Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Athiesm as an escape from reality?

dougeaton

Nothing you have said is true, well it is for the straw man you have created. Actually you have made yourself into a stereotype, a village atheist, or a Dawkins-head. If you convert I would imagine you would be a member of some fundie church, they think like you do, or emote.

doug

I truly believe that you aren't agnostic as you say you are......almost all of your posts are anti-atheist. You have zero credibility with me.......not that you care or anything what with me being an atheist!

• Like 4

We can go about this many different ways.... There are several "types" of athiest....one i find the most common..is the ignorant there is no god i hate the world rebellious type.. But not me ...I dont believe in god but I do in the spiritual world....I was raised hardcore roman catholic.... like sunday school every day type......to me it felt like a burdon, something wasnt clicking.... When i offically broke off my ties to the catholic church and became an atheist and accepted thats what I am..its like reality hit me and the world lifted off my shoulders....So i guess its a matter of perception. I feel those who believe in a "mighty god" are in a fantasy world of magics and wizardry. Forced to live by the realities bound by their god..... but we can go in circles on this subject since there is no offcial evidence leaning towards either way.....

Edited by MidKn13ght

My disbelief in a deity doesn't even effect my day to day life. It's just something that I don't bother with.

I'ts like 'not smoking' you still have a tiny worry that other peoples bad habits might do you harm, but it's not a big concern. You mostly just feel sorry for those directly affected as you watch the harm it does them.

Edited by Atlantia

Athiesm as an escape from reality?

Okay, let me explain.

One day, after coming back home from work, you noticed that your door is broken and your TV is missing.

Theist: "God broke my door and took my TV. I dont care what others say. I believe that god did it and I wont listen to anyone".

Agnostic: "I am not sure who took my TV, and I dont want to know either. I will better spend rest of my life with doubts regarding who took my TV"

Atheist: "I think some burglars broke into my apartment. Let me find evidence. Let's check the CCTV footage. Oh it's not a group of goons, it's only one single thief. Okay now I know who took my TV"

Now what's closer to reality?

• Like 2

I find agnostics to be wishy washy, that's okay to say, since people generalize atheists as self-centered and theists to be irrational, right?

Agnosticism is the only resonable position for most people. It's not at all "wishy washy". Faith without reason and faith in flawed methodologies is just blind.

• Like 1

I am an agnostic, and am often amazed at how atheist will accuse xians as well as theist in general of believing in an afterlife because of some kind of self centeredness. Is this true?

Well, I think its pretty obvious that the idea of the afterlife comes from an understandable fear of mortality.

I think that atheism can be just as self centered......since each atheist is his or her own god

Atheists don't believe in gods. Bad choice of words, but I know what you mean.

I often think that no afterlife is a blessing=== since I am not sure I want to face myself at death, or god, or some kind of reward or punishment.

There are pros and cons of both I'm sure. I'm also sure it can be argued that a fervent belief in the afterlife tallies directly with religious fundamentalism, especially of the murderous kind. Such are the actions of those who believe the next life to be more important than this one.

I think both atheism and theism are irrational, since neither can be proven.

Atheism is rational because there is no proof for any god, so the default mindset should be not to believe in one. To believe in something counter to the evidence is highly irrational.

• Like 1

Agnosticism is the only resonable position for most people. It's not at all "wishy washy". Faith without reason and faith in flawed methodologies is just blind.

Indecision is still a decision. Just shrugging and saying 'well, there might be a god or there might not be, I'll just sit and wait' is not reasonable at all. Agnostics are only viewed as 'reasonable' because they can sway from side to side and prop up either end of the argument without having to take a real position. I prefer conviction to this 'welp we just don't know' rhetoric.

You yourself make a stance now by saying both are flawed but never think that this agnostic view point just makes you cross eyed. Being 'undecided' isn't a stance, it's a defense against making a desicion, which everyone has to make at some time or the other, even to ourselves. Humans are a 'this' or 'that' kind of species. It's what got us to the moon and kept us from being eaten by lions on the savannah. If my views are flawed, I'll change them, but not until proven otherwise.

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 1

I am not my own god, gods don't exist - that's the whole point to atheism isn't it? Believing in stories in the bible and god is the ultimate escape from reality, and usually a crutch people use to get through life and make sense of things they don't understand. I love the fact that I live in the real world now :)

Please that old saw. The gods are not God, God for theist is not a human writ large. Also to be an atheist does affect you live, all of our beliefs do.

doug

I can quite clearly tell you that being a an atheist, it does not affect my life. It does not dictate what I do, where I go, with whom I associate, nor the decisions that I make The only place it ever even comes up is on these boards.

It is a none issue in my life. It affects nothing. Being my life, I am pretty confident of that answer.

It is, by definition, a disbelief. Does your disbelief in unicorns, fairies or goblins affect your life to any degree?

I'ts like 'not smoking' you still have a tiny worry that other peoples bad habits might do you harm, but it's not a big concern. You mostly just feel sorry for those directly affected as you watch the harm it does them.

Right. I never see why some try so hard to redefine the word. It's like they're looking for some sort of religious victory over somebody who doesn't even care about religion.

• Like 3

I am an agnostic, and am often amazed at how atheist will accuse xians as well as theist in general of believing in an afterlife because of some kind of self centeredness. Is this true?

Ask Pascal.

I think that atheism can be just as self centered......since each atheist is his or her own god, there is no higher authority, well unless it is some form of secular goverment.

Do you think that you're a God?

• Like 1

I find agnostics to be wishy washy, that's okay to say, since people generalize atheists as self-centered and theists to be irrational, right?

You might be right . . . . maybe . . . . I don't know . . . . could be . . . .

• Like 1

There was a time when I could not stand Agonosticism but now, I feel like it's a valid view point. After all, the universe is so vast and grand and we know so little why not sit on the fence nothing cowardly about it, it's just prudence really.

Ok, please point out where I am wrong in what I say rather than be condescending and resorting to name calling.

You are adding a "tone" to my post that isn't there.

Nibs

The below, what you said was just you telling me and those who believe how superior you are and strong and yes how you face reality while believers don't....in other words you believe that theist are crazy or worse. I am not a believer but I do have a an understanding of faith that you seem to be missing.....I would suggest that you tear down your straw man and start to look at things a bit more objectively. You atheist are just as much a problem as fundie believers. Even you last sentence is condescending. I don't expect you to see it, atheist after all have no soul to look into.

I don't get a mystical second chance for forgiveness by asking. I have to earn that myself from whomever I wronged.

I don't get a mystical get out of jail card for doing something wrong by asking. I'm punished right here for that.

There is no mystical magical haven for me for living a good life and doing good things. I do good things because I want the world to be better and the only reward I get is from myself.

I have no enemies nor do I fear or hate anyone or feel sorry for them because they don't share my ideas.

Edited by dougeaton

Ask Pascal.

Do you think that you're a God?

I think I have to come to my own conclusions, so yes with a small g.

doug

I can quite clearly tell you that being a an atheist, it does not affect my life. It does not dictate what I do, where I go, with whom I associate, nor the decisions that I make The only place it ever even comes up is on these boards.

It is a none issue in my life. It affects nothing. Being my life, I am pretty confident of that answer.

It is, by definition, a disbelief. Does your disbelief in unicorns, fairies or goblins affect your life to any degree?

You may be an exception, there are not many of you who carry that label.

I am not my own god, gods don't exist - that's the whole point to atheism isn't it? Believing in stories in the bible and god is the ultimate escape from reality, and usually a crutch people use to get through life and make sense of things they don't understand. I love the fact that I live in the real world now :)

Real world? How do you know that is true, that is a faith statement.

Well, I think its pretty obvious that the idea of the afterlife comes from an understandable fear of mortality.

Atheists don't believe in gods. Bad choice of words, but I know what you mean.

There are pros and cons of both I'm sure. I'm also sure it can be argued that a fervent belief in the afterlife tallies directly with religious fundamentalism, especially of the murderous kind. Such are the actions of those who believe the next life to be more important than this one.

Atheism is rational because there is no proof for any god, so the default mindset should be not to believe in one. To believe in something counter to the evidence is highly irrational.

Actually for believers there is proof and a lot of books out there that make a good case of it. Proof, no, but it shows that there are good rational reason for believing in a deity.

I think I have to come to my own conclusions, so yes with a small g.

doug

Not believing in a higher power doesn't make you a God, regardless of how you'd like to capitalize it.

I agree.

Not believing in a higher power doesn't make you a God, regardless of how you'd like to capitalize it.

sez who?

I truly believe that you aren't agnostic as you say you are......almost all of your posts are anti-atheist. You have zero credibility with me.......not that you care or anything what with me being an atheist!

Well since you are a village atheist, no I really don't, anymore that I would take anything seriously from those who belong to the Westboro Bapt. Church.

doug

Edited by dougeaton

Okay, let me explain.

One day, after coming back home from work, you noticed that your door is broken and your TV is missing.

Theist: "God broke my door and took my TV. I dont care what others say. I believe that god did it and I wont listen to anyone".

Agnostic: "I am not sure who took my TV, and I dont want to know either. I will better spend rest of my life with doubts regarding who took my TV"

Atheist: "I think some burglars broke into my apartment. Let me find evidence. Let's check the CCTV footage. Oh it's not a group of goons, it's only one single thief. Okay now I know who took my TV"

Now what's closer to reality?

This is nonsense. Believers have commons sense and would not look upon life in that kind of childish way....you need to look more closely at others. Believers would seek the last option. Also your take on agnostic's is also shallow.

Said every Agnostic never.

LOL like that.

Well since you are a village atheist, no I really don't, anymore that I would take anything seriously from those who belong to the Westboro Bapt. Church.

doug

More anti-atheist BS........why do you have so much hatred for us? Did an atheist push you down in the schoolyard as a child?

• Like 3