Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

IQ linked to levels of happiness

Render

Their study of 6,870 people showed low intelligence was often linked with lower income and poor mental health, which contributed to unhappiness.

The researchers are calling for more help and support to be targeted at people with lower IQs.

Their findings were published in the journal Psychological Medicine.

The researchers, at University College London, analysed data from the Adult Psychiatric Morbity Survey in England.

One of the questions was: "Taking all things together, how would you say you were these days - very happy, fairly happy or not too happy?" People's verbal IQ was also assessed.

The highest proportion saying they were "very happy" was found in people with an IQ between 120 and 129 - 43% said they were very happy.

However, the highest proportion saying "not too happy" - 12% - was found in people with an IQ between 70 and 79.

Dr Angela Hassiotis said: "People in the lower end of the normal spectrum are more likely to consider themselves not happy."

The study said lower intelligence was linked to lower income, worse health and needing help with daily life, such as shopping or housework - all of which contributed to unhappiness.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19659985

i thought some of the most famous minds had depression, from there depression rose the need to try change the world for the better. the so called intelligent people who learn what the famous people realized and try to imitate them don't have the same drive, they only learn to impress others. dont know why im ranting, education is important but not more so than personal philisophy.

• Like 2

i thought some of the most famous minds had depression, from there depression rose the need to try change the world for the better. the so called intelligent people who learn what the famous people realized and try to imitate them don't have the same drive, they only learn to impress others. dont know why im ranting, education is important but not more so than personal philisophy.

I think the image of ignorance is bliss stemmed from that belief..

There have also been enough of happy intelligent ppl through time. The depressed ones were just more interesting to write about.

• Like 1

This would explain a lot.... :w00t:

I do indeed believe this. My like where my IQ is. And I have elimated all things from my life that create stress and unhappiness, excepting the public school system (extremely, excessively stressful for a parent) with their random rules I was never there to help create. I wm working on eliminating them and their random rules from my life as much as possible.

I think depression causes a rebirth of the person. I also think that creativity flows from touching hte inside of one's self that is put into play with depression. I don't think depression should be repressed, but merely deeply respected for what it brings to our lives.

It did say the very happy people were 120-129, which is well below genius. The 130's are considered gifted. But of course there are other factors, like the tendancy of not-as-intelligent kids to bully intelligent kids because they feel threatened by them. That can lead to lifelong depression despite the intelligence.

There is also the idea that people with higher IQ tend to see things very differently from everyone else, and that can create a sense of isolation as well.

• Like 1

Why don't they do another survey that would happen to have other elements that control happiness. Seems to me it was just a long winded way to say poor people are less happy then people with more money. Then they linked it to IQ(just verbally mind you).

It's a very misleading article.

• Like 1

Why don't they do another survey that would happen to have other elements that control happiness. Seems to me it was just a long winded way to say poor people are less happy then people with more money. Then they linked it to IQ(just verbally mind you).

It's a very misleading article.

Why is showing a correlation between facts misleading to you?

They looked at different elements and noticed in most cases poor (mental) health and less money contributed to unhappiness.

Verbal IQ is an important factor in being succesful. If not the most important factor. Being social, working yourself up. Not ostracizing yourself. Understanding what is being asked of you, putting abstract concepts into practice.

]Definition: [/b]Verbal intelligence is the ability to analyze information and solve problems using language-based reasoning.

Verbal tasks may involve concepts such as:

Verbal tasks involve skills such as:

• The ability to listen to and recall spoken information;
  • Understanding the meaning of written or spoken information;
  • Solving language based problems of a literary, logical, or social type;
  • Understanding the relationships between language concepts and performing language analogies or comparisons; and
  • The ability to perform complex language-based analysis.

Dr Hassiotis said: "There is some evidence that long term intensive strategies directed at young children from socially deprived backgrounds can have a positive impact not only on IQ, but also on wellbeing and life opportunities.

"Such interventions are likely to be costly, but the initial costs may be offset by future benefits such as a reduced reliance on state benefits and better mental and physical health."

I don't think they wanted to make it look like poor ppl are less happy. It's just pointing out that ppl who need more help with things generally feel less happy then others.

It's an interesting study and if they could make those interventions work, which they suggest, it could have a lot of benefits.

Don't see how any of it is misleading.

Edited by Render

This may all be valid and well thought out and all.. but I keep recalling that Nazis had 'scientific facts' to support their 'culling' of those that didn't 'measure up'... Not that these researchers are proposing anything like that... but it can be a slippery slope if not watched very carefully....

I have a higher than average IQ according to Mensa, and yet I have suffered with mental disorders for most of my adult life, it's no respecter of persons. I used to work with young adults with learning difficulties and mental disabilities such as Down's Syndrome, and I have never met such a happy, content bunch of people.

However I do agree somewhat that if someone isn't very intelligent then they don't have as many life options. They may have to settle for a job rather than a career which fulfils them, which would result in less money and poorer living conditions. I have had to settle for jobs far below my capabilities due to mental illness, and was therefore very frustrated and unhappy. Thankfully my intellect eventually helped me get out of a rut, and get better jobs, which improved my mental wellbeing to a degree.

I think EQ (emotional intelligence quotient) has alot to do with happiness, and a persons ability to deal with the world around them too.

In my mind linked to does not mean it is the cause of! Of course there are correlations/links.... but i could find correlations/links to just about anything if i wanted to.

*edited because i really cant spell or type... i am sure there is still something wrong i just don't see it..lol

Edited by Overdueleaf

For me this sounds strange, I find it hard to be happy with the way things are looking.

I can find happiness in small things in my life but in the big picture I can only see bad things for times to come.

I am a mensa member and have always thought that with the logical thinking that comes with it ( no, high IQ doesn't mean you are wiser or have more valid opinions than others, just have a logical way of thinking)

you can see from a logical perspective that it's downhill with most things in society and it's hard to be happy with this knowledge.

Zam

In my mind linked to does not mean it is the cause of! Of course there are correlations/links.... but i could find correlations/links to just about anything if i wanted to.

Exactly why I think the whole article is misleading.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesmarshallcrotty/2012/04/10/happy-people-are-more-likely-to-drop-out-of-school-earn-less-money-research-shows/

Start there and use the names and studies as guides to find some more truthful info about it. Ed Diener in particular (also called Dr. Happiness)

This may all be valid and well thought out and all.. but I keep recalling that Nazis had 'scientific facts' to support their 'culling' of those that didn't 'measure up'... Not that these researchers are proposing anything like that... but it can be a slippery slope if not watched very carefully....

It wasnt just Germany. In the US and Britain we used to sterilize -

1. The retarded.

2. The deformed.

3. The mentally ill.

4. Those with a family history of criminality or anti-social behaviour.

Social Darwinism was all the rage thoughout the Western World and things only changed after the horrors of WW2 were realised. WW2 gave eugenics a bad name due to the genocide of millions.

• Like 1

yes education is important. ever learning? pls learn basic grammar first

I believe stupid people are happier then intelligent people and rich people are happier then poor people.

Perfect combination for happiness= Being Rich and Stupid.

Actually real studies have much more solid links to happiness.

Money helps, up to about the level where a little more than basic needs and quality of life are met, then the stress of money takes away from it.

Community. Being apart of a loving group of people with a strong identity.

Altruism. Helping others and compassion meditations where huge factors in personal happiness.

Food. Very healthy diets with lots of raw organic vegetables keeps your health strong and your chemistry balanced.

Tight knit groups of people in small communities are amoung the happiest and long living people on earth . Oh and they are rarely wealthy.

I think any corolation with IQ, is a sad commentary about how we live our lives and what we value as important. I think the corolation is related to other socioeconomic factors and not direct at all.

What this documentary when you get the chance, it's available on Netflix

• Like 1

Could it be that those with low IQ are more likely to be materialists?

(they never encounter anything to make them question it unless they go to uni)

I think the researchers bring up the correct factors, materialism is not one of them directly.

It's about needing help and not liking that feeling. It's about seeing your neighbour in a new car and not being able to get one yourself.

It's not about getting stuff directly, it's about not being able to think of a way to get to such a point where you can provide it for yourself.

Edited by Render

For me this sounds strange, I find it hard to be happy with the way things are looking.

I can find happiness in small things in my life but in the big picture I can only see bad things for times to come.

I am a mensa member and have always thought that with the logical thinking that comes with it ( no, high IQ doesn't mean you are wiser or have more valid opinions than others, just have a logical way of thinking)

you can see from a logical perspective that it's downhill with most things in society and it's hard to be happy with this knowledge.

Zam

I feel the exact same way, just looking at society makes me lose faith in humanity these days. You see where the world is going, it is on the brink. Everyone is in debt, threats of a new war in the making, small hopes crushed soon after they arise.

Every so often my hopes will be raised in humanity even with the smallest of things, a child riding his bike on the path thanking me for moving out of his way. Then I jump on my computer later and see something that makes me ashamed to be a human being.

To research and learn about what is going on in this world is a sign of higher than average intelligence I believe, because these things affect everyone. Ignorance would lead you to believe everything is fine, therefore then happiness comes easier. However that is not the case. There's a long road ahead and I don't think it is something to look forward to.

Living in a big house, plenty of money, a loving family provides security of living and therefore an attribute of happiness but the knowledge that this could be turned on its head in just a day is a wake up call.

• 2 weeks later...