for next time?

This is common. try to clear your mind and have a clear powerful intent. back in the day I found it helpful to perform that action quickly like jumping up on a surf board or a kip up.

It's much like breaking a board or brick in martial arts. Focus your intent beyond what you want to accomplish then go for it.

It's going to very important not to doubt yourself.

Last night was the first serious episode of sleep paralysis I have experienced, it was really disturbung. i slept most of the night, woke up ad stated falling back asleep again. I the started to dream and i the dream I heard noise. It got louder inside my mind, and tured ito cackiling laughig. So much like a, evil lauhgig of several people. The somethig tried to posess my mind, and I took cotrol ad told "it" to get out..ad prayed as I felt it was supernatural and evil. When i said get out it stopped ad somethig hit my bed on the left side by my left foot. twice. It felt angry. The I was so scared, I reached for my phone to call someone, but I opeed my eyes and my arms, I couldn't move..a weird sesatio came over me of not beig able to breathe and my ears started ringig, I felt like I was going to die. The I fell back asleep and had strage dreams of a strage man. I didn't recognize him. I woke up and my body hurt. i was disturbed and did research includig scientist friends.

I uderstand the sleep wake REM situation..it's just why, does it have to always be some sort of deomon, dark entity, and people seem to experiece a lot of the same. I ususaly have good dreams. I'm scared that this will happen again. It was horrible I thought I was gonig insane and felt totally helpless.

Mystertious

Last night was the first serious episode of sleep paralysis I have experienced, it was really disturbung. i slept most of the night, woke up ad stated falling back asleep again. I the started to dream and i the dream I heard noise. It got louder inside my mind, and tured ito cackiling laughig. So much like a, evil lauhgig of several people. The somethig tried to posess my mind, and I took cotrol ad told "it" to get out..ad prayed as I felt it was supernatural and evil. When i said get out it stopped ad somethig hit my bed on the left side by my left foot. twice. It felt angry. The I was so scared, I reached for my phone to call someone, but I opeed my eyes and my arms, I couldn't move..a weird sesatio came over me of not beig able to breathe and my ears started ringig, I felt like I was going to die. The I fell back asleep and had strage dreams of a strage man. I didn't recognize him. I woke up and my body hurt. i was disturbed and did research includig scientist friends.

I uderstand the sleep wake REM situation..it's just why, does it have to always be some sort of deomon, dark entity, and people seem to experiece a lot of the same. I ususaly have good dreams. I'm scared that this will happen again. It was horrible I thought I was gonig insane and felt totally helpless.

Mystertious

You have a dualistic nature. You are both animal and mind. The animal is like a hunted mouse, it is constantly looking for the fox. It has to otherwise there would be no more mice. The mind is the creative force of everything. The animal is constantly trying to enforce its instincts upon the mind. If you allow your mind to oblige it, you will create all manner of predatory manifestations. Instead take conciousness control over your animal and realize that you are better served by being a mind/spirit rather than an animal. Let the animal guide you during physical dangers of the physical world, take control of your internal and personal one with your mind spirit and creative power.

Edited by Seeker79

wow,

what you say makes good sense to me. My nature of defense, I have been unconcious that i'm applying it to the mind too much creating fear. my spirit ad love first and foremost, as the past danger is currently not present. Thank you so much...a lot of light brought to me by your response.

take care

:)

• Like 1

wow,

what you say makes good sense to me. My nature of defense, I have been unconcious that i'm applying it to the mind too much creating fear. my spirit ad love first and foremost, as the past danger is currently not present. Thank you so much...a lot of light brought to me by your response.

take care

:)

This is your best bet

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219629&st=0

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

I am new to this and come across if while Googling some weird things that have been happening to me.

When I am am asleep I am experencing horrid things and it is becoming more frequent.

1 Awoke one night, well I thought I was awake and there was a man laying next to me, I jumped out of bed and ran to the front door and outside as I was so terryfied...

2 It feels like I am asleep and I think I then awake, I cant move, I cant breather properly, my eye lids are heavy and I cant move, I feel like I am dying I then hear a ringing in my ears, it keeps getting louder and louder and it feels like it is making me deaf, the more I focus on this horrid ringing the worse it gets but I cant no focus on it as it is so loud and my brain feels like it is going to explode, I had to tell myself to go back to sleep and it would go away.

3 Last night was the worst experience I have had and I have no way of explaining it. I was in bed, I was alseep and suddenly water feels like it is thrown at me.. I really was not imagioning it, I had water on my face, it awoke me and I made a mumbling noise and I think I said "stop" I put my finger on my face to wipe it away , I really do believe I had water on me, I felt it on my hands and felt the force of it hitting my face, I was along and there was no way to explain it. I just went back to sleep, at the time I didnt remember feeling scared.. it is so strange and hard to explain.

can anyone help? it is getting worse and more frequent. The worst times it happens is when I nap during the day on weekends.

This is common. try to clear your mind and have a clear powerful intent. back in the day I found it helpful to perform that action quickly like jumping up on a surf board or a kip up.

It's much like breaking a board or brick in martial arts. Focus your intent beyond what you want to accomplish then go for it.

It's going to very important not to doubt yourself.

I’ve recently created two out of body experiences.

During the first I was able to get out of bed and open my door, as I walked out of my room there was a dark shadow by the stairs. I continued to walk closer, as I did so the shadow came towards with me and I heard a loud high pitch scream which threw me back in to my room and into my body at which point I instantly awoke.

During the second experience after getting out of bed I noticed it fealt very real and wasn’t convinced, so I looked in the mirror and what I saw wasn't my face as I had no eyes and my face was different. This confused me and it followed in to a very dark dream where I had become warewolf and was unable to control myself.

What are you’re thoughts on these experiences?

I’ve recently created two out of body experiences.

During the first I was able to get out of bed and open my door, as I walked out of my room there was a dark shadow by the stairs. I continued to walk closer, as I did so the shadow came towards with me and I heard a loud high pitch scream which threw me back in to my room and into my body at which point I instantly awoke.

During the second experience after getting out of bed I noticed it fealt very real and wasn’t convinced, so I looked in the mirror and what I saw wasn't my face as I had no eyes and my face was different. This confused me and it followed in to a very dark dream where I had become warewolf and was unable to control myself.

What are you’re thoughts on these experiences?

I know the shadow well. Don't be frightened. Although I know it's difficult not to. This is how I deal with it, (http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=2493&showentry=26579) but im a martial artist. If you want, pm and I'll work with you to find a solution.

Yes the mirror, I know this one aswell. Stay away from mirrors in altered states unless you are truly ready to face yourself. Most are not. And there is not really any point unless you are going to make altered states of conciousness a part of your life and a practice. It took me a very harrowing night to conquer the mirror, and I do not recommend it for anyone unless one is thoroughly prepared to deal with fear and put it down permanently without stopping. It was difficult for me and I had a lot of experience under my belt.

Just let me know if I can be of assistance. One of the reasons I maintain a presence on UM is because there was no one for me to turn to during these very same experiences.

Hi All

I am new to this and come across if while Googling some weird things that have been happening to me.

When I am am asleep I am experencing horrid things and it is becoming more frequent.

1 Awoke one night, well I thought I was awake and there was a man laying next to me, I jumped out of bed and ran to the front door and outside as I was so terryfied...

2 It feels like I am asleep and I think I then awake, I cant move, I cant breather properly, my eye lids are heavy and I cant move, I feel like I am dying I then hear a ringing in my ears, it keeps getting louder and louder and it feels like it is making me deaf, the more I focus on this horrid ringing the worse it gets but I cant no focus on it as it is so loud and my brain feels like it is going to explode, I had to tell myself to go back to sleep and it would go away.

3 Last night was the worst experience I have had and I have no way of explaining it. I was in bed, I was alseep and suddenly water feels like it is thrown at me.. I really was not imagioning it, I had water on my face, it awoke me and I made a mumbling noise and I think I said "stop" I put my finger on my face to wipe it away , I really do believe I had water on me, I felt it on my hands and felt the force of it hitting my face, I was along and there was no way to explain it. I just went back to sleep, at the time I didnt remember feeling scared.. it is so strange and hard to explain.

can anyone help? it is getting worse and more frequent. The worst times it happens is when I nap during the day on weekends.

Yes. You are in very nearly the same boat as exodus87.

For both of you, I can offer solutions just to make it stop, or gain tremendous control. It does require tayloring to your own situations and goals, so I am here. PM me if you like. There are to many trolls to effectively deal it here. Both of you have a talent that can be honed, and if you were in a traditional society, you probably would have been identified early on as a candidate to be trained as a shaman. Unfortunately, we no longer have that support structure.

Edited by Seeker79

Hi All

Hey Kirsty,

That's very familiar to what I've experienced since I was a child. How long has it been happening and how often?

The key is to not be afraid of the unknown, but to be inquisitive and accept that you're in an altered state of consciousness.

I know the shadow well. Don't be frightened. Although I know it's difficult not to. This is how I deal with it, (http://www.unexplain...showentry=26579) but im a martial artist. If you want, pm and I'll work with you to find a solution.

Yes the mirror, I know this one aswell. Stay away from mirrors in altered states unless you are truly ready to face yourself. Most are not. And there is not really any point unless you are going to make altered states of conciousness a part of your life and a practice. It took me a very harrowing night to conquer the mirror, and I do not recommend it for anyone unless one is thoroughly prepared to deal with fear and put it down permanently without stopping. It was difficult for me and I had a lot of experience under my belt.

Just let me know if I can be of assistance. One of the reasons I maintain a presence on UM is because there was no one for me to turn to during these very same experiences.

Thanks for the tips seeker, I'll keep all of this in mind for future OOBEs.

I have to say the mirror was very strange, I wasn't convinced that I was experiencing an OOBE as it actually felt as if I was standing so I had to look in the mirror. It was weird seeing myself with no eyes, when I looked closer at my face I was wooshing back and forth like mist then I got stuck there. I don't remember what happened between the mirror and me turning in to a werewolf, but I remember being a werewolf very vividly. It was a lucid dream yet I had no control no matter how hard I tried, it was like seeing myself in third person. When I awoke it felt like it had actually all happened and I was scared I had hurt someone while I was in my state. Needless to say, that's enough to warrant avoiding mirrors.

I'll keep experimenting and let you know how I get on.

I know the shadow well. Don't be frightened. Although I know it's difficult not to. This is how I deal with it, (http://www.unexplain...showentry=26579) but im a martial artist. If you want, pm and I'll work with you to find a solution.

I've had two occasions this week where I've experienced the noises, rushing and feeling of levitation. On both occasions it's been in the morning where I've decided to sleep slightly longer than my usual and both have removed me from my dream as soon as it starts (takes about an hour to come on). The only problem is that I've been able to feel myself breathing, as soon as I notice that my body begins to wake up and the noises dissipate completely. Also the noises haven't been quite as harsh or as a strong, not sure if that’s related.

I've tried in the evenings as well, but it's near impossible to keep myself conciously awake while I enter this state since I usually dream for short while first so tend to fall asleep unlike the mornings.

I'm keen to experience it again so I may challenge my shadow, any suggestions?

Sleep paralysis really interests me as I started experiencing it last year after starting Uni. I had no idea what sleep paralysis was until I browsed this website and then it suddenly made sense, that this is what I had been experiencing.

When I experience sleep paralysis it can range from simple dreams where I can't move to actual hallucinations that I experience in my own bedroom. It's starting to become more common as I usually experience some part of it weekly which is very annoying! When I experience sleep paralysis I always feel extremely exhausted the next day and after having one of these weird dreams I can literally sleep the whole of the next day if I wanted to, I always feel unbelievably tired like someone is sucking away all of my energy!

The hallucinations usually occur less frequent and during day time naps or early in the morning if I go back to sleep after waking up for the toilet or a drink. For example I once thought my dad had come in the room while I was asleep and I had talked to him about my day while not been able to move however this was impossible as he was out at work all day. A more scary hallucination I had was when my friends came in my room as I was unconscious (this never actually happened) or when I awoke to a small man hunched over sat on my chest looking straight into my eyes!!!

As annoying as these experiences may be I welcome them as they do interest me. However, I put it down to my lifestyle at the moment. Since starting uni my sleeping pattern is very messed up and I go out most nights drinking which could be an explanation... During some sleep paralysis episodes though I dream that I have fainted or am fitting where my friends come to my assistance but I'm aware i'm dreaming and can't move no matter how hard I try.. these fainting dreams are REALLY scary so I don't welcome them!!

I've had two occasions this week where I've experienced the noises, rushing and feeling of levitation. On both occasions it's been in the morning where I've decided to sleep slightly longer than my usual and both have removed me from my dream as soon as it starts (takes about an hour to come on). The only problem is that I've been able to feel myself breathing, as soon as I notice that my body begins to wake up and the noises dissipate completely. Also the noises haven't been quite as harsh or as a strong, not sure if that’s related.

I've tried in the evenings as well, but it's near impossible to keep myself conciously awake while I enter this state since I usually dream for short while first so tend to fall asleep unlike the mornings.

I'm keen to experience it again so I may challenge my shadow, any suggestions?

No actually I don't. You are starting to investigate the altered states and work thorough it. Everyone is different so I can't offer any better advice than your own inquisitive attitutude. Ultimately you will experience things that others cannot fathom just be steady and sure. If something specific bothers you I might have a bit more advice, but other than that just march on and feel out all the corners.

Don't worry, you will have a shot at shadow again I promise.

Edited by Seeker79

Sleep paralysis really interests me as I started experiencing it last year after starting Uni. I had no idea what sleep paralysis was until I browsed this website and then it suddenly made sense, that this is what I had been experiencing.

When I experience sleep paralysis it can range from simple dreams where I can't move to actual hallucinations that I experience in my own bedroom. It's starting to become more common as I usually experience some part of it weekly which is very annoying! When I experience sleep paralysis I always feel extremely exhausted the next day and after having one of these weird dreams I can literally sleep the whole of the next day if I wanted to, I always feel unbelievably tired like someone is sucking away all of my energy!

The hallucinations usually occur less frequent and during day time naps or early in the morning if I go back to sleep after waking up for the toilet or a drink. For example I once thought my dad had come in the room while I was asleep and I had talked to him about my day while not been able to move however this was impossible as he was out at work all day. A more scary hallucination I had was when my friends came in my room as I was unconscious (this never actually happened) or when I awoke to a small man hunched over sat on my chest looking straight into my eyes!!!

As annoying as these experiences may be I welcome them as they do interest me. However, I put it down to my lifestyle at the moment. Since starting uni my sleeping pattern is very messed up and I go out most nights drinking which could be an explanation... During some sleep paralysis episodes though I dream that I have fainted or am fitting where my friends come to my assistance but I'm aware i'm dreaming and can't move no matter how hard I try.. these fainting dreams are REALLY scary so I don't welcome them!!

It is apart of your new lifestyle, but you sound a little prone to it aswell. Just maintain an even observers attitude. When you find yourself being frightened... Relax... Go limp... Maintain and observers prespective not a victims... Watch what happens. You might be blown away. Of course getting rid of the partying is no a bad idea aswell. But hey... College is only once. Just get good grades, take as many internships as you can, and don't make a habit of your current night life. You will be alright. ;)

It is apart of your new lifestyle, but you sound a little prone to it aswell. Just maintain an even observers attitude. When you find yourself being frightened... Relax... Go limp... Maintain and observers prespective not a victims... Watch what happens. You might be blown away. Of course getting rid of the partying is no a bad idea aswell. But hey... College is only once. Just get good grades, take as many internships as you can, and don't make a habit of your current night life. You will be alright. ;)

Yeah I did think my new lifestyle would have something to do with it, thanks for the reply! I always try and describe these dreams/hallucinations to my friends but seen as they haven't experienced them they don't understand. Is it true that sleep paralysis can help with astral travel?? I heard it was and had an attempt however on the first try my eyes started vibrating which felt uncomfortable so I opened them and lost the relaxed state I was in. On the second attempt I laid completely still and tried to relax following some tips I read online. What happened was hard to describe and felt very weird, my body just felt strange I can't really describe it but once again I was disturbed. I haven't tried it since

Yeah I did think my new lifestyle would have something to do with it, thanks for the reply! I always try and describe these dreams/hallucinations to my friends but seen as they haven't experienced them they don't understand. Is it true that sleep paralysis can help with astral travel?? I heard it was and had an attempt however on the first try my eyes started vibrating which felt uncomfortable so I opened them and lost the relaxed state I was in. On the second attempt I laid completely still and tried to relax following some tips I read online. What happened was hard to describe and felt very weird, my body just felt strange I can't really describe it but once again I was disturbed. I haven't tried it since

People's minds tend to reject experiences that that are completely foreign in sensation... It's pretty standard to be creeped out. You just have to learn to get over it. Getting older helps.

Yes SP Is an altered state of conciousness just like AP. Just another layer on a large continuum.

• 1 year later...

Hello :)

I got an interesting story to share... also I have no idea what exactly happened so please help? I guess I went into some kind of combination between lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis... or maybe dreamed about having a sleep paralysis? So I went to sleep, very very tired and stressed out (I had an exam that day and one more 2 days later). I dreamed about chatting with someone on facebook. I fell asleep and that facebook pop sound woke me up, but I couldn't move a muscle. I figured out it was sleep paralysis and didn't panic. I opened my eyes, the laptop screen froze and I tried to wake it up tapping the touchpad. After I barely managed to move my hand, it seemed that it wasn't long enough to reach the laptop... so I used my leg instead (yes, it seemed like totally normal and obvious thing to do xD). When I tried to moved, I heard that funny noise in my ears like strestching after a long sleep. I stopped trying to move and just stayed there and waited for my body to wake up. When it did, there was no laptop there, no facebook pop sounds. Half an hour later. My heart ran like crazy also.

So... what just happened? Any ideas? :D I'm really curious.