Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

French Village Offers Refuge from Apocalypse

questionmark

Steve Przybilla

Only residents of Bugarach, a tiny French village at the foot of the Pyrenees, are supposed to survive the end of the world when the Mayan calendar ends on December 21. According to New Agers, the local mountain has magical powers as a gate between different worlds. With the supposed apocalypse just months away, the mayor of Bugarach fears that his town will be overrun with visitors.

Anyone who wants to see the birthplace of a new civilization has to travel to what seems like the end of the world. At the foot of the French Pyrenees, among twiggy bushes and dusty rocks, lies Bugarach. Just getting there alone is torture. A traveller must endure narrow, winding roads, offering little protection from the ravines below. All of a sudden, 20 kilometers (12.4 miles) from the destination, the pop song "Blow My Whistle" disappears from the radio and is replaced by a quiz show for housewives. The station is called "Nostalgia."

There are many reasons why the village, population 200, is a popular travel destination these days. Some come to go hiking, others to relax. And some come for a reason that lies completely beyond the earthly sphere. This year on December 21 the ancient Mayan calendar ends, and so end-of-the-world hysterics are once again obsessed with the idea of making it to the other side of the apocalypse.

Read more

Edited by questionmark

I'd rather go through the end of the world than France. lol

• Like 3

HA! I'd rather spend my last days locked in a room with the Osmond family than spend it in an over crowded French village full of conspiracy theorists!

• Like 3

...uhm well besides the last disturbing comment above...I won't be going anywhere near Bugarach

Locked in a room with the Osmond family? What a horrible thought!

• Like 1

This made me think...

"I don't want to tell anyone how to live, but when hundreds of people storm our village, we won't be able to guarantee public safety anymore."

Just imagined hundreds of poeple getting crushed to death in the village was considered to be the safest place to be during the apocolypse that didn't happen...

• Like 1

It is called insurance...

Edit: The Fronch understand insurance I hope...

Edited by Timonthy

I think I'll take my chances here and my money will be safer.

Offering refuge for your dollars, more like.

lmao El, those cats in your avatar have me in stitches :lol:

Wouldn´t be ironic if some storm or avalange or flood hits precisely that village on December 21st. I´d be laughing my behind off thinking about those nutters.

• Like 1

I like I will just stay in the USA sipping a good bottle of single malt

• Like 1

You just have to respect that Mayor :yes: If he is feeding the flames of Conspiracy Nutjobs to bring in some cash for the village (whilst laughing his backside off) then who can blame him :clap: , blame the nutjobs with their Mountain stuffed full of UFO's :w00t:

HA! I'd rather spend my last days locked in a room with the Osmond family than spend it in an over crowded French village full of conspiracy theorists!

Think I just threw up in my mouth,

I like I will just stay in the USA sipping a good bottle of single malt

I'll drink to that and probably drink one with you.

• 4 weeks later...

I would go but my boss wont let me off work that day.

For some reason he doesnt believe in the whole Mayan Calendar stuff.

Looks like i'm destined to just die at my desk. bummer

• Like 1