Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Trust me, I'm a professional".... But do we?

None of the above

There was a time... Not so long ago..... When people who were classed as 'professionals' were seen as trusted pillars of the community.

People who'se word and reputation was almost beyond reproach, people you could trust, people you could turn to in times of need.......

So my question is this. Within those 'professionals' which professions do you still feel maintain some or all of that once high esteem and which do you have little or in some cases no faith in anymore?

Let me give you some examples of the types of 'professions' that I'm thinking of, but please feel free to add others that you consider suitable.

Obviously all or nearly all professional people charge for their services, so taking out any discussion of whether they are overpaid or not, who would you still consider 'trustworthy'?

(in no particualr order)

Doctors

Nurses

Solicitors/Lawyers etc

Judges

Police Officers

Accountants

Priests/nuns/Vicars

Funeral Directors/Undertakers

Military Personnel (all services)

Teachers

Scientists

Politicians

Social Workers

Bankers

Firemen/Paramedics

Edited by Atlantia

Blind trust is dangerous and should not be granted to an individual based on his/her profession. I think a good measure is to start with open-minded trust but also bearing in mind the role played by an individual's character and personality. I would be more inclined to trust judges and nuns for example, less so lawyers and police officers (the latter were not exactly pillars of integrity in my home country where I grew up). Politicians, are at the bottom of my trust list everywhere, whatever they claim should be taken with a 'shovel', not a grain, of salt!

• Like 2

Doctors - Not any more!

Nurses - Absolutely!

Solicitors/Lawyers etc - Not at all.

Judges - Yes, except Judy, she needs to calm down

Police Officers - Yesish (in my country) I know though that there will always be crooked cops about.

Accountants - Yes

Priests/nuns/Vicars - No

Funeral Directors/Undertakers - Not sure

Military Personnel (all services) - At the personal level yes, but ofcourse they know and see alot more than they're allowed to share.

Teachers - No, but mainly because of the education system.

Scientists - Yes, a scientist will gladly accept his/her work to be disproved if there is more tangible evidence against his/her original hypotheses.

Politicians - NO

Social Workers - To a degree. Depend's on their level of education in Psychological and sociological studies.

Bankers - Nope

Firemen/Paramedics - Yes

Government - Absolutely not!

• Like 1

Good answers people!

I know it's a 'generalisation' so I'm only expecting answers within that sphere.

I know there are good and bad people within every profession.

Doctors - they make mistakes as well as do good, I've experienced it so I don't trust them 100% anymore

Nurses - as above

Solicitors/Lawyers etc - I trust mine at the moment to make my long overdue divorce run smoothly - so far so good

Judges - who are they to judge? seriously, on the whole yes

Police Officers - too many stories of corruption and brutality for me to trust them 100%

Accountants - anyone who likes working with numbers is suspect to me! ;)

Priests/nuns/Vicars - too many paedophiles and hippocrites

Funeral Directors/Undertakers - I'll trust them, when the time comes I won't know anything about it

Military Personnel (all services) - yes I trust them

Teachers - most are life changing

Scientists - I like the fact they are always questioning and ever learning, I trust their findings

Politicians - never!

Social Workers - same as doctors and nurses, they make poor judgements sometimes and can ruin lives. I hope to never need one in my life.

Bankers - you kidding?!

Firemen/Paramedics - again humans make mistakes that can ruin lives, but I'd trust them to save my life...I wouldn't have much choice!

• Like 1

I don't have blind trust in anyone even the most trusted people can fail you sometimes. It's a good way to get taken advantage of by them too. I still trust just not blindly, you have to have some trust or you would never have surgery or take a pill, get on a plane, etc. I just don't assume that someone won't lie to me or take advantage of my trust or just plain screw up.

There was a time I was more trusting but I learned better.

• Like 2

There was a time... Not so long ago..... When people who were classed as 'professionals' were seen as trusted pillars of the community.

People who'se word and reputation was almost beyond reproach, people you could trust, people you could turn to in times of need.......

So my question is this. Within those 'professionals' which professions do you still feel maintain some or all of that once high esteem and which do you have little or in some cases no faith in anymore?

Let me give you some examples of the types of 'professions' that I'm thinking of, but please feel free to add others that you consider suitable.

Obviously all or nearly all professional people charge for their services, so taking out any discussion of whether they are overpaid or not, who would you still consider 'trustworthy'?

(in no particualr order)

Doctors

Nurses

Solicitors/Lawyers etc

Judges

Police Officers

Accountants

Priests/nuns/Vicars

Funeral Directors/Undertakers

Military Personnel (all services)

Teachers

Scientists

Politicians

Social Workers

Bankers

Firemen/Paramedics

no one gets automatic trust from me. trust is earned by the individual, not the title.

no one gets automatic trust from me. trust is earned by the individual, not the title.

I know it's a 'generalisation' so I'm only expecting answers within that sphere.

I know there are good and bad people within every profession.

So Generally speaking J?

Edited by Atlantia