Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does the name Jesus make you mad? Why ?

SpiritWriter

Does the word Jesus make me mad? Absolutely not. Think about it, if Jesus was still around even now, he'd be doling out money changer beatings to those people who are doing 'not so great things' in His name. JC didn't play around when it came to things like that, and I think everything would be different, including a lot of people's opinions. So many people have been burned by misguided followers, it's really a shame.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3
  • Like 4

My religious teachers taught the Bible and about Jesus as if there were incontrovertable evidence to support what they said. When I started looking into it for myself, I found there was almost no evidence at all to support anything they told me - they had just parotted stories they had heard without making any effort to verify them. While not exactly a lie, this was a lot less than the truth. And it was a major disappointment at the time.

I submit that anger at any of these names is misplaced. It is not the legend that is at fault, but the abusive way in which "believers" try to inflict their unsupported and unwanted opinions on the rest of the world.

The historical evidence supporting even the existence of Jesus is miniscule at best. It consists of two statements by Papias, Bishop of Hieronymous. In one he says he "has the words of John ringing in my ears." In the other he relates a story he says was told to him by "the daughters of Philip." By "John" Papias probably meant John the Apostle; though, there are several Johns he might have been talking about. Papias calls him a "presbyter." I note that he never called anyone else a "presbyter" and he never referred to anyone else as an apostle, so he probably meant John the Apostle. Papias was an "ear-witness" to the existence of John. As far as I know, that is the only report by a person claiming to be a witness to the existence of Jesus or any of the apostles.

Papias did not claim to have met Philip, only his daughters (The Bible says there were four.). Thus, he was not a witness to the existence of Philip.

Not even Paul, who lived in Jerusalem at the time of Jesus' execution, ever claimed to have seen him or heard of the execution. Everything Paul claimed to "lnow" about Jesus came to him in a "vision" - a hallucenation.

That's as close to direct evidence of Jesus as there is. Where there was an apostle, presumably there was a teacher. Thus, the existence of the teacher is a reasonable assumption. But NOBODY anywhere gives an eye-witness account of Jesus. Nobody says "I had breakfast with Jesus yesterday." or "I saw them nail him to the cross." Not even the Gospels claim to be eye-witness accounts.

There is also a statement by Irenaeus that Polycarp was a student of John. Polycarp, himself, never said any such thing, but Irenaeus was a very careful scholar and if his sources were right, he was right. But that, too, is hearsay evidence.

What can a historian really say about Jesus? "Such a person MIGHT have existed."

The concept does not appear in the Bible. It was a later invention.

A probable misquote by Justin the Martyr of a verse in John. The verse says that to enter the kingdom of heaven, one must be born of water - in other words, baptized. Justin rendered it "born again," thus kicking off the whole born again thing.

Doug

thank you for your contribution :)

Hmmm. I use the word when I'm angry or irritated... usually followed by the word "wept". Does that count?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Let's just face it. The name Jesus is a synonym for the challenge to face PERSONAL ISSUES... This is why eveyone who is upset at the name is really upset. They are afraid of what the name inplies and the ramifications behind that name, Fear is masked as anger. At the root of it is personal issues contrary to Jesus, and all the excuses people offer are just facades:

Facade: No proof he existed.

Facade: He must be something other than people think he is:

Facade: I was mentally ill and Jesus made it worse.

Facade: No science.

Facade: I'm not going to be controlled.

Facade: People have their minds made up.

Facade: I will not be imposed upon.

Facade: We should not claim Jesus as certain, but be open minded to everything else.

Behind all these facades for irritation, are masked personal issues and fear of the ramifications of Jesus concerning addressing those personal issues.

• Like 2

Let's just face it. The name Jesus is a synonym for the challenge to face PERSONAL ISSUES... This is why eveyone who is upset at the name is really upset. They are afraid of what the name inplies and the ramifications behind that name, Fear is masked as anger. At the root of it is personal issues contrary to Jesus, and all the excuses people offer are just facades:

Facade: No proof he existed.

Facade: He must be something other than people think he is:

Facade: I was mentally ill and Jesus made it worse.

Facade: No science.

Facade: I'm not going to be controlled.

Facade: People have their minds made up.

Facade: I will not be imposed upon.

Facade: We should not claim Jesus as certain, but be open minded to everything else.

Behind all these facades for irritation, are masked personal issues and fear of the ramifications of Jesus concerning addressing those personal issues.

Facade: You knowing what you're talking about!

• Like 1

I don't get angry over religious terms however if you want to talk about mathematical terms, I become irate, in particular, number progressions and anything having to do with Intermediate Algebra. I was a hoot in Cal 1... :)

• Like 1

Jesus - Kind, loving, never nagged, judged,condemned, slammed other peoples beliefs, .never smug, .He accepted people for who they were .. Result - Poor guy takes a trashing of his life, and suffers a cruel death

Many of his followers - Nagged, judged, slammed, preached non stop, condemned .very smug, Not accepting of others beliefs.. ( If you aren't like them, you've had it ) Judged some more, - Result - Stand proud and say they will be rewarded in heaven ..!!!

Unlike many of his followers ... Jesus got the rough end of the stick ..!!

Point here is - I doubt it is the name Jesus that ticks people off..

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 5

Hmmm. I use the word when I'm angry or irritated... usually followed by the word "wept". Does that count?

lol, I do the same.

• Like 1

Jesus - Kind, loving, never nagged, judged,condemned, slammed other peoples beliefs, .never smug, .He accepted people for who they were .. Result - Poor guy takes a trashing of his life, and suffers a cruel death

Many of his followers - Nagged, judged, slammed, preached non stop, condemned .very smug, Not accepting of others beliefs.. ( If you aren't like them, you've had it ) Judged some more, - Result - Stand proud and say they will be rewarded in heaven ..!!!

Unlike many of his followers ... Jesus got the rough end of the stick ..!!

Point here is - I doubt it is the name Jesus that ticks people off..

Maybe the key question should be - does the name "Christian" tick you off. :w00t:

• Like 2

Scene: Josesph and Mary inside Joseph's carpenter's shop, Joseph frantically trying to hammer an unwilling nail into a plank. Then Joseph's hits his thumb with great force, and yells:

"Jesus Christ !!!"

Mary: "Hey, that would be a nice name for our little boy!"

And that, my friends, is how it all started.

• Like 3

Maybe the key question should be - does the name "Christian" tick you off. :w00t:

Now you're talking lol

Nah. Just fills me with pity.

Those words do not make me angry at all. What I find disagreable is the arrogance and smug condescending smiles of those who write He instead of he etc. Also the assumption that because that religion has been in existance for 2 000 years then it must be the "truth" and that any alternate view is heresy, satanism, childishness etc. I know the vast majority of those who describe themselves as Christian are perfectly reasonable, normal people. I think that as alternate views are no longer punished by death, and Christianity wanes, then we are left with a rump of fundamentalists who misrepresent the majority. It is those fundies that use those words in a such an arrogant manner that causes irritation. And also their use of quasi Bolshevik tactics to disrupt dialogue about such matters. And the endless bible readings from some posters :wacko:

• Like 2

It doesn't make me any more angry than any other name I've ever heard. What I do despise are the "sing-along" segments at the beginning of a church service that say Jesus 900 plus times as if he didn't hear it the first time. I have serious doubts that God cares what his name is, nor does he care that others know it. Ultimately it makes no difference what you know, but how you apply your knowledge; and the limit to one's application reflects one's passion for the subject. In any case, I can't envision a God sooo egocentric that he'd have to be reminded of what his name is, nor would he place value in whether or not we knew it; rather, he would invest his time observing and calculating with great detail how we in turn invest ourselves in each other. At the end of the day he would evaluate our performance not on how well we sang in church, but rather how we stopped to help someone stuck on the side of the rode change a flat tire. Furthermore, if singing over and over about how "great" God is is a means to boost one's knowledge of said greatness, then it makes me wonder exactly how many times must it be done before it's actually believed and committed to memory before moving on to more pressing matters. To reflect upon my previous statement, to have a passion for something without an educated knowledge of what it is you're passionate about is like the guy who says he knows martial arts (making him an accomplished martial artist) because he took a few classes at the Y over the summer. The fact is the man is a fool.

Edited by seishin
  • Like 1

Just to clarify, I do not subscribe to any faith based religion of any sort or any religious dogma whatsoever.

It seems that the name Jesus stirs up alot of controversy and "feelings",

what are those feelings?

why is it upsetting?

what is your biggest grief with religion

abrahamic God

Jesus - what does this name do to you on the inside.

I AM MORE THAN TROLLING

This is a real topic, although I know we will get comments of a negative nature. I think its good to explore that...

how does your body respond to these words:

Holy

Jesus

Holy Ghost

Believer

Born Again

Baptism

Baptism of the Fire

Laying of the Hands

exorcising demons

these words do not affect my body at all. they do not affect me in any way.

Scene: Josesph and Mary inside Joseph's carpenter's shop, Joseph frantically trying to hammer an unwilling nail into a plank. Then Joseph's hits his thumb with great force, and yells:

"Jesus Christ !!!"

Mary: "Hey, that would be a nice name for our little boy!"

And that, my friends, is how it all started.

• Like 2

Nah. Just fills me with pity.

Aw - You pity me? I can live with that cos I actually am christian :lol:

• Like 2

It seems that the name Jesus stirs up alot of controversy and "feelings",

what are those feelings?

why is it upsetting?

what is your biggest grief with religion

abrahamic God

Jesus - what does this name do to you on the inside.

It honestly depends on the context.... for example, this sort of thing p***es me off:

228941_273854926067640_36454573_n.jpg

But an open and honest discussion about the man, what he did and said and how we can relate to it, engages me and makes me happy.

To me, the difference is that one of these things is shallow and the other has depth.

how does your body respond to these words:

Holy

Depends on the context, does not normally bother me unless I feel someone is being obnoxious

Jesus

Same as above

Holy Ghost

Believer

Born Again

These three make me want to stop the conversation because I am not interested in the road it is going down and I don't appreciate conversations where "I'm right, you're wrong" is the bottom line. That's not a conversation, it is a sermon.

Baptism

Baptism of the Fire

I use these quite a lot to refer to totally different things than the context they're normally used in. I have no reaction to them.

Laying of the Hands

exorcising demons

UGH. Don't even get me started.

You should probably add speaking in tongues to that list as well.

• Like 2

[media=]

[/media]

:lol:@ he is 30, still living at home with his parents, working in his fathers business and his mom thinks he is gods gift, of course he's Jewish !!

• Like 2

The way one reacts to the word "Jesus" muttered around depends on the person's view of Jesus Christ, whether (s)he's religious as a Christian or not, and we're told to shout "Jesus" in the public is inappropriate like a swear word. Many people may not like religion won't want to hear anyone pray for "Jesus" in their midst and can react in a hostile way. By irony, Jesus is also a name in Latin American cultures pronounced 'Hee-soos' and I can't imagine any parent give their son's name "Jesus" except how it's pronounced in Spanish. No parent won't wanna be caught shouting "JESUS! NO!" in a supermarket.

ok.

there will come a time when others push their views on others and instead of learning from history, they just repeat the mistake. they will persecute the christians because of their own emptiness, much to the christian man's delight because it will test the christian man and in his mind he will be rewarded. this makes the persecutors even angrier and they will commit grave atrocities against the christians. atrocities like; intolerance, name calling and bullying, belittlement, demagoguery etc.

cant you just leave the christians alone? the fact that you feel the need to discuss it at all lends to the idea that you are all insecure about what you believe.

why cant you discuss why the name zoroaster makes you mad or allah. but nooooooo you have to pick on the christians.

this kind of rhetoric makes you look like hitler vs. the jews. pretty sad.

Edited by pbarosso

I am an un-baptised know absolutely nothing about religion type.

Ignorant I am true, but your list makes me feel hopeful.

Religion and faith has been hijacked from us to become a tool for war and control

along time ago but Jesus or the word ,has always just simply filled me with hope.

I am an un-baptised know absolutely nothing about religion type.

Ignorant I am true, but your list makes me feel hopeful.

Religion and faith has been hijacked from us to become a tool for war and control

along time ago but Jesus or the word ,has always just simply filled me with hope.

Here is the hope. No matter how low a person has been, Jesus is about rebuilding broken people. This is why a person humble enough to realize they are broken, has a better chance with Jesus. And Jesus is all about second chances to become something and somebody wonderful, with his mighty help!

• Like 1

Here is the hope. No matter how low a person has been, Jesus is about rebuilding broken people. This is why a person humble enough to realize they are broken, has a better chance with Jesus. And Jesus is all about second chances to become something and somebody wonderful, with his mighty help!

i like it. very nicely put. people have to realize they need help......*looks around*