Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Asteroid Dust Could Fight Climate Change

Render

To combat global warming, scientists in Scotland now suggest an out-of-this-world solution — a giant dust cloud in space, blasted off an asteroid, which would act like a sunshade for Earth.

The world is warming and the climate is changing. Although many want to prevent these shifts by reducing emissions of greenhouse gases that trap heat from the sun, some controversially suggest deliberating manipulating the planet's climate with large-scale engineering projects, commonly called geoengineering.

Instead of altering the climate by targeting either the oceans or the atmosphere, some researchers have suggested geoengineering projects that would affect the entire planet from space.

http://www.space.com/17830-asteroid-dust-geoenineering-global-warming.html

Wow, that is a large scale plan! I don't know whether to applaud its 'genius' or laugh at its 'audacity'...

Thanks for posting though Render.

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

Have you forgotten what the United Nations did during the Second Renaissance, when they tried to blot out the Sun using dark gas in order to rid the machines of the sunlight needed to generate electricity? Plants died, animals that fed on plants died, animals that fed on plant-eating animals died, and the machines turned to human bioelectricity instead, by enslaving us all. Do not repeat the same mistake!

http://matrix.wikia.com/wiki/The_Second_Renaissance

So, what happens if the cloud becomes too dense? The planet becomes a frozen, barren wasteland? Wouldn't it be better to eject "shade" particulate into the upper atmosphere? That way we could control the amount and add it slowly enough to monitor. Of course then we'd be getting into aspects of terraforming. I don't think we are quite there yet technologywise.

That said, something has to be done and soon. We can deny it all we want, but it's happening and much faster than even the most extreme estimates.

Have you forgotten what the United Nations did during the Second Renaissance, when they tried to blot out the Sun using dark gas in order to rid the machines of the sunlight needed to generate electricity? Plants died, animals that fed on plants died, animals that fed on plant-eating animals died, and the machines turned to human bioelectricity instead, by enslaving us all. Do not repeat the same mistake!

http://matrix.wikia....ond_Renaissance

Oops! Looks like you and I were writing at the same time.

I know myabe we can stop with all the greed, get rid of oil, and start using the other great inventions hiding from the pulic for so many years.

Water cars.

Free wasteless Engery

To name a couple.

• Like 1

The whole "buying time" approach won't work. Knowing people, once a temporary fix has been found, efforts for a permanent one will be put on the long run.

Harness an asteriod to hit Earth to "correct" global warming?? So does the opposite apply, where if we have global cooling then we fire a big nuke off?

Sounds like a one-step-forward, two-steps-back scenario. Isn't an asteriod impact one of the theories many believe eventually wiped out the dinosaurs? We're so close to marketable clean energy I can taste it. This seems like it'd make a better movie.

The whole "buying time" approach won't work. Knowing people, once a temporary fix has been found, efforts for a permanent one will be put on the long run.

Why assume there is a permanent fix on an ever changing planet in an ever changing universe?

Edited by Render

It all sound a little to Scifi for me. How are they goimg to be able to control a dust cloud?

They are going to do something they will not have any control over once it is started. Too much of a risk.

When are we going to stop trying to change/fix the world/universe and start adapting to what we got and fix ourselves.

Why assume there is a permanent fix on an ever changing planet in an ever changing universe?

Good point, however, my comment on human nature still stands... :)

When are we going to stop trying to change/fix the world/universe and start adapting to what we got and fix ourselves.

\

Adapting is exactly what we are doing, with technology and progress.