Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What's a random thing that scares you?

Wookietim

I also hate the feeling (and it makes my skin literally crawl) of a moss covered branch underwater and I feel it with my foot, and I cannot see that far into the water. I am usually out of the water and halfway up the bank as soon as my toes touch that kinda thing....

• Like 3

When we (my wife and I) put our 3yr old son to bed and go about our business only to come around the corner 15 min later or so and he's either standing there or rocking in the recliner... Heart attack city!

• Like 2

And maybe scarier, when I step on the back porch and our dog, at my feet barks out of nowhere and scares the crap out of me...

• Like 1

For some reason, though I know the ocean is much scarier, I cannot swim in small lakes (anything smaller then the great lakes), rivers or ponds. I don't even remember the last time I was in one. I can boat and canoe in them (thankfully I haven't tipped..yet), but no swimming.

The ocean, I'm cool with though. I could stay there all day.

I even have a fear to canoe on rivers or lakes. The water is so murky, you cannot see what is underneath and I stress that the boat or canoe will sink. Even in shallow waters. I once went on a canoe and the river was getting narrower. The were lots of grassy plants and for a time it felt as if the canoe was getting stuck. I started panicking because if we get stuck, it would mean that I have to get out and swim. Luckily we were able to get out. By then, I was already getting hysterical.

I mean, there are so many snakes in the water.

If there is one place in this world where I wll never go it is the Amazon. With anacondas, piranhas and giant spiders.... I just would not survice.

• Like 2

I also feel like that sometimes. At times things just do not feel real. I will wonder if other people really exist when they are not with me-or are they only part of my 'imagination'.

While I, too, often question the nature of reality, I am confident that the people around me are real. I've encountered so many genuine creeps over the last five years that I know that they aren't illusions. If I created my own reality, everyone would be nice. :hmm:

Other things that creep me out: people who use either tanning beds or spray tans to excess (give me Goth pale over fake tan any day); men with comb-overs (for some reason, I always visualize men with comb-overs sitting in front of a computer in a darkened basement "apartment," wearing only boxer shorts and a wife-beater undershirt, pretending to be teenage boys and chatting up little girls); women with artificial, overly long nails (I love a good manicure but I keep my own nails cut almost to the quick and following the natural curve of my fingertips).

Edited by lizzieboo
  • Like 5

When we (my wife and I) put our 3yr old son to bed and go about our business only to come around the corner 15 min later or so and he's either standing there or rocking in the recliner... Heart attack city!

lol I've been there many times. Equally scary is when my son occasionally sleep walks. Once I was reading in my room and he threw my door open walking in with a bunch of helium balloons. Very unexpected and I'm pretty sure I let out a little scream. Another time I went downstairs at 3 am b/c I couldn't sleep and he was sitting in the livingroom. It always gives me a good startle!

women with artificial, overly long nails (I love a good manicure but I keep my own nails cut almost to the quick and following the natural curve of my fingertips).

This is me too, long nails give me chills! (artificial and natural) I think part of it is the thought of them breaking off suddenly, which is why mine are always pretty short.

• Like 3

I even have a fear to canoe on rivers or lakes. The water is so murky, you cannot see what is underneath and I stress that the boat or canoe will sink. Even in shallow waters. I once went on a canoe and the river was getting narrower. The were lots of grassy plants and for a time it felt as if the canoe was getting stuck. I started panicking because if we get stuck, it would mean that I have to get out and swim. Luckily we were able to get out. By then, I was already getting hysterical.

I mean, there are so many snakes in the water.

If there is one place in this world where I wll never go it is the Amazon. With anacondas, piranhas and giant spiders.... I just would not survice.

The first time I visited Peru I went to a settlement inside the jungle. I was in a group of 8 people. We were near a tributary of the Amazon, and it was hot as I never experienced during the rest of my life. So at some point I threw caution to the wind, and went for a swim. Well I just wanted to cool off, not go swimming for a long time because the further out you went, the stronger the current (I didn't even think of what might be swimming below me) and I would have ended up in the Atlantic, lol.

OK, so I jumped in and wanted to swim around a large bare tree that was lying in the water, a tree the Indians used as a kind of scaffolding to moor their canoes. The tree lay perpendicular to the river coast and stuck like 60 feet out into the water, branches and all. So I reached the end of the tree, and swam back. I felt perfectly at ease though I saw that like 10 people were watching me with big eyes...

Then it happened.... something with what felt like huge claws ripped at the skin of my belly and chest, and I screamed bloody murder. I didn't know what I did exactly but I wrestled myself free, only to discover... that I had swam over some underwater branches of the tree.

When I came out of the water the front of my body was covered in blood, but it looked worse than it actually was. And one of the Indians came to me, and though he didn't speak much Spanish, he said a few important words while pointing at the blood on my chest: "Sangre ! Peligro! Piraña"! Loco !" (Blood! Danger! Piraña! Idiot!).

But I relaxed soon when one of the woman of the village slowly wiped the blood from my chest, heh.

==

Another thing that made me shat my pants...

I live alone, so I am not used to having people around me in the middle of the night. But one time I had an unexpected guest, a Croat whom I had met and hang out with a couple of times. He had been too late to go home with the train, so he asked me if he could sleep on my couch. OK, we watched tv talked for a couple of hours, drank some beers, and so on. Then he went to sleep, but being a near insomniac I went to the other room to go online (here).

So I at some point was thinking about something someone asked me here on UM, and I was staring at the screen. Imagine, it was near dark and as silent as a grave.

Then I saw something in the corner of my eye... and there was this guy standing next to the door like frozen, with eyes popping out, staring at some point above my head.

I thought my heart would stop there and then, lol, but then I saw what was going on: he was sleepwalking. So I stood up, gently touched his arm, and guided him back to the couch. He lay down, and snore within a minute, and next morning he couldn't remember a thing.

==

What truely creeps me out no end is dreams or daydreams of me sinking into the deep dark blackness of the ocean. Even writing this sentence makes me sweat.

I once posted a video, a Google Earth thing, as a reply to someone here who had found some weird anomaly on the bottom of the Pacific, east of New Zealand. At some point in the video you hovered way above the ocean, and then you dove down into the sea, straight to the bottom. I can tell you, I watched it with my eyes half covered.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 4

Geeez that would scare me to

• Like 2

And maybe scarier, when I step on the back porch and our dog, at my feet barks out of nowhere and scares the crap out of me...

That happened to me once I was going into the kitchen one night to get a drink and our dog just starts barking like crazy, scared the p*** out of me I almost broke my ankle

• Like 2

Yes.............. We have huge oak trees and the cockroaches outside are huge, sometimes they get in... Good one

• Like 2

I know this will sound really stupid, but I'm terrified of being abducted by aliens.

• Like 1

being trapped in a dark room full of Paparazzi ( or multiple spiders not that there is much of a difference)

Opening the window blinds to see a face looking in at me.

That would freak me out as well!

• Like 2

Indian call centers and now they have creepy american accents. :cry:

• Like 2

Walking into a spider web! We have a path that spiders make a web across and it is difficult to see in the shadows. I have long hair and I go nuts thinking the spider is in it somewhere.

• Like 1

I can't sleep if the closet door is open. sometime, i think it's closed, but I still have to get up to check.

Also, I can't look at a mirror in a dark room.

• Like 3

Mine is Owls ever since I was small always in my dreams they r. Another thing is middle lanes don't like them cuz it feels like if i have to hurry and get the f out i cant. Being alone at night and seeing something in the sky that I can not explain....like i have seen a couple of times...once with a friend.

Edited by joeyluislopez

Sounds outside my home in the middle of the night. Especially outside my window. Remnants from a past experience.

• Like 1

and it is always the past experiences isnt it that bring forth those fears....that in my case I know for sure

Cockroaches. Hate the b*******.

Cockroaches. Hate the b*******.

The ones we have in se Texas you can actually hear the big ones walking across our faux wood floors. Seriously. I was watching TV late one night and kept hearing clickclickclick......clickclickclick..... I'd turn down the TV and listen. Nothing. Go back to watching TV and clickclickclick.....clickclickclick..... both dogs asleep, not them. I finally figured which room it was coming from and found the culprit. I happen to like insects a lot, but I am still not a fan of a big cockroach running around my house, so out he went. Another night I kept hearing papers rustling. One was upside down on it's back under the papers wiggling it's legs. They die quick in the Air Conditioning.

And they are very big and fly.

Fortunately they prefer to be outside, they are not like the usual ones that infest your kitchen.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 4

that sounds like a june bug. there were some big bugs there, but I don't remember the roaches being that big when i was in texas ( san antonio) in 78 through 82. i must have been lucky cause i don't like roaches.