Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do atheists get a hard time?

Bling

Because people get stuck in their ways and refuse to accept that they are wrong. Even when there is physical and un-deniable proof. The Taliban are an example of this.

A lot of atheists are scientificly minded and work on facts, while the religious believe strongly that they should worship something that has absolutely no proof to back it up.

Edited by Finity
  • Like 1

There are alot of different topics on this forum and throughout society, in which people cast their opinion on something 'unexplained'. I've seen people imply that ghosts, UFO's astral projection and cryptids don't exist, and those who believe in them are wrong or deluded. So when an atheist says to a religious person that they are wrong or deluded, why are they vilified? Why then are they told they are going to hell, deluded, evil, enemies of the faith, so readily by some believers? It seems that some topics are ok to mock but religion is a no no. I think that's unfair. I hate seeing people have their beliefs of UFO's, cryptids and the paranormal cast aside by many and pigeonholed as ridiculous, but yet it happens - not just on this forum but throughout society.

So why is it that when atheists stick up for their beliefs and talk about them, do they often get attacked by believers? Is it ok to mock someone who believes in UFO's but not someone who believes in god? And if so, why?

I don't necessarily put all beliefs in one category. For example, I don't accept the concept of any god(s) that I've come across, yet I believe there's life somewhere else in the universe. I have no proof of that, and proof might never come, but I still believe it. Nothing wrong with letting your sense of wonder and fantasy have some fun as long as it doesn't bother anyone in the process. Very strict atheists disregard anything that can't be established to a certain degree of scientific certainty. Sounds boring. I play the fool for the sake of fun ;)

N.P.D. has everything to with being a god, it is their very personality. That would be the self styled humans.

I never even mentioned anything about you having N.P.D., but if you fancy yourself a god..

I apply the same mnemonic they use for h.p.d. to narcissists as well.

http://en.wikipedia....sorder#Mnemonic

Such people only think they are gods. (and not all narcissists think like that, while many non narcissists consider them selves god(s) ) WE were talking about real gods Not people imagining they are a god. But thanks for your explanation for the link. I appreciate now that it was not meant as a dig at me.

I am a god (partly adonis and partly pan, along with many other avatars,) :innocent: but no more or less than you are. Perhaps the only difference is that the realisation of being a part of god activates the abilities of god within.

Like an amnesiac who has forgotten many of the abilities and skills they knew, and when their memory is recovered, finds they can do many things which seem incredible before the recovery, such as speaking several languages fluently.

How do you KNOW?? Have you ever seen him, met him, maybe had coffee with him? Your dog you can touch, see and hear as can everyone else who visits your home...unless you kennel God I don't think its true for him. And I'm not saying there is or there isn't a GOD for a fact as I don't know. I chose not to have blind faith in one though.

Yes seen him. Yes met him. Yes had coffee with him. Had long discourses with him, listened to him teach and mentor me through words images etc. Ridden through flames and smoke with him on my shoulder, shared his mind, thoughts, knowledge and power. Been saved from death, physically healed, empowered, strengthened and altered by his power; which is absolutely physical and can be seen, felt, heard, described and measured. etc. I have travelled the world, and the universe, attached to god's presence and consciousness.

I can see, touch, hear, god just as i do my dog; and god can touch me, speak to me, warn me, just as my dog touches me, barks at me, and warns me. ANd of course other people around me see hear etc the same physical evidences of god. How else would i know i was not hallucinating.

I know there is a god, as a fact, although one can argue if "he" is GOD or not. God is only a name/definition after all. I am incapable of faith. I suspend belief /disbelief in all things until i can know, but i know god as well as i know my wife, and in some ways better, because god and i share a mind/consciousness, while my wife and i do not.

God is not masculine. God is not human, but god is an evolved sapient being, composed of self organised energy and matter and so is quite similar in critical ways to us, albeit very different in structure/form and nature.

• Like 2

Ps as well as having a personal interest in my own mental health, I did two years of psychology at university, in my third and fourth years there. I am an experienced (10 ) years student counsellor of adolescents and a teacher of physical and mental health as a professional educator over a couple of decades. While i thank you for your concern, I can assure you that, while i have an exceptionally healthy self esteem and self awareness /confidence, I have none of the pathological traits of a narcissist. :innocent:

And as I said before ,sews all his own sequins on :whistle:

fullywired

Yes seen him. Yes met him. Yes had coffee with him. Had long discourses with him, listened to him teach and mentor me through words images etc. Ridden through flames and smoke with him on my shoulder, shared his mind, thoughts, knowledge and power. Been saved from death, physically healed, empowered, strengthened and altered by his power; which is absolutely physical and can be seen, felt, heard, described and measured. etc. I have travelled the world, and the universe, attached to god's presence and consciousness.

I can see, touch, hear, god just as i do my dog; and god can touch me, speak to me, warn me, just as my dog touches me, barks at me, and warns me. ANd of course other people around me see hear etc the same physical evidences of god. How else would i know i was not hallucinating.

I know there is a god, as a fact, although one can argue if "he" is GOD or not. God is only a name/definition after all. I am incapable of faith. I suspend belief /disbelief in all things until i can know, but i know god as well as i know my wife, and in some ways better, because god and i share a mind/consciousness, while my wife and i do not.

God is not masculine. God is not human, but god is an evolved sapient being, composed of self organised energy and matter and so is quite similar in critical ways to us, albeit very different in structure/form and nature.

wait...are you Jesus?

...but seriously, did you have a breakthrough that allowed you to experience these things? Is it something you can share in words?

theres a polite way to show that you disagree, never see any christians say that your going to hell on this forum. i could copy and post loads of hate against christians but theres not as much hate towards atheists. pls prove me wrong and post all the anti atheist comments you can find.

Christians tend to avoid anything atheistic on the Internet. We're going to hell so they tend to avoid us. If they argue with us, they're not very persuasive. Just a few weeks ago in the "How to avoid hell" thread here, a Christian was saying he was sure Christianity was the one true religion because it's the most popular one in the world right now. Is Coke the one true soft drink?

In real life atheists or "non-spiritual" people are often pariahs. Most people feel it is a requirement that all people accept something greater than humanity and have absolute faith in something that isn't provable. If you don't you're a shell of a human being, just a blob of flesh living for no purpose. The "spiritual" people will pity you because they've "seen the light" (or something similar) and you're blind (or something similar). They'll tell you about how Jesus was a totally awesome dude like he won the Superbowl last season and will give you confused looks when you show them Bible versions that aren't totally awesome.

The least you could do is believe in aliens or Bigfoot!

• Like 1

wait...are you Jesus?

...but seriously, did you have a breakthrough that allowed you to experience these things? Is it something you can share in words?

Also if you could take pictures of God (posing next to your dog, for example) that would be the proof that God exists that many people have been looking for their entire lives.

Is it ok to mock someone who believes in UFO's but not someone who believes in god? And if so, why?

There is a chance of ET civilizations out there BIG ONE.... god ( like a force in heaven ), none what so ever...Why ? Because the so called " Holy Bible " was written by a man... a man who witnessed something like a magician or alchemist, one who could perform certain tricks, like nowdays the magicians are fascinating, but i don't understand how they work their tricks.. So i could say there are unknown forces on the work, maybe even godlike! See... the holy bible is nothing but a tale of some guy performing neat tricks for people who didn't understand them, so they made him god of some kind.

This phenomena is still here 2012 years later...and because of such long reign of holyness the religion is firmly in place ( it has began to loose support finnaly! )... Well it's a lie when i was 8 years old they took me to a religion class, it is a class that takes 8 years ( twice a week, 45minutes in session ) and at the end there is a ceremony called " birma" and then you are done with this class for good, anyways they told me there that mankind "started" from Adam and Eva... 4 real..then when i went to school they told we evolved from monkies so ...

I am atheist because i don't accept this "faith"...based on sooooo many lies ... and then you see this religious zealots who fight for their religion without thinking what it really is... Burning talking bushes....Faces in the sky...ressurection....making wine from water... making a water split itself...

So what is more believable... outwordly civilization or "god" ...

If what you say is true, then you are in communication with just another life form, though more powerful and intelligent, however not God by a long stretch. You are saying creation preceded God, so God was created by creation???? Backwards I believe.

Im going to jump in on this one. A god that has evolved, but simply evolves along with eternity is an evolved eternal god. For me like MW god must be an evolved entity, but I do not have to have a beginning. We are dealing with the constraints of our mind and experience at this point, but it would seem to me that in an eternal existance, there are going to be many emergent systems evolving then integrating. God could simply be that final level of integration. But of course this is now supreme conciousness. Being conciousness god can direct its own evolution, be a personal being to the rest of us.... Etc etc. my mind cannot hold the concept that there was a nothing. God must be an eternally evolved entity. If we stretch our minds eternally into the future the evolution by sheer probability of god seems a certainty, by that token stretching eternally into the past, that should have happened many many many... Well an eternal amount of times.

An eternal entangled hierarchy. And eternal uni/multi/mega verse producing an eternal conciousness, and that conciousness adding to the uni/multi/mega verse. On and on and on. People understandably don't like infinities, but there is no reason to apply our seamingly finite existstance to everything else.

• Like 1

There is a chance of ET civilizations out there BIG ONE.... god ( like a force in heaven ), none what so ever...Why ? Because the so called " Holy Bible " was written by a man... a man who witnessed something like a magician or alchemist, one who could perform certain tricks, like nowdays the magicians are fascinating, but i don't understand how they work their tricks.. So i could say there are unknown forces on the work, maybe even godlike! See... the holy bible is nothing but a tale of some guy performing neat tricks for people who didn't understand them, so they made him god of some kind.

This phenomena is still here 2012 years later...and because of such long reign of holyness the religion is firmly in place ( it has began to loose support finnaly! )... Well it's a lie when i was 8 years old they took me to a religion class, it is a class that takes 8 years ( twice a week, 45minutes in session ) and at the end there is a ceremony called " birma" and then you are done with this class for good, anyways they told me there that mankind "started" from Adam and Eva... 4 real..then when i went to school they told we evolved from monkies so ...

I am atheist because i don't accept this "faith"...based on sooooo many lies ... and then you see this religious zealots who fight for their religion without thinking what it really is... Burning talking bushes....Faces in the sky...ressurection....making wine from water... making a water split itself...

So what is more believable... outwordly civilization or "god" ...

But you are only considering the biblical god. God could simply be a 10 billion year old being, or a being much older from another universe that figured out how to start its own. Just as there are probably other civilizations there are probably other life forms that have been evolving for a very very very long time. One of them might be considered god.

But you are only considering the biblical god. God could simply be a 10 billion year old being, or a being much older from another universe that figured out how to start its own. Just as there are probably other civilizations there are probably other life forms that have been evolving for a very very very long time. One of them might be considered god.

Nice idea, i thought we were talking about this god, still you made a good point...I think it is possible, but not true, if i said that i might confirm some AA bs..about alien being gods and that...

Still if this God you are reffering to indeed existed why is there no sign from him now? When people really need "it / him" ?

Nice idea, i thought we were talking about this god, still you made a good point...I think it is possible, but not true, if i said that i might confirm some AA bs..about alien being gods and that...

Still if this God you are reffering to indeed existed why is there no sign from him now? When people really need "it / him" ?

I'm with you one this, but just want to point out that lack of proof is not proof of non-existence. Scientifically speaking, you can only make conclusions based on proof. No conclusions can be made without proof. Lack of proof = lack of conclusions. The issue of god is one science has to remain silent about since we can't establish proof one way or the other. Unlikely we will ever be able to make conclusions about godly things. A scientist can still have a belief though, such as the belief there is intelligent life somewhere else in the universe (as I do). There's no proof of it one way or the other, but I choose to believe it. One difference is that with ET, we can establish a statistical probability of it, and given the vastness of the universe it is very likely, but there's a difference between probability and reality. It's still a belief. Godly things is one step further since we can't even establish a probability for it, but how many things in our history have we discovered that we had no proof or probabilities of? Many.

• Like 2

I'll give you my number and since you see, talk and have coffee with God, you can have him call me that would great...in fact have him contact all of us who are asking for proof because that would end this. It almost sounds as though you are taking a Buddhist stand on God. Saying you are your own God...that there is no mystical almighty creature out there, that you yourself are your own God. Which I can jump on board with. I am responsible for any and all good and/or bad I do in my life. What I choose to do is not already decided for me but I decide for myself.

• Like 1

“The divine is God's concern; the human, man's. My concern is neither the divine nor the human, not the true, good, just, free, etc., but solely what is mine, and it is not a general one, but is -- unique, as I am unique. Nothing is more to me than myself!”

Max Stirner

I'll give you my number and since you see, talk and have coffee with God, you can have him call me that would great...in fact have him contact all of us who are asking for proof because that would end this. It almost sounds as though you are taking a Buddhist stand on God. Saying you are your own God...that there is no mystical almighty creature out there, that you yourself are your own God. Which I can jump on board with. I am responsible for any and all good and/or bad I do in my life. What I choose to do is not already decided for me but I decide for myself.

Maybe he's on Facebook....we could Poke him!

• Like 1

And as I said before ,sews all his own sequins on :whistle:

fullywired

Yup my mum and grandma taught me; sewing, darning, knitting, needle work, cross and long stitch, crotcheting and other manly arts ( a good knitting needle is a deadly weapon in trained hands and my father taught me the ninja skills to best utilise it.) I never actually wore sequins (or rhinestones) but made my self a neat indian outfit from buckskin to play hiawatha, while reciting longfellow's poem, at age 9, in a school play. Tell you what; minnehaha was a hot looking chick in her indian clobber.

55 years later i can still recite most of the poem from memory. My most memorable moment was shooting an arrow from centre stage to the wings, from a bow and arrow set I had hand made myself, and going off stage to drag back in the "deer" (which was constructed from my dear mum's fox and other furs, for the occasion.)

Edited by Mr Walker

wait...are you Jesus?

Ive been sharing it in words for 8 years or so on um. Yes i had a number of breakthroughs. The first was becoming one with the cosmic consciousness while very young and while still an atheist. I never considered it god, just an alien entity.

Later the actions of this entity to physically contact me, manifest beside me, protect me and work with me, led me to the realisation that this is the being humans call god. God is not always noticeably present with me in material physical form, but always with me in my conscious mind and in my heart so he can respond and manifest immedaitely "on demand" in critical periods. God resides in my body and so I can control both much of my mental process and also some of my physiological processes like pain.

We are all jesus in one way. The holy spirit, or power and energy of god, resides within everyone of us, and is accessible to any of us. The kingdom of heaven is a state of mind which also exists right here and ow in side my self, and potentially within every human being.

Also if you could take pictures of God (posing next to your dog, for example) that would be the proof that God exists that many people have been looking for their entire lives.

If i provided a photo of god standing next to my dog how would you know that it was god? Indeed jhow would you know that it was my dog?

I dont do referrals :innocent: Indeed I have a buddhist approach to many things, also jainist gaean and other avatars of god. God already exists within you and all around you. No need for me to ask him to call you; he is already doing this. You just have to pick up the phone at your end, and listen, then speak.

• Like 1

What would you have of it? Do you want it to explaine itself to you? Do you explaine yourself to the bacteria in your Colon?

Probabilities add up over vast stretches of time.

Edited by Seeker79

If i provided a photo of god standing next to my dog how would you know that it was god? Indeed jhow would you know that it was my dog?

Because I would take your word for it. You wouldn't lie, would you?