Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are we living inside a simulated reality?

TheDarkEnergy

well this forum is certainly going in some kind of loop

Is Life a Computer Simulation?

Started by stevemagegod , Mar 29 2012 03:41 PM

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=224679&hl=%20baudrillard&st=0

Hyperreality

what is real and what illusion?

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=220114&hl=%2Bbaudrillard

I've always felt, even if all this is not a simulation, it acts like a simulation anyway, so I don't really see the difference. We sometimes say the universe is "naturally occurring" as if the universe is gooey biology. It's not. The universe is made of units or bits which follow rules of behavior, and we don't know what the units are or where the rules come from, or how the units follow the rules. And all this stuff the universe is behave according to mathematical equations which act as algorithms.

We may think we are independent of this mysterious impersonal mechanism, but we are constructed of it. We are parts of the machine. What function of the machine do we provide? Probably nothing, as the machine is the primary mechanism, and what it produces are byproducts and unimportant to the mechanism. The machine continues to function with no purpose other than its own operation.

I just think "computer simulation" and "naturally occurring" basically amount to the same thing. Do we need a programmer in either or both cases? I think not. Is the existence of a "naturally occurring" universe without a cause any more difficult to comprehend than a "computer simulation" without a programmer?

If there is a programmer, what would be the difference between this and our concept of God?

• Like 1

Some people watched Capricorn One and it convinced them that the Apollo Moon Missions were faked.

Hollywood movies seem to have an influence on people.

• Like 1

Was expecting david icke links in there.

LOL.

Thanks,

Well, there you go;

:su

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. [...] - Max Planck (23 April 1858 – 4 October 1947)

Well, there you go; [media=]

[/media] :su
Who ever made that video doesn't understand basic logic, not to mention Michio is speaking of the Many Worlds interpretation, not Icke's drugged up "reality". Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 1

I'm wondering, if the universe is a simulation, is there is any way to discover this? Being inside the simulation, perhaps not.

First of all, we should realize what an universe really is. Universe is in fact a small cell in a giant body that consists of all the existing universes. I call this body "AllOrganism".

Here is the essence of the relationship of micro- and macrocosmos (like I have seen it when I was young):

spacerelationships.gif

There is an universal dimension penetrating all these universes (which in fact have a different and the same size at the same time) that I call "AllDimension" and the GreatCreator is connected to it.

In the "Land of Holy Stars" there was something between a circle and ball, the inside side of which were accepting the information about the condition of all the neighboring universes and the outside side of which was radiating an energy that was ruling all the galaxies, planets etc. in our universe in a way to be in a perfect harmony with all the other universes, with the whole AllOrganism.

This AllOrganism exists without any change for ever and ever. All the stories are repeating in it eternally and they all are 100% predestined. Everything in the AllOrganism is moving and changing all the time yet staying the same without any movement or change. It is possible to see it all with one look.

As for the simulation, probably it is possible to claim, that we and our universe are a simulation and a real non-simulated story at the same time. A bit from each of the two.

If there is a programmer, what would be the difference between this and our concept of God?

Good point, the simulated reality idea is just a creation myth that incorporates the modern sensibility. The same logical problem of how God/Programmer came to be arise, hence it is an altogether unsatisfying answer, if you want a "reasonable" explanation of 'existence'. The best that can be said for the 'sim' theory is it delays the investigative dead-end by one side-track. To anyone who is enamoured of the idea they are just a character in an elaborate computer game, the explanation for why you take comfort in that, could be because it relieves you of the burden of the consequences of your existence. In the end, however, there is nothing in this matrix stuff to follow up on that could go towards proving or disproving it.

What's the cheat code?

• Like 1

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Haha, I was thinking about posting that earlier.

Good memories of that. Back when cheat codes were hard to come by.

I guess to do the Konami Code in real life (or this virtual reality :wacko: ), it would go something like this:

Apparently this hand-shake in Metal Gear Solid 2 is meant to reference the Konami Code.

I totally agree! I've heard such a big load of stupidities because of Hollywood movies...

I wouldn't be surprised if the movie Apollo 18 spawns a new group of Conspiracy Theorists.

I've always felt, even if all this is not a simulation, it acts like a simulation anyway, so I don't really see the difference. We sometimes say the universe is "naturally occurring" as if the universe is gooey biology. It's not. The universe is made of units or bits which follow rules of behavior, and we don't know what the units are or where the rules come from, or how the units follow the rules. And all this stuff the universe is behave according to mathematical equations which act as algorithms.

We may think we are independent of this mysterious impersonal mechanism, but we are constructed of it. We are parts of the machine. What function of the machine do we provide? Probably nothing, as the machine is the primary mechanism, and what it produces are byproducts and unimportant to the mechanism. The machine continues to function with no purpose other than its own operation.

I just think "computer simulation" and "naturally occurring" basically amount to the same thing. Do we need a programmer in either or both cases? I think not. Is the existence of a "naturally occurring" universe without a cause any more difficult to comprehend than a "computer simulation" without a programmer?

Hi ya SMK, You posted ‘I'm wondering, if the universe is a simulation, is there is any way to discover this?

Well there is DR J Bolte Taylors way or we could just practice Meditation under the tutelage of a good teacher. All the best

Edited by sutemi

You have seen the matrix, you have played the Sims, does it ever occurred to your mind that reality, as we know it could be simulated? All of us could be just a computer generated piece of code which is being rendered as a part of a social experiment, or for the entertainment of someone far advanced in technology?

Our computer game characters have little bit of artificial intelligence. Could it be the case that a superhuman computer with superhuman processing power is running an incredibly detailed simulation where the artificial intelligence is so advanced that we, the simulated characters have actually gained consciousness?

I have tried to find research works on this. How do we know whether the universe we know is simulated or not? Here are some similarities between a computer program and our universe.

1. Every computer program has its limit. I.e. how fast calculations can happen. For example a 1GHz processor cannot process a bit of information faster than 1 billionth of a second. Our universe has a minimum time span too. It’s called plank time. It’s not possible for any event in our universe to occur in less than 1 plank time unit.

2. Most computer program uses some fixed valued static variables. for example if you want to calculate your yearly salary, you need to multiply your monthly salary with 12. so 12 being the fixed value variable here because we have 12 months in a year. Our universe has many such fixed valued constants. Like the speed of light, the lowest temperature of the universe-absolute zero etc.

3. A computer running a program will have two separate set of logics. The computer hardware and the microprocessors have logic of operation which is governed by principle of electronics. and there is the coded software where the logic is handmade, inside the software the logic is governed by the programming. And these two separate logics do not have any similarities with each other. Our universe behaves the same way. The large body objects in the universe follows Newtonian physics which is perfectly predictable like the software. on the other hand, in the sub atomic level, the universe follows the quantum mechanics principle which does not match with Newtonian physics at all.

4. When a computer simulation starts, before that the objects inside the simulations do not exist. Similarly before big bang, matter and time did not exist. They suddenly appeared in the universe out of nowhere after the big bang.

5. Every simulation has weird bugs. Does our universe have bugs? Not sure about that, but there are lots of unpredictable and unexplained behavior noticed in the kingdom of quantum physics. Like light can behave like both particle and wave, Quantum entanglement can leak data between objects even without physical contact of any kind; sub atomic particles can appear simultaneously in more than one location and disappear.

6. In a simulation the best way to save computer resource is not to render the areas where user is not observing at any given moment. Our universe works the same way. The famous double slit experiment shows this. One single electron flows through two slits simultaneously to create interference pattern in the photographic film. but when a detector is placed to track the electrons, magically they start to flow through only one slit at a time. as if events in the universe are changed when a observer is present.

7. In a simulation, an object cannot be smaller than 1 pixel. Because it's the smallest thing a computer will render. Our universe has a length limit too. It’s called plank length. Anything goes smaller than plank length and it won’t exist anymore.

8. A computer program is a set of logic, which is executed in the microprocessor level as a basic set of mathematical calculation. So at the tiniest level, software is mathematics. Our universe is governed by physics, which is mathematics as well. How? Look at all the formulas of physics. For example E=mc^2. Which mean Energy is equal to mass multiplied by speed of light’s square. All the entities are bounded with pure mathematics at the tiniest level of physics too. Mathematics rule the universe.

So the matrix could be more than just a movie you see!

you maybe not that far off

Do we live in the Matrix? Researchers say they have found a way to find out

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2216189/Do-live-Matrix-researchers-say-way-prove-do.html

If we're living in a simulated reality then we must be the virus. :w00t:

• Like 1

I have read and heard very interesting accounts from those who have taken DMT, a hallucinogenic substance. Apparently the molecule that comprises of it can be found in everything. The experiences documented can only be explained as otherworldly.

• 2 weeks later...

The world being a simulation is a modern concept, our forebears had their own concepts that were really the same. They talked of a dream state or an illusion i.e. Maya or illusion and that we do not experience the world itself but rather a projection of it, created by us / our mind. There is the old story of the Emperor who had a dream of being a butterfly that was so real he couldn’t decide if he was the butterfly or the Emperor. There is also the story attributed to Chuang Tzu a favourite of mine, -

“How can I tell if the love of life is not a delusion? How can I tell whether a man who fears death is not like a man who has left home and dreads returning? Lady Li was the daughter of a border guard of Ai, when the Duke of Chin first took her, she wept until her dress was soaked with tears but once she was living in the Dukes palace, sharing his bed and eating delicious food she wondered why she had ever cried. How can I tell if the dead are not amazed they ever clung to life?

Those who dream of a great feast may weep the next morning. Those who dream of weeping may enjoy the hunt the next day. While they dream they do not know they are dreaming, they may even interpret their dreams while they are dreaming. Only after they awake do they know it was a dream. By and by there will be a great awakening, and then we will know that this is all a great dream. All the while the fools think they are awake, appearing to understand things calling this man ruler and this man herdsman! How stupid! You and Confucius are both dreaming and when I say you are dreaming I am dreaming too.

These words may sound like double talk, yet after 10,000 generations, we will meet a Great Sage who can explain all of this, or it may happen anytime now!”

There have been so many teachers through out time saying the same thing, even Shakespeare with his “All the world is a stage, and all the men and women merely players; They have their exits and their entrances”. It’s not rare to find these concepts what is rare are the people who follow it up. Meditation is the key, to turn the senses inward that we project outward all day and begin to see the inner world of Peace and Light. Have a look at this 14 min film it explains he process quite well.

All the best

• 3 weeks later...

Ofcourse we are! Everything you can possibly experience is a simulation of SOME sort. No matter how you look at it. That doesnt make it more or less "real" though. How "real" things are to you is entirely up to you.