Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US military leaders on childhood obesity

regeneratia

Low peer relationships don't seem to be a factor. When there are more people in children's classes wanting to be professional atheletes than scientists, there is a seriously problem. In fact, it is my understanding that the USA is the ONLY country in the world where schools have high school sports. Why do you suppose that is?

My question is why you believe that?

http://www.ukelite.com/high_school.jsp

yet despite of USA is the ONLY country in the world where schools have high school sports. (lol, sure), we have 23% of overweight and obese kids, whose parents think, (and teach them ), that this is all good, and safe.

no other country in the world has such problem. and it is only getting worst here. i have seen too many 30year old ppl with 150\100 bp daily, stents in arteries, liver and kedney problems, and having to take serious medication for the rest of their life. (which gives them even more problems down the line.

yea, that is sure safe way of life.

Edited by aztek

yet despite of USA is the ONLY country in the world where schools have high school sports. (lol, sure), we have 23% of overweight and obese kids, whose parents think, (and teach them ), that this is all good, and safe.

no other country in the world has such problem. and it is only getting worst here. i have seen too many 30year old ppl with 150\100 bp daily, stents in arteries, liver and kedney problems, and having to take serious medication for the rest of their life. (which gives them even more problems down the line.

yea, that is sure safe way of life.

Yeah, the study I quoted was for British children, I can't even imagine how bad things are in the states, probably 35-40%

Diabetes can be thwarted with chromium.

More people die from low cholesterol than with high cholesterol. And many people's livers and muscles are completely ruined because they took statins. And statins actually GIVE one Diabetes. So do chemo drugs.

Low peer relationships don't seem to be a factor. When there are more people in children's classes wanting to be professional atheletes than scientists, there is a seriously problem. In fact, it is my understanding that the USA is the ONLY country in the world where schools have high school sports. Why do you suppose that is?

Just to let you know:

The USA is also the only country in the world to nuke another country. Our military cannot take the high grounds on anything, as far as I am concerned. They obviously do not care about life. Why on earth would they care about kids being fat? I call it PATHOLOGICAL ALTRUISM: which means the military is altruistic only for their own gains.

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/0199738572

1) Even if it's true diabetes is better than cancer. I'll take the chemo thank you

2) There are also a lot of children that want to be cowboys. Then reality hits in their later years and they pick another profession. Some kids still focus on the dream of getting into sports but I believe those would be in the minority.

3) Given that my school had soccer and basketball teams and the richer schools had football teams, I'm going to say no the US isn't the only country with school sports.

4) The US dropped nukes because they were the first to build them. If another country had built nukes first they would have been the ones to use them.

5) Yep the military cares nothing about life. That's why there's no medical core and Afghanistan and Iraq are nuclear wastelands right?

• Like 1

I took lots and lots of science classes.

I find this very, very hard to believe with some of the things you have posted.

• Like 1

In fact, it is my understanding that the USA is the ONLY country in the world where schools have high school sports. Why do you suppose that is?

Maybe you should check your facts before coming and spouting bs like this. You wonder why people don't believe you?

The military thinking and acting as if I do not have a say in my child's rearing and education is atrocious.

Everyone in the country has a say in how their government's institutions function, and everyone has a right to voice their opinion on what they believe to be problems in the society they live in. That includes those in the military. If you mean to tell me that they have no right to speak on this issue, then I'd kindly ask you to **** as well, because it seems that on this message board, no one is interested in what you have to say.

• Like 1

I find this very, very hard to believe with some of the things you have posted.

i do believe, she took them alright, but most likely those were science of reality denial classes. my guess she passed them with flying colors.

• Like 1

Just to toss in an opinion on the first couple of posts I read.

When I went to public schools (Sept.,1971 to June, 1983). There were no vending machines until Jr. High and High school and the drink machines had juices (grape, apple, orange and grapefruit) and the other vending machines had trail mix, granola bars, peanut butter and crackers or cheese and crackers. There was no sodas or candy. Soda and candy were only sold at concession stands during sporting events or other extracurricular activities.

I don't think the military is far off message. As the recipients of the products of public education, perhaps they have a right to point out what their observations have concluded.

The problem is on one level...and this is just an observation...people have no self control. They don't care what garbage they shove in their mouth...especially when they are young. They have no grasp of the long term problems "junk food" can cause with all the processed additives and chemicals...the crap is literally a long term toxin.

When I was in my 20's and early 30's...I had a super metabolism...I could pretty much eat anything and never gain an ounce...I rarely ever got sick. Since I hit the 40's, I've had to be a little more conscientious about what I eat. I no longer drink sodas...I rarely eat candy though I do have a weakness for Chips Ahoy cookies. I am 6'-3 and 195 pounds in my... erm...later-middle 40's. I tell you what though...when I was in school...there was very-very few overweight kids. In most of my elementary and Jr. High classes, you could count the overwieght kids on one hand. In fact, in my graduating class of 97 students...there was only 7 that were "overweight"....and not all of them were obese.

So yeah....there is a problem. I do not know what causes overweight and obese children but I have my suspicions....and they are not founded on anything but my own personal observation and critical thinking....and maybe some common sense.

In fact, it is my understanding that the USA is the ONLY country in the world where schools have high school sports.

That's a surprise to me, we had "inter-school sport" in High School, still do. In fact, "inter-school sport" starts at year 6 (age 11/12). And this is Australia.

We don't go as mad for it as you Yanks do, it's more "just something to do on a Friday afternoon" then an obsession that'll set you up for life. Mind you, all current "sport stars" (assuming they're from a team sport) started in High School.

Just to toss in an opinion on the first couple of posts I read.

When I went to public schools (Sept.,1971 to June, 1983). There were no vending machines until Jr. High and High school and the drink machines had juices (grape, apple, orange and grapefruit) and the other vending machines had trail mix, granola bars, peanut butter and crackers or cheese and crackers. There was no sodas or candy. Soda and candy were only sold at concession stands during sporting events or other extracurricular activities.

I don't think the military is far off message. As the recipients of the products of public education, perhaps they have a right to point out what their observations have concluded.

The problem is on one level...and this is just an observation...people have no self control. They don't care what garbage they shove in their mouth...especially when they are young. They have no grasp of the long term problems "junk food" can cause with all the processed additives and chemicals...the crap is literally a long term toxin.

When I was in my 20's and early 30's...I had a super metabolism...I could pretty much eat anything and never gain an ounce...I rarely ever got sick. Since I hit the 40's, I've had to be a little more conscientious about what I eat. I no longer drink sodas...I rarely eat candy though I do have a weakness for Chips Ahoy cookies. I am 6'-3 and 195 pounds in my... erm...later-middle 40's. I tell you what though...when I was in school...there was very-very few overweight kids. In most of my elementary and Jr. High classes, you could count the overwieght kids on one hand. In fact, in my graduating class of 97 students...there was only 7 that were "overweight"....and not all of them were obese.

So yeah....there is a problem. I do not know what causes overweight and obese children but I have my suspicions....and they are not founded on anything but my own personal observation and critical thinking....and maybe some common sense.

GMOs, artificial growth hormones, HFCS, and artificial sweetners are wrecking the collective metabolism of the the anglo nations. I'm glad they're finally starting to wise up. It's definitely not too late to fix things.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tricks Foods Play

What you eat may fool your brain into packing on the pounds

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/feature/id/345277/title/Tricks_Foods_Play

"New animal experiments by Hibbeln and his colleagues have recently shown that the body uses a major constituent in most vegetable oils to make its own versions of the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana. Called endocannabinoids, these natural compounds play a role in heightening appetite. So overproducing them unnecessarily boosts hunger, similarly to how pot triggers the munchies (SN: 6/19/10, p. 16)."

That's a surprise to me, we had "inter-school sport" in High School, still do. In fact, "inter-school sport" starts at year 6 (age 11/12). And this is Australia.

We don't go as mad for it as you Yanks do, it's more "just something to do on a Friday afternoon" then an obsession that'll set you up for life. Mind you, all current "sport stars" (assuming they're from a team sport) started in High School.

Boy it is nice to know that. Will amend my thinking. Thank you.

Edited by regeneratia

Out of shape cannon fodder need not apply, eh? It's all good though, if a person is overweight simply due to laziness and bad eating, they do need to get back on track for their own health. However, if it's a medical or psychological issue that is the cause, then definitely more leniency should be given. Out of whack hormones can really screw people up, most of the time they don't even realize that's what it is. Also, the heavier you are, if you're a man, the more estrogen you produce which makes weight loss extreemely difficult over time.

But do you think that the military should weigh in on public school issues?

With the StarBase program that forced the kids to go to a military base for 5 school days, which I didn't allow my son to attend, I have been hypervigilant to the military actions regarding public schools.

The artificial concentration of calories through mechanization is killing U.S. Our bodies were not designed to eat processed foods without fiber. This leads to insulin resistance, which is by definition Type II diabetes.

The real danger is economic. Sugar poisoning alone is creating a health care crisis that is destroying U.S. from within. Sugar causes or contributes to many inflammatory diseases.

They're right to be concerned, but the solution is education, and if the U.S. military wants to help sound the alarm, more power to them. It's what I would expect them to do.

Edited by Raptor Witness