Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anyone catch Survivorman's Top 10 show?

Rafterman

True, that's the difference between training and the real thing, in training you have a safety net, when it's real you're on your own. However, he goes through what real people in real situations encountered, most of the one he cites are the ones who didn't make it. Bottom line is if you're not up to what might happen then you need to stay home on the couch and watch TV.

Worst thing that can happen to you is to panic. Back in the day I was with some guys who were practicing for their map reading merit badges. So his Dad took us out and dropped us off in a relatively remote, it wasn't really but it was an area we we're all that familiar with, so following the map was important. Ok, so we head out and we're following his navigation. I was the Senior Patrol Leader and already had my merit badge so I was sort of the guy responsible for them. We hikes for nearly ten hours and I saw it would be dark soon and asked him when we were going to get to the location he'd planned for us to camp. He got this vacant look on his face, then sudden he freaked out and said he had the wrong map. Well this sent the third guy into his panic mode, completely freaked out and took off running in a dead panic. I told the one guy to sit down and stay put and I dropped my pack and went after guy number three. By the time I caught up with him he'd dropped his gear, striped off his coat and shirt and was so freaked out he couldn't respond to me calling him. I had to tackle his ass and slap the crap out of him to listen. So I finally got him under control but he was only a hairs breathe away from freaking out again.

I get him back and we gather up his stuff on the way back and we make camp. Then I looked at the map and told them we didn't have any problems. We'd followed the map in, all we had to do was follow the map in reverse to get out. Not only that but I'd made some mental notes of certain landmarks so getting back wasn't a big deal. Next morning we walked out, his Dad was waiting for us and all was well. However, it's a great example of how panic can screw the pouch.

Hey, you want to follow the Les method, knock yourself out. I'm not much for sitting around and waiting for help to arrive when all I have is me to be worried about.

Of course, I could have opted to set one of the guys on fire; dinner and a camp fire all in one operation.

So you like Rambo style survival vs common sence survival. I will go for common sence unless I`m running fron the taliban or the law.

edit I call bull on your so called story lol made for a good haha though. Letting go of your mommas hand can cause panic, good thing you were there ;)

Edited by The Silver Thong
  • Like 1

So you like Rambo style survival vs common sence survival. I will go for common sence unless I`m running fron the taliban or the law.

edit I call bull on your so called story lol made for a good haha though. Letting go of your mommas hand can cause panic, good thing you were there ;)

I agree 100%.

Although I can not really be in the discussion, as Kenninsc has me on ignore, I would like to say my father served in the US Army for 38 years, I have several friends that trained in the Marines, and a few in the Navy.....Nothing Kenninsc says is what a US trained serviceman would learn about survival.

My only credentials, 20 years of bow hunting, and my dad.

I agree 100%.

Although I can not really be in the discussion, as Kenninsc has me on ignore, I would like to say my father served in the US Army for 38 years, I have several friends that trained in the Marines, and a few in the Navy.....Nothing Kenninsc says is what a US trained serviceman would learn about survival.

My only credentials, 20 years of bow hunting, and my dad.

Follow Bears and you will get eaten, follow Les bears and you will not ;)

Edited by The Silver Thong
  • Like 1

Other than NetFlix, Hulu, and Apple TV, I don't watch TV anymore. Cable box has been returned and cable reduced to the minimum levels.

Let's throw a 3rd option in...I actually enjoy this show, as they both give good advice. And yes, it appears they have a camera crew, but to me, it is the education, not the action. The video may be a poor example of what they teach. They are great on staying warm, food, water, etc...

Dual Survival

[media=]

[/media]

I actually do enjoy that show and they do have some good tips. Though I do think the guy that hardly wears shoes is a little wierd but he's still a good guy.

To Keninsc It is clear all you really want to do is sling insults at me, although I didnt get to see what got snipped in your post, So I will do myself a favor and just end our conversation. Think what you want cause honestly I couldn't care less if I tried. Peace :st

I like all three of those survivial shows. They are simply meant for entertainment. I've never deluded myself further.

Back to the actual 'bigfoot' claim.

To be honest, that's the type of stuff that still makes me wonder. The credible first hand accounts. There are tons of just 'regular' folk that come forward with strange anecdotes like this and to me that is very intriguing.

Bear Grylls mancrush noted.

I Respect the guy cause he clearly knows how to survive in bleak conditions,i just think his show is made up and he takes the helicopter out to sleep in a hotel whenever he's filming an episode.

Well, it's TV......they're big on drama.

Do you really think Les doesn't have a safety net? Of course he does, it's TV.

I enjoy all three shows and learn something from all of them. They beat the usual TV fare, imo.

As far as Man v Wild I appreciate a show where a man takes off all of his clothes as opposed to the usual woman lol. But I completely agree with evancj that his feats are impossible for most. As a woman I could not do half of what he does when Bear even struggles.

I like Les the most. On one show Les said the animal he most feared encountering (in CA?) was a rutting bull moose.

The “Odd Couple” team is interesting as well.

I watched Man Woman Wild too. And there is a right and a wrong way to hold a coconut crab as my son learned recently. :o

As far as Les’ unexplained sounds he heard, I agree with keninsc. Bigfoot sounds are not described as being “monkey-like” but rather whoops and screams and whistles and chatter, not to mention the occasional English mimicry.

*Disclaimer* I never saw this episode just heard about it and saw clips: There was an episode where Bear jumped off a cliff into a river to throw his scent off a pursuing grizzly. When, all that happened, was a bear (?) touched his tent. I don’t think he even ever saw the bear. So maybe that was a bigfoot, they do like stroking tents according to bf enthusiasts. :)

As far as safety crews, I know Les and Bear have kids. I'd have a safety crew too. No TV show is worth that.

Edited by QuiteContrary

As far as safety crews, I know Les and Bear have kids. I'd have a safety crew too. No TV show is worth that.

My point exactly. They both used staged scenes to depict real things......because it's safer. I just personally like Bear's show better.

I think the rest of the guys hate him here because he has a cool English accent and he's able to do things I haven't been able to do for twenty years now.

My point exactly. They both used staged scenes to depict real things......because it's safer. I just personally like Bear's show better.

Nothing wrong with covering your a$$. Bears show has them all beat when it come to action, and he does have a good bit of great survival tips.

I think the rest of the guys hate him here because he has a cool English accent and he's able to do things I haven't been able to do for twenty years now.

:lol: That last part is a little bit true for me. :lol:

There aint nothing wrong with Bear, he's a good guy, and I love watching his show. I just think Les's strategy a more realistic one for the majority of the people who find themselves in that kind of situation, especially us old men. :yes:

Nothing wrong with covering your a$$. Bears show has them all beat when it come to action, and he does have a good bit of great survival tips.

:lol: That last part is a little bit true for me. :lol:

There aint nothing wrong with Bear, he's a good guy, and I love watching his show. I just think Les's strategy a more realistic one for the majority of the people who find themselves in that kind of situation, especially us old men. :yes:

.....and that's perfectly fine with me. Getting older is not for the weak, that's for darn sure.

Edited by keninsc

I think that I'll chime in just once more on this debate. (and maybe even get around to original topic too) I enjoy Les's show more for the same reason that Keninsc enjoys Bear's show. Its all about who we can relate to more. I have trouble relating to Bear. He's cocky, very athletic, charismatic, and ex-military. I'm none of those things. I can relate to Les more - he just presents more of that average guy persona. I'm just an average guy. Not extremely out of shape, but not athletic either. I don't have any specialized training other than what I learned camping myself and in the Boy scouts when I was a kid. To me, Les's ideas simply seem more practical for the majority of the TV watchers who tune in for his show - more accessible in that sense. And to me - that makes it a more valid teaching tool for helping the average person surivive a situation that they might not have been prepared for. It just reaches more people that can relate to him. When people can relate, they absorb more information.

I have respect for Bear - he's done more stuff than most people can dream of - he's the real deal and does his own stunts which are definitely impressive. I just can't really relate to him as he presents his material in the show. Too much entertainment and action and not enough actual survial tips. But I'm a nerdy, dorky guy - who happens to love being in nature too. We all enjoy those people who we can most relate to. Thats just our humanness coming through.

As for Les having an encounter with a Bigfoot - I don't care how "reputable" or "reliable" a source is - we are all human and our senses are fallible. Having a genuine knowledge of the outdoors is a great thing, but it doesn't mean that you can't be fooled in a suggestive situation. I don't care who you are - if you say you saw, smelled, heard, or telepathically communicated with a bigfoot(thats a joke - I like jokes), my response will always be "Interesting story, got any actual evidence?" Because thats what it is going to take to make me a believer.

• Like 1