Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do tigers stand a chance?

your_dark_passenger

no i give them about 5 years. sad tho they are my fav animal :/

They are mine too.. I understand the importance of keeping them in zoos but I hate the fact that they are in captivity and that they aren't safe in the wild either. A friend of mine recently went to the Tiger temple in Bangkok and for some reason I felt sick looking at her photos in which she is walking a tiger on a leash.

• Like 3

My favorite animal also. I don't think they'd go totally extinct due to breeding them in capativity. I'd be pretty upset if they disappear from the wild though.

They are beautiful and magnificent animals.

• Like 4

I once saw a commercial for "save starving children, send money" and "save starving tigers, send money" back to back. My brain said....there's a solution there, and it doesnt involve sending any money...

• Like 7

To the OP's queston; Do tigers stand a chance?

Nope, not as long as there's a growing population of superstitious people in Asia, especially China, who can afford to buy tiger parts.

• Like 1

To the OP's queston; Do tigers stand a chance?

Nope, not as long as there's a growing population of superstitious people in Asia, especially China, who can afford to buy tiger parts.

It won't help Indian tigers, but I have always thought Siberian tigers could be saved from extinction by moving them to Alaska or even the coldest parts of Patagonia.

But yes, the locals might have some objections against the idea of a large predator in their neighbourhood...

• Like 2

I think if something isn't done they might not have much of a chance.

Edited by Mnemonix
  • Like 1

I hate reading things like this. It's the same with elephants for their ivory, rhinos for their horns......the list goes on. When will people leave the wild animals on our planet alone, just let them live.

• Like 2

When will people leave the wild animals on our planet alone, just let them live.

When there's no more demand or money in it. Poaching had become big business because of the demand for various animals parts that many superstistitious people believe hold magical properties. In Africa they are now using helicopters, AK-47s and rocket-propelled grenades to poach elephants.

http://animallawonli...-elephants.html

I came, I saw, I wept.

“Whenever people say, 'We mustn't be sentimental,' you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add, 'We must be realistic,' they mean they are going to make money out of it.”

Brigid Brophy

Edited by redhen
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Some experts predict Tigers will be extinct in the wild in 15 years. http://www.thedailys....php?nid=111647

Again, the problem is poaching and habitat loss. I really don't know how the problem can be resolved without a halt to exponential human population growth.

More links to mass extinction news here: http://www.mysterium.com/extinction.html

• Like 1

If Tigers go extinct in the wild I'm going to completely lose my faith in humanity. :td:

Like a lot of people in here, they are my favorite animal as well.

It won't help Indian tigers, but I have always thought Siberian tigers could be saved from extinction by moving them to Alaska or even the coldest parts of Patagonia.

But yes, the locals might have some objections against the idea of a large predator in their neighbourhood...

Not a bad idea you have there. I guess anything is worth a try if it gets too desperate. Just need to make sure the Prey is there.

I don't get it when there is areas in the world where they have huge culls of deer etc. Surely we should move some of these thriving herbivores and the tigers to certain area and see what happens.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 1

They actually make nice fireside rugs.

7280746_1_l.jpg

Does anybody know where I can buy one of these?

I love big cats. Tigers rank as one of my favorite animals too. I love alot of animals.

It will be a tragic world if our only representatives in the world of this majestic animal is only found in zoos, pictures, and video. Heartbreaking.

• Like 1

They actually make nice fireside rugs.

7280746_1_l.jpg

Does anybody know where I can buy one of these?

Are you trying to be funny? Cause it really isn't.

• Like 1

Tigers seem to have a wide popular aesthetic appeal. That's probably why they will still exist in zoos long after they're extinct in the wild. But there's also the loss of biodiversity aspect. Species are going extinct at a high rate, mostly plants and insects, which don't get the same attention as beautiful tigers do.

I'm not proposing we give up on tigers but I think it helps to get a bigger picture. The IUCN Red List is the authority on endangered and recently extinct species. If you click on the Extinct tab you'll see it goes on for pages and pages. Again, most are lower forms of life, but I just flipped through the first three pages and landed on the Desert Rat Kangaroo which was pronounced extinct in 1996.

I can't describe it, you'll have to look at the picture in the wiki page above. Anyways, it went extinct from over hunting by aboriginals and predation by the red foxes that were introduced to Australia, for fox hunting of course. There are now over 7 million red foxes in Australia. /sigh