Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can you live without Texting?

Ashotep

"These days, the minute that people are alone, at a stop sign, at the checkout line in a supermarket, they panic, they reach for a phone," said MIT psychologist Sherry Turkle.

She says high-speed connections have left us more disconnected than ever.

"I studied families who are having breakfast together, and every member of the family is texting," said Turkle. "I study funerals and people around texting.

Texting: Can we pull the plug on our obsession?

Could you survive without texting? Think families are becoming disconnected with each other or others on a personal level because of it?

• Like 1

no, i would absolutely die.

disconnected? no....as far as that goes, texting my daughter in the other room is much more effective than screaming her name...

• Like 5

texting at dinner, the supermarket, at funerals, is not necessarily disconnection. Maybe you need to tell the person right next to you something you cannot say out loud.

• Like 2

no, i would absolutely die.

disconnected? no....as far as that goes, texting my daughter in the other room is much more effective than screaming her name...

LOL Mule that made my day... I thought I was the only one to do that :w00t::tsu:

• Like 2

I prefer texting to phone calls, I feel awkward talking over the phone and my voice sounds so weird. Texting I'm able to more eloquently spell out what I want to say, also, talking aloud doesn't have a backspace.

• Like 6

Indeed I can.

I do not use mobile phones, and have been called various, unkind things because of it.

Face to face conversation is where it's at. :tu:

• Like 7

I have never sent a text in my life.

• Like 4

Could you survive without texting? Think families are becoming disconnected with each other or others on a personal level because of it?

This can be solved if family members text each other :whistle:

• Like 1

I have never sent a text in my life.

Me neither! And I aims to keep it that way!

• Like 2

Could you survive without texting?

Yes, no problem at all for me. I don't text anyway.

• Like 3

Never texted, don't really know how, don't much care to.

Most of the people I know who text are grandparents that keep up with what's going on with their kids and grandkids through texting. Personally, I think it is rude when you are visiting someone, they are visiting you or you're out on the town and they have to stop and return a text. Usually it's nothing that couldn't be answered later and it isn't as interesting to everyone else in the room when they tell you about it.

It's kind of like the old fashioned pictures or movies that people used to pull out and show to everyone. Except for a few most of them are pretty boring. :P

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 2

I'm not a big texting fan. Sometimes I get annoyed by back-and-forth texting. I get impatient and just call the person in question.

I prefer phone calls,voice mail, and email. But some people just prefer texting and I'm forced to communicate with them this way.

• Like 5

I'm not a big texting fan. Sometimes I get annoyed by back-and-forth texting. I get impatient and just call the person in question.

I prefer phone calls,voice mail, and email. But some people just prefer texting and I'm forced to communicate with them this way.

That would be me. My husband thinks I'm sort of rude on the phone because I don't chit chat...whereas he will ask how ya doing and all that sort of thing. If I call someone I have a specific purpose in mind and will cut to the chase. If they want to talk about something, that's fine, to a point, depending on who it is, but otherwise we can talk about it in person at another time. Everyone is used to it from me and a lot of them appreciate I don't take away time from something they need to be doing. I don't have to worry about someone not answering the phone because I will keep them tied up for and hour.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 4

I don't text at all never have. I use to have a cell phone but gave it up because there is so many places here you can't get a signal including my house. I do email a couple of people several times a week but emails don't bother you when your shopping.

• Like 1

I haven't sent a text message on my cell-phone in more than a month. So, yes; I can live without text messaging. My phone is never on, either. Texting is so... empty, and by that I mean there is almost no emotion involved. If I have something to say to somebody, I usually call them. I am not going to ask a person a question, or make a comment, and wait a damn hour for a one-worded response.

Edited by Alienated Being

I don't text. My phone is always carried with the battery out of it.

Yes but it would be annoying. I like meeting people face to face rather then phone calls but if I can't get to them for some reason I'd rather text. (ok now that I actually wrote it out and looked at it that's weird).

I also like it because I can do it from a computer.

I prefer life without texting.

I have had no phone for a while now. I have had the occasional 'turn up on my own' moment but apart from that, contrary to all scientific evidence it is possible to live in the modern world without a mobile phone and the ability to text...

However the peer pressure to get a mobile phone is immense, I don't know how much longer I can hold out...

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 2

If you carry your cell phone with the battery out of it, then whats the use of owning one?

• Like 1