Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The many kinds of loneliness

Still Waters

'All by myself" uttered by a four-year-old is seen as a triumphant declaration of independence. Fast forward 50 years and it's the despairing message of our ageing population and a black-edged invitation to the young to consider what apparently inevitably lies ahead, confirmed by a steady stream of surveys of social isolation.

http://www.guardian....n-to-loneliness

I don't think loneliness is the only message, nor is it inevitable. All of my retired friends are busier now than they have ever been, attending classes, joining groups, traveling, lunching with their friends, growing gardens, doing volunteer work. And while I'm still working, my community involvement is increasing, as well, and my circle of friends is growing. I think what we all have in common is a belief that life is what we make of it, and a commitment to being an asset to our communities. And curious minds, which exposes us to new ideas, new places, new experiences. Getting older is in some ways better than being younger, as we've gotten past most of our dramas, gained understanding & insight, and have the opportunity to focus our time & energy on what brings us joy, now that our kids are grown. My motto is, "Every day above ground is a good day."

• Like 2

^ ^ smiley-good-post-sign.gif

I have lived alone for the last 13yrs and I can honestly say that I have never felt lonely. I very rarely leave my home and I find there aren't enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do in my house and garden.

I love to have my 'head space' all to myself, all day every day.

I consider all living things to be company, plus the spirits of some of my loved ones who have passed away.

What I would say though, is that the menopause was HELL! Now that that is over, a whole new clarity has descended upon me ....... and calmness too. My goal before I die is serenity! At last I understand the point of old age.

Edited by ouija ouija