Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I have an infra red camcorder - what now?

Bling

I've just got an infra red nightvision camcorder for my birthday, and I want to hopefully capture some ghostly activity. Does anyone have any suggestions of the best way I can start? I was thinking of going to local outside locations, such as old abbey's and grave yards. When I go there should I just remain quiet or 'call out' to see if anything manifests itself?

Well, the way those ghost hunting shows do it is to leave a camera static at a place for hours and hours, and even they are scraping the barrel for any kind of thing they can call activity. If there is anything to capture, you just going in and filming for a few minutes is a real shot in the dark (intended!!).

Well, the way those ghost hunting shows do it is to leave a camera static at a place for hours and hours, and even they are scraping the barrel for any kind of thing they can call activity. If there is anything to capture, you just going in and filming for a few minutes is a real shot in the dark (intended!!).

I haven't got the patience, or live in a part of the world where it's warm enough at night this time of year, to spend hours waiting for something to happen. If I'm going to get anything it's going to be a fluke surely. But I want to give it a try :)

You may want to check and see if there are local stories of repetitive haunts or "anniversary apparitions" seen at specific times. This can give you a more precise window to work with.

• Like 1

You may want to check and see if there are local stories of repetitive haunts or "anniversary apparitions" seen at specific times. This can give you a more precise window to work with.

Good idea, thanks! There's also a ghost tour where I live that operates several times a week and goes around all the castle and cathedral grounds, so that might be worth a go. I really really want to capture something!!!

I'm like an excited little kid :su

Good idea, thanks! There's also a ghost tour where I live that operates several times a week and goes around all the castle and cathedral grounds, so that might be worth a go. I really really want to capture something!!!

I'm like an excited little kid :su

From what I've heard, you can't go wrong with an abandoned RAF airbase.
  • Like 1

As have been said by some do some research first - you might stumble on locations, names etc. that will help you pick a spot to film and something specific to call out :) It's better than just walking blind.

Patience can be thought and there's no such thing as too cold in October unless you live in Alaska :P back when I worked with a group we did outdoor as well as indoor investigations year round, spending 3-5 hours in 2f of snow on a graveyard might not be the most fun, but if certain sightings occur around x-mas you don't have much choice if you really wanna look into it.

Whether or not you should call out is pretty much up to you. Intelligent hauntings might respond better or try to interact - with residuals it wont really make a difference as they are just "recordings" repeating a long gone time.

• Like 1

Go near a graveyard and start filming. thought I highly doubt you will find anything. Infrared cameras are not good enough.

maybe a microwave/gamma ray or neutrino detector are sensitive enough to detect a ghost. or even better if you get the ATLAS and CMS detector they are using in CERN. those bad boys are sensitive enough to detect even exotic subatomic particles. :geek:

I've just got an infra red nightvision camcorder for my birthday, and I want to hopefully capture some ghostly activity.

What makes you think that an infra-red camera will be suiable for that?

Humans can't see infra-red light, so any 'apparitions' reported by people must consist at least in part of visible light.

When attempting to capture what we call 'ghosts', I would recommend always using a visible light source.

We went out late last night to the ruins of an ancient abbey, to try things out. It was in the middle of nowhere and our only company was sheep - wow they have scary eyes in torchlight! We're going to review the film later, even if we didn't capture anything we had a really good time and plenty of exercise. It was a buzz and I loved it!

What makes you think that an infra-red camera will be suiable for that?

Humans can't see infra-red light, so any 'apparitions' reported by people must consist at least in part of visible light.

When attempting to capture what we call 'ghosts', I would recommend always using a visible light source.

We had strong torches too. And there's a light on the camcorder I had on.