Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Want to do an EVP but...

kaorichann

Hello,

This is my first post to this website. I've been doing a little bit of reading up on paranormal-related stuff; I've always been interested in it, but especially more recently. In June of this year, my boyfriend was killed when his apartment caught fire in the middle of the night. Beginning the day of his funeral, I have had what I would call "spiritual experiences". I never saw or heard anything concrete the way people claim to on TV, but every now and then, I feel a presence, like something changes in the air, and there is something near me. Sometimes I feel like I have been touched or I'm being watched, and I have several dreams that are more than just dreams, if that makes sense. It usually happens when I am alone, and it is always very calming and pleasant. Anyway, I can't really put these experiences into the proper words to do them justice (maybe if you have been through something similar, you understand) but I'll get to the point.

I've been playing with the idea of doing an EVP for several days now. I'm curious if my boyfriend is actually around and if he is, I'd love to try to contact him. At the same time, if I do it and nothing happens, I might be really disappointed. And I'm not even sure how to go about it. Is it something you should have someone help you do, or can you manage on your own? Can anyone give me any advice at all? Thank you!

Sorry about your loss, my condolences go to you and his family. It could be him, wouldn't hurt to try to get a recording or take pictures to see what you get when you feel like someone is watching you.

I've never done a EVP but I did see the ghost of my cat one time. I could only see her out of the corner of my eye, peripheral vision, couldn't see her when I looked directly at where she was. Have you ever thought you saw something like that?

Welcome to the forum.

Hi Hilander, thanks for the reply! Like I said, never saw or heard anything, that's why I'm considering doing an EVP, to find out if maybe I can with a little help from technology. I think some people do actually see things, but I never have (wish I could say I have). I never considered video / photography. Do you think that's worth the effort?

My dad passed away .i did vpi asked dad u hear and i played it back and it was his voice.

I kinda freaked out and i delete it

I'm sorry for your loss.

If you continue to feel this/his presence you could try just letting a recorder roll. It's not really hard to record EVP's, but you might want some help analysing it if you're unfamiliar with enhancing audio (unless of course you get very clear answers).

Don't be discouraged if nothing happens, paranormal investigators often go back to places several times without ever getting proper evidence yet several witnesses have seen full-bodied apparitions - so just because technology doesn't pick it up doesn't mean nothing is there.

Also don't worry if he is hanging around - it doesn't mean he's "stuck" here or anything, sometimes loved ones comes back from wherever they go to check in on us.

But I should also warn you not to get obsessed with it - sometimes we miss loved ones so much that we start to see, hear or feel them around us. Some people get so caught up in this "contact" to their loved ones that they forget their "living" life and it can cause a lot of damage to a family or friendships.

From behind a screen we really can't help you much more.

It's okay to do EVP's and try and make contact with the presence you feel, just be cautious not to make it your sole purpose.

• Like 1

I'm sorry for your loss. So sorry, that I will encourage you to seek the help of a qualified therapist to help you process your grief. Please.

I'm sorry for your loss.

If you continue to feel this/his presence you could try just letting a recorder roll. It's not really hard to record EVP's, but you might want some help analysing it if you're unfamiliar with enhancing audio (unless of course you get very clear answers).

Don't be discouraged if nothing happens, paranormal investigators often go back to places several times without ever getting proper evidence yet several witnesses have seen full-bodied apparitions - so just because technology doesn't pick it up doesn't mean nothing is there.

Also don't worry if he is hanging around - it doesn't mean he's "stuck" here or anything, sometimes loved ones comes back from wherever they go to check in on us.

But I should also warn you not to get obsessed with it - sometimes we miss loved ones so much that we start to see, hear or feel them around us. Some people get so caught up in this "contact" to their loved ones that they forget their "living" life and it can cause a lot of damage to a family or friendships.

From behind a screen we really can't help you much more.

It's okay to do EVP's and try and make contact with the presence you feel, just be cautious not to make it your sole purpose.

I'm not obsessed with it, though I do spend a lot of time thinking about it because it is very wonderful when it does happen. But it doesn't happen all that often (maybe once every few weeks or so) and I guess even with that, I should consider myself lucky. I don't have much to lose though. But I'm not sure where to go to do this. There is a park that he and I used to spend time at a lot, and when I go there, I sometimes feel overwhelmed and I often leave that park feeling extremely happy, as if he had just been there. Anyway, I was wondering if this would be the best place to attempt an EVP since I have had strong experiences there many times before, or if it's a bad idea to do it outside due to all the chances for contaminating the audio.

I'm not saying you are obsessed now, but sometimes if people do get EVP's or other evidence, they will want more and more and it can spiral out of control. I just wanted you to be mindful of it :)

Where is the park located? Are there lots of noise and are you planning to go by day/night?

Outdoor locations aren't a problem there's just more things you need to be mindful of.

If it's very noisy: like lots of children playing and stuff while you're there it will be very hard to make anything out. Which is why investigators (not on tv, those tend to do it for the scares) sometimes go by night, it can be the only "calm" time of day.

A little disturbance isn't a problem (you can never completely eliminate contamination, there's hardly any places on earth which are completely silent) just "tag" your audio, so if your hear a car go by you say "a car's going by" if you mumble you say so etc. so when listening to the audio you know that it's not paranormal.

Whether you go by day or by night is up to you. At day it can be hard to find a calm area - at night you might get scared and that's not what you want. But I think that if it's where you've felt his presence the most it's worth a try.

Hello Dear,

I understand that you have seen a hard time. But now in case your bf's ghosts is haunting you, it should be stopped rather than giving it an encouragement. Your trial of communicating with him my be taken as an invitation. You need to understand god's wish.

He needs to go back and you need to continue in your physical body. I know it will be harsh to hear and hard to follow. But instead of trying to hear the guy you just need to make him hear that - "his role on this earth is over and he should now leave for the further journey. He should go out of the door of this dimension."

Try to get him peace instead of entangling him more in the worldly affairs.

Regards,

SK

Hello Dear,

I understand that you have seen a hard time. But now in case your bf's ghosts is haunting you, it should be stopped rather than giving it an encouragement. Your trial of communicating with him my be taken as an invitation. You need to understand god's wish.

He needs to go back and you need to continue in your physical body. I know it will be harsh to hear and hard to follow. But instead of trying to hear the guy you just need to make him hear that - "his role on this earth is over and he should now leave for the further journey. He should go out of the door of this dimension."

Regards,

SK

If that really is her bf, how can you be sure that he has not some sort of permit to contact her, and that the only way he can make it happen is through an EVP?

I agree she shouldn't contact the spirit if she felt there is some kind of eerie or sinister presence .. But she said it feels nice, so maybe her instinct is telling her there is nothing to worry about ..

Hello Dear,

Regards,

SK

How do you know that he didn't pass on? Just because she feels his presence doesn't necessarily mean he's "stuck" or otherwise unable to cross over. My great grandma died many years ago, yet every once in while if I'm having a hard time I smell her distinct perfume and the special feeling of calmness that always surrounded her. I believe she did pass on, but visits to let me know that things will be better and that I'm not alone. OP could have the same kind of experience, her bf might visit to help her get through the grief and just to let her know that he's okay now.

Also I believe "god's wish" differ depending on which if any religion you profess to? We don't know anything about OP's believes other than she does think EVP's might be possible. So what your god's wish is might not be applicable to her faith or believes and she doesn't "need" to understand your god. The right road for some isn't necessarily the right road for everyone :)

I'm Asatrú myself and to me death and contact with your ancestors is a natural part of life - there's is a difference between disturbing the dead and seeking advice from them or welcoming them when they visit us to support us or guide us.

Trying to record EVP's if it feels like he visits her is okay imo especially if she feels like he wants to contact her. EVP's is her way of trying to find out why he visits and if he wants to tell her something - I'm sure he'll let her know if he needs help crossing over.

In my experience most who have passed are at peace it's usually the living that worry to much :) and if they aren't they'll let us know...

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. To answer the question of religion...I am a new Christian and actually, it is these spiritual experiences that have turned me into a believer, as I was an atheist the day my BF died. But now because of what has been happening, I think there is something bigger out there than we can't really understand.

Shishir- thank you for your concern. The grief has been overwhelming and unbearable at times. I think that maybe my BF sometimes tries to comfort me. It sounds crazy, but that's why I was thinking of doing this EVP thing. I don't want to stop him from communicating with me, if that is what he is doing.

Ninhursag- I did always know that you're not supposed to try to contact angry, distressed, or hostile spirits (and certainly you shouldn't be trying to communicate with anything demonic) but the best way I can describe this is that I would be trying to contact an angel. Again, it sounds crazy, which is why I'm a little hesitant to do it, and seeking advice.

Poetofsheba- you're right, who really knows for sure what happens when you die? Maybe he desperately wants me to try to communicate? As to the park, it is on a mountain, very secluded, and I hardly see anybody up there. The noises I hear are either from the wind, the birds, or a nearby cellphone tower, which has an electrical generator that clicks on and off. The park closes at 9:30 so I could go after dark. But I'm not even sure how to go about it. What equipment do you need? Are there certain questions you're supposed to ask? Thanks! :)

If there's hardly anyone at the park I see no need to go at night - spirits are no more active at night than during the day (despite what tv shows tells us). Just remember to tag the audio, with birds and clicks etc.

All you really need is some kind of recording device - most people just use a normal cheap dictaphone. Most new types can be hooked up to your computer and then you can listen to the audio as it is. If you need/want to enhance the audio there's many free programs that can do it like fx "Audacity" (we used this when we started out, there's probably others but I'm familiar with this one.) I can explain more about enhancing later - but you don't really need it right now.

Just talk to him like you normally would. Ask him if his at peace if you worry about it. Tell him how you've felt since he died and that you miss him.

Even if you don't get a response talking to him and telling him about what you've gone through now that he's passed can bring some closure - to know that he knows. Maybe he's here to tell you something or maybe he's here so that you can have the chance to tell him the things you need to, who knows?

But I do believe that our loved ones only visit to help and support us so whatever the reason be grateful for his visits - as time pass he might not visit as often or at all but he'll still be there, but he'll no longer have to reassure you of his presence. At least this is the experience I've had concerning my ancestors.

I hope you will find some closure in talking to him.

How do you know that he didn't pass on? Just because she feels his presence doesn't necessarily mean he's "stuck" or otherwise unable to cross over. My great grandma died many years ago, yet every once in while if I'm having a hard time I smell her distinct perfume and the special feeling of calmness that always surrounded her. I believe she did pass on, but visits to let me know that things will be better and that I'm not alone. OP could have the same kind of experience, her bf might visit to help her get through the grief and just to let her know that he's okay now.

Also I believe "god's wish" differ depending on which if any religion you profess to? We don't know anything about OP's believes other than she does think EVP's might be possible. So what your god's wish is might not be applicable to her faith or believes and she doesn't "need" to understand your god. The right road for some isn't necessarily the right road for everyone :)

I'm Asatrú myself and to me death and contact with your ancestors is a natural part of life - there's is a difference between disturbing the dead and seeking advice from them or welcoming them when they visit us to support us or guide us.

Trying to record EVP's if it feels like he visits her is okay imo especially if she feels like he wants to contact her. EVP's is her way of trying to find out why he visits and if he wants to tell her something - I'm sure he'll let her know if he needs help crossing over.

In my experience most who have passed are at peace it's usually the living that worry to much :) and if they aren't they'll let us know...

Why does all your lines start with "I belive" :) . The matter is what is should actually happen. And dear God is one, you need to read heart and mind connection theory. Religion is just a way of life.

And yes if any spirit is trying to contact her then it is not she who should be conatcting it. she should take help of some physic or paranormal experts. You never know when the energies turn hostile.

And yes take life easy. Its just 'it' :)

If that really is her bf, how can you be sure that he has not some sort of permit to contact her, and that the only way he can make it happen is through an EVP?

I agree she shouldn't contact the spirit if she felt there is some kind of eerie or sinister presence .. But she said it feels nice, so maybe her instinct is telling her there is nothing to worry about ..

Well, if you get a wound that you can see you do not operate it yourself. You go to a Doc. That is all she needs to do, get it touch with some experts who can physically be present and help her out.

Edited by shishir

Well, if you get a would that you can see you do not operate it yourself. You go to a Doc. That is all she needs to do, get it touch with some experts who can physically be present and help her out.

That is all she needs to do, get it touch with some experts who can physically be present and help her out.

Alright, enough is enough.

Please see a therapist to help you deal with your loss. That's the only "expert" who should be physically present to help you out with anything like this.

I know this is not a popular statement on this forum, where we are all supposed to accept whatever others choose to post, but I cannot stand by in good conscience while a person in crisis is encouraged to do anything other than to see a licensed professional with experience in grief counseling.

• Like 2

Why does all your lines start with "I belive" :) . The matter is what is should actually happen. And dear God is one, you need to read heart and mind connection theory. Religion is just a way of life.

And yes if any spirit is trying to contact her then it is not she who should be conatcting it. she should take help of some physic or paranormal experts. You never know when the energies turn hostile.

And yes take life easy. Its just 'it' :)

I don't think my boyfriend, who was planning on proposing to me by the end of the year (I found this out through his family after he died) could be a hostile spirit. And I am the sole survivor of the fire that killed him. Who knows, maybe there is something he wants me to know? There is a reason I am alive and he is not. I think life after death is very complicated and while we can never fully understand it, we should try very hard to.

Alright, enough is enough.

Please see a therapist to help you deal with your loss. That's the only "expert" who should be physically present to help you out with anything like this.

I know this is not a popular statement on this forum, where we are all supposed to accept whatever others choose to post, but I cannot stand by in good conscience while a person in crisis is encouraged to do anything other than to see a licensed professional with experience in grief counseling.

I am getting professional help as well as attending a weekly grief support group. This is something else that I feel the need to do because of my strong spiritual experiences since the day of his funeral. Thank you for your advice, as I have been taking it.

At this point I'm only looking for advice from people who can tell me how to go about doing an EVP or other forms of contact, and not advice on counseling as I have been receiving therapy for several months. Thanks! :)

Edited by kaorichann

It is not uncommon for those who pass unexpectedly to take their time crossing over. It took my friends husband months. The recorder is a great idea. Sometimes they just need to know you are ok. I do not suggest the calling of the dead to anyone, so please do not try this. Talk to him when you feel his presence, it is good for you both. He will pass when he is ready.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think my boyfriend, who was planning on proposing to me by the end of the year (I found this out through his family after he died) could be a hostile spirit. And I am the sole survivor of the fire that killed him. Who knows, maybe there is something he wants me to know? There is a reason I am alive and he is not. I think life after death is very complicated and while we can never fully understand it, we should try very hard to.

I think what shishir may be trying to say is that there are entities out there who are malicious and not above posing as your BF in order to manipulate and harm you. Not every entity (ghost, spirit, etc) is benign. The last thing you want and need is a malignant entity focusing it's attention on you.

As a side note. Be very very careful of the methods you use to contact the entity. You could unwittingly open the portal and let things into your life you will deeply retret later. NEVER use a ouigii board without someone there who knows the proper way to open & close the portal. Playing with spirits, ghosts, demons, ect. is NO JOKE. Unfortunately most people don't realize that until S*** gets real.

Go out and buy yourself a right hand ring. I would just because I didn't get to have the engagement ring.

Oh, a BIG one.

edited to add the last sentence.

Edited by coldethyl

As a side note. Be very very careful of the methods you use to contact the entity. You could unwittingly open the portal and let things into your life you will deeply retret later. NEVER use a ouigii board without someone there who knows the proper way to open & close the portal. Playing with spirits, ghosts, demons, ect. is NO JOKE. Unfortunately most people don't realize that until S*** gets real.

I just wanted to point out that you're just as likely to open something by doing EVP's - just like the recorder is just pieces of electronics, the ouija board is nothing but a piece of wood with letters on it. It's the spoken word or thoughts that's the real "magic", when you invite spirits in and ask them to communicate the medium (board, recorder etc.) doesn't matter.

It was originally developed as a toy used to communicate with your sub-consciousness and no one ran in to malevolent spirits back then. At some point people (spiritualists) started using it as a tool for communicating with spirits along with cards, pendulums, automatic writing etc. today people mainly use recorders but it's exactly the same thing - it's just a tool, it's not a magic board or something.

Another example could be a hunter: ex. he has a pistol, a riffle and a bow. These are all tools that allows him to hunt, none of them er dangerous if they are on their own (laying on the ground untouched), used wrongly they could be dangerous, but used correctly they are all good tools for the task.

It's the act of inviting spirits in that could (in a tiny amount of cases) bring something bad with it - and OP hasn't talked about using a board, neither is she inviting anything in. She's merely asking how to do EVP's to communicate with the spirit that's already there.

I just wanted to point out that you're just as likely to open something by doing EVP's - just like the recorder is just pieces of electronics, the ouija board is nothing but a piece of wood with letters on it. It's the spoken word or thoughts that's the real "magic", when you invite spirits in and ask them to communicate the medium (board, recorder etc.) doesn't matter.

It was originally developed as a toy used to communicate with your sub-consciousness and no one ran in to malevolent spirits back then. At some point people (spiritualists) started using it as a tool for communicating with spirits along with cards, pendulums, automatic writing etc. today people mainly use recorders but it's exactly the same thing - it's just a tool, it's not a magic board or something.

Another example could be a hunter: ex. he has a pistol, a riffle and a bow. These are all tools that allows him to hunt, none of them er dangerous if they are on their own (laying on the ground untouched), used wrongly they could be dangerous, but used correctly they are all good tools for the task.

It's the act of inviting spirits in that could (in a tiny amount of cases) bring something bad with it - and OP hasn't talked about using a board, neither is she inviting anything in. She's merely asking how to do EVP's to communicate with the spirit that's already there.

Hunting in a worldly/material sense isn't a good analogy. We're not talking about the physical realm, we're talking about the realm beyond our 5 traditional senses. We're not dealing with the traditional laws of science, matter, ect. Infact as you suggest, the tools mean little to nothing. It's the person and their ability to communication with skill & authority. So a better analogy may be of an operah singer. They may wear costumes & makeup to get into character but it's their voice and practice of their skill that commands the emotions of the listener and communicates with the audience.

That being said, I agree that any type of active interaction has the possibility of opening a portal. But as you said, it's the spoken 'word' or 'thoughts' or may I even suggest the intent/energy you expend? I am of the opinion that entities feed off of certain types of energy. If you make a 'big to do' out of interacting... would that not be energy the entity could feed off of?

I'm not suggesting someone with a voice recorder can't get the same results as someone who does an elaborate summoning spell. What I am suggesting is that the average 'newbie' hasn't the practice and skill to get into the frame of mind to be as receptive and open as well as exert the energy & intent that someone with experience would be able to do. It's not the actions themselves, it's the degree of preparation an individual may need. That being said, there are always exceptions to the rule and someone may be more sensitive to spirits than others so any 'newbie' dealing with entities should tread with caution. It's a myth that entities cannot tangibly attack you.