Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is a daddy Long Legs?

Junior Chubb

What is a Daddy Long Legs?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What is a Daddy Long Legs?

• A Crane fly
    • A Harvestman arachnid
    • None of the above (please post your answer)

Actually, they are not animals at all, they are very tiny, alien machines:

War-of-the-World-videoslot.jpg

Abramelin...would you mind if i PM'd you with a question about crows...it is a serious question i need to ask you..

Abramelin...would you mind if i PM'd you with a question about crows...it is a serious question i need to ask you..

Lol. you know what I have been watching just now? "In the Company of Ravens", a 110 minutes lecture by John Marzluff. After some videos I posted on UM have been removed because of copyright, you better go find it yourself on YouTube.

OK, Phantom, send me the pm.

• Like 3

Lol. you know what I have been watching just now? "In the Company of Ravens", a 110 minutes lecture by John Marzluff. After some videos I posted on UM have been removed because of copyright, you better go find it yourself on YouTube.

OK, Phantom, send me the pm.

i just tried but it wont let me...i will start a thread in the community lounge because it really does intrigue me.,,

• Like 1

i just tried but it wont let me...i will start a thread in the community lounge because it really does intrigue me.,,

I think I know why you failed to send me a pm: I should delete a number of old pms.

Gimme a minute.

Spider here, in San Diego. And they're all over the place!

Not any of these options would make for a good D.ynamic L.ibrary L.ink though :P

After a recent mention in a thread, and something my son and a friend said recently I thought I would ask the question in this poll. What is a Daddy Long Legs?

For me a Daddy Long Legs (DLL) is a Crane fly, but recently I have come across a rogue percentage of the population that refers to other creatures as DLL, the most common of these is an arachnid known as a Harvestman (a very long legged spider looking creature).

I was wondering which is the most common and if there is a right or wrong on the subject or whether it is area specific as to what a DLL is. Here are a few links if you are interested in further reading or don't have a clue what I am going on about.

Crane Fly

Harvestman

The first written mentioning of Daddy Long Legs?

Thanks for any votes and input...

I voted other because I think daddy long leggs is an effectionate name like "sweet pea"

A dog can be sweet pea or a child can be called sweet pea. But as a kid where I lived it was the spider not the fly.

• Like 1

Yes,its a cultural coinage . Daddy long legs as a spider ,goes wwaaayyy back . Probably to when my mom was a child in the 1930s at least

In New Zealand the daddy long leg has always been the spider version... :yes:

In Australia this is what i know to be a Daddy long legs and there are thousands of them living in people homes.

508A10.jpg