Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do atheists get a hard time?

Bling

Ok then - Smarter and more independent...Smart enough to use their heads without any assistance..

Oh ? There is assistance I assure you of that.

As evident from your posts, you are not the unbiased skeptic you portray yourself as..... Hint, I'm neither religous nor a saint ;)

I don't portray myself as anything, I speak my mind.

Religion is nothing more than a charade.

• Like 1

I dont do referrals :innocent: Indeed I have a buddhist approach to many things, also jainist gaean and other avatars of god. God already exists within you and all around you. No need for me to ask him to call you; he is already doing this. You just have to pick up the phone at your end, and listen, then speak.

Would he know to email me if my phone is disconnected you think? Thank you Mr. Walker but I'm not looking to have your God in my life, I was simply just asking for proof. I do however respect your choice to believe and I'm glad it is working out well for you. Thank you for spending the time to respond to me and until you can bring me some REAL proof, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree :)

Let me give you an example of how I personally have been given a hard time for being a non believer. I have been told by my sister, my grandparents and a few other members of my family and some friends how I'm being disrespectful because I don't believe in their God. Keep in mind I do not go around shoving what I believe down people's throat, I don't preach or talk about religion at all ever unless someone asks. My family, friends and even coworkers seem to talk about God and give me advice about how God can help me all the time. Even when they talk to me, I simply just listen and say "thank you" most times because I don't want to argue. My family knows I don't believe in God but they don't know what exactly I believe that's how little I talk about it and its really just to keep peace and because they have never really asked. So for just simply NOT believing what they believe, I'm told that I'm disrespectful and that I have ruined relationships that I once had with these people. I have been compared being that "gay" family member in a family that doesn't accept homosexuality, simply because I chose to believe in something other than what they do. So yes I very strongly agree that atheists get a hard time, even when they don't protest or preach. Its just because it seems to go against the "norm" and any time anyone goes against the "norm" you get a hard time and I don't think anyone who knows anything about history or even knowledge on todays society can argue that that's not true.

So to answer the original question...yes we do get a hard time.

Edited by Viviana98
  • Like 2

Let me give you an example of how I personally have been given a hard time for being a non believer. I have been told by my sister, my grandparents and a few other members of my family and some friends how I'm being disrespectful because I don't believe in their God. Keep in mind I do not go around shoving what I believe down people's throat, I don't preach or talk about religion at all ever unless someone asks. My family, friends and even coworkers seem to talk about God and give me advice about how God can help me all the time. Even when they talk to me, I simply just listen and say "thank you" most times because I don't want to argue. My family knows I don't believe in God but they don't know what exactly I believe that's how little I talk about it and its really just to keep peace and because they have never really asked. So for just simply NOT believing what they believe, I'm told that I'm disrespectful and that I have ruined relationships that I once had with these people. I have been compared being that "gay" family member in a family that doesn't accept homosexuality, simply because I chose to believe in something other than what they do. So yes I very strongly agree that atheists get a hard time, even when they don't protest or preach. Its just because it seems to go against the "norm" and any time anyone goes against the "norm" you get a hard time and I don't think anyone who knows anything about history or even knowledge on todays society can argue that that's not true.

So to answer the original question...yes we do get a hard time.

Whereabouts do you live? Here in the North of England, atheism is very much the norm. Just curious to see whether people's experiences have something to do with where they are rather than who they are. Perhaps age is a factor too.

You assure me now? go for it..with back up and not some minor opinion ..

So they don't even have an excuse? Well that is a difference, I guess. Not sure it helps your argument much...

I pick at it because it's what I've been taught to do when people try to conflate terms to match their argument. Now if, as I suspect, you want to turn this into a thread about how Christians have persecuted everyone else, that's up to you but that's an incredibly one sided way to start a thread. If, on the other hand, you want an actual debate about whether atheists get a hard time, please continue.

The big picture, as I mentioned before, is that atheists are no better or worse than anyone else. In groups, people can be incredibly stupid and a few charismatic idiots can cause a whole lot of trouble.

(Hint - considering the big picture would involve considering all those other religions you're unfamiliar with. I'd suggest you do some reading then get back to this. If you want an honest debate that is.)

Ah yes, George Bush. A prime example of the kind of idiot I just referred to. Not forgetting that this is the man who said he was in favour of parent and child bondage (presumably meant bonding) and that 'terrorists are determined to destroy this country and so are we'. Given how annoyed Americans get if you use him as a stereotype, think how Christians feel in the same scenario.

By non-believer do you mean actual non-believer (i.e. atheist) or non-believer of a specific faith? If this is to be a thread about how evil Christianity is, go ahead and enjoy the sycophantic responses. The mods might take a dim view of it as this is meant to be spirituality vs skepticism rather than everyone vs Christianity but that's up to them.

I've said before that I am referring to all religions, I merely talk about Christianity more because its the faith I'm more familiar with...but they're all the same to me.

• Like 1

You assure me now? go for it..with back up and not some minor opinion ..

Are we still talking about atheists?

If we are, then they are assisted by rhetoric, figure heads, and just as many sources as the religous. This does not make them smarter or less aided. MOST are parrots that don't really think for themselves either, and are just as susceptible to logical fallacy than any one else. I said they might be more independent, because they usually are not controlled by a specific group, but not smarter, not more informed, and not more intelligent as group than any other. Same old human frailties.

Proof? Just skim through um. Look at the NDE threads. Constant parroting and myriads of logical fallacies by the general group claiming to be more logical.

Edited by Seeker79

I don't portray myself as anything, I speak my mind.

Religion is nothing more than a charade.

Well good then, so do I. I do not care for religions myself. That dosnt mean that it's a charade. There is a great continuum of people that are religious, the majority of them are not fake.

That would b er yes.. unless you want to talk about others.. I am a good gossip lol

If we are, then they are assisted by rhetoric, figure heads, and just as many sources as the religous.

Really? Every single last one ? And you know this.............how?

You cannot seem to make up your mind.. You insist they do it all by themselves..

Haga... No they do that all by themselves... Hahaha

So atheists do it all by themselves..

But...

Now they use assistance..and to note figure heads lol

So...they do it by themselves...yet need assistance.. right ? :P

This does not make them smarter or less aided. MOST are parrots that don't really think for themselves either, and are just as susceptible to logical fallacy than any one else. I said they might be more independent, because they usually are not controlled by a specific group, but not smarter, not more informed, and not more intelligent as group than any other. Same old human frailties.

This is nothing but an opinion you hold.. You said you could assure me.. and so far. nadda ... A lot of them I am sure would be smarter to get through life without the help of a book.. you seem to think we all need a book of some sort..your opinion is narrow..

Proof? Just skim through um. Look at the NDE threads.

A few posts in a thread here and there, is not exactly going to assure me now is it? ...I was hoping you could actually do what you say and assure me...

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

If we are, then they are assisted by rhetoric, figure heads, and just as many sources as the religous. This does not make them smarter or less aided. MOST are parrots that don't really think for themselves either, and are just as susceptible to logical fallacy than any one else. I said they might be more independent, because they usually are not controlled by a specific group, but not smarter, not more informed, and not more intelligent as group than any other. Same old human frailties.

Proof? Just skim through um. Look at the NDE threads. Constant parroting and myriads of logical fallacies by the general group claiming to be more logical.

I've always thought of the religious as being the parrots, they have been repeating the same things for millenniums now, we all know what they have to say yet they keep repeating it. They are like a broken record.

There are alot of different topics on this forum and throughout society, in which people cast their opinion on something 'unexplained'. I've seen people imply that ghosts, UFO's astral projection and cryptids don't exist, and those who believe in them are wrong or deluded. So when an atheist says to a religious person that they are wrong or deluded, why are they vilified? Why then are they told they are going to hell, deluded, evil, enemies of the faith, so readily by some believers? It seems that some topics are ok to mock but religion is a no no. I think that's unfair. I hate seeing people have their beliefs of UFO's, cryptids and the paranormal cast aside by many and pigeonholed as ridiculous, but yet it happens - not just on this forum but throughout society.

So why is it that when atheists stick up for their beliefs and talk about them, do they often get attacked by believers? Is it ok to mock someone who believes in UFO's but not someone who believes in god? And if so, why?

What beliefs do you have? All I ever seem to hear from Atheists is that this doesn't exist, and that doesn't exist, but I have never really heard of any of their beliefs.

Why do you feel the need to mock someone that believes in god? You don't know the person that you are mocking so really it just seems that you are mocking god. In the case that you are mocking god, well, you just make yourself to look like an idiot.

So what are your beliefs?

At least in America the book that has probably turned more people into atheists is the Bible. Many atheists have said that once they got older they decided to read the whole thing from beginning to end for the first time and discovered that what they had been taught in Sunday school and church was just a bunch cherrypicked stories that were censored so no one would ask uncomfortable questions about their true meaning.

I don't see how any modern person could get through the first three books without being shocked by the brutality, incest, murder (rewarded and often commanded by God), slavery, masses of animal sacrafices with gory details (blood blood blood), oppression of women, and behavior which is now contemptable. This is not a book for modern times. It describes how ancient people behaved, not how people in a civilized society behave.

And here's how atheists get dumped on: just quote stuff from the Bible. You'll find religious people aren't all that familar with it. They prefer to recite short reafirming quotes that sound good to their modern ears but are often out of context and have much different meaning, often the opposite.

My favorite is good old 1 Timothy 6:10 which so many Christians believe says that the "love" of money is the root of all evil so you can be rich rich rich as long as you don't "love" all that money you have. If you bother to read 6:9 it shows why all rich people are evil: "People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction." Then you have the explanation: "For the love of money is the root of all evil."

And by "rich" you have to think rich in terms of the entire world, not by your American standards. You may be middle class here but in terms of the world population, you are in the upper 10% of wealthly people. I don't see how Jesus could possibly look at your nice house, your two cars, your 52" HDTV, and your pay check and not declare you rich. Jesus clearly said that rich people are not going to heaven so the whole concept of biblical Christianity in America seems completely ridiculous to me. I'm not alone.

So do you want to get a hard time from Christians? Just point this out to them. I once read 1 Timothy 6:9 to a Christian and he simply refused to believe what the words were telling him. The understanding he got from church is that if you don't love your money, Jesus is OK with you. I was holding the inerrant words of God right in his face and he chose to believe something else. He said he was a good Christian and I wasn't so who am I to judge him? (Deffering to a religious authority is another trait.) I asked him why he moved to Portland and he said it was because he was offered a higher paying job here. Ah, it was for more money? Ding ding ding? He still didn't get it!

You can't even discuss religion with these people. This is such a change from Hebrew school where we were encouraged to see how we don't live according to the Torah these days.

• Like 1

What beliefs do you have? All I ever seem to hear from Atheists is that this doesn't exist, and that doesn't exist, but I have never really heard of any of their beliefs.

Because atheists are allowed to believe whatever they want without fear of being oppressed by theocratical governments or supernatural beings. There is no single belief system they adhere to so their beliefs can't be defined as a group like religious sects.

You'll find most of them believe in the scientific method, social justice, equality among all people, democracy, and stuff like that but that doesn't define them as athiests.

Why do you feel the need to mock someone that believes in god?

If by "mock" you mean "show the contradictions in their belief system" it's because many athiests feel this would be a better world if people realized that religion doesn't work in educated civilized societies. It's fine for scaring uneducated people into behaving themselves but educated people don't need a cop in the sky juding them any more than they need Santa Claus. It's pretty obvious that even many Christians don't truly fear God or Jesus like the Bible says they should so we might as well give up on this system to control people's behavior.

You don't know the person that you are mocking so really it just seems that you are mocking god. In the case that you are mocking god, well, you just make yourself to look like an idiot.

I actually know these people very well. I'm not mocking God, just everything that people incorrectly believe about Him.

• Like 1

Why do you feel the need to mock someone that believes in god? You don't know the person that you are mocking so really it just seems that you are mocking god. In the case that you are mocking god, well, you just make yourself to look like an idiot.

Where did Bling mock believers?

And why would one look the idiot for mocking god? If they don't believe in him...?

• Like 1

I do not mock believers, maybe you should read my signature - I make a point of making sure believers here know I am not a hater of them, just the beliefs some hold. I understand it can sound like mocking to some believers because it's a natural instinct to be defensive and offended when someone has a negative opinion about something you hold dear. I have religious friends here and I would never mock them personally. I also rarely comment on religious peoples personal views on the Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs forum, however outlandish they may sound to me, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

If you're interested in more about me in particular then maybe you'd like to read this thread I started:

http://www.unexplain...opic=233533&hl=

I've always thought of the religious as being the parrots, they have been repeating the same things for millenniums now, we all know what they have to say yet they keep repeating it. They are like a broken record.

Agreed. No argument here... Unfortunately the new sciencism is just as bad.

That would b er yes.. unless you want to talk about others.. I am a good gossip lol

Really? Every single last one ? And you know this.............how?

You cannot seem to make up your mind.. You insist they do it all by themselves..

So atheists do it all by themselves..

But...

Now they use assistance..and to note figure heads lol

So...they do it by themselves...yet need assistance.. right ? :P

This is nothing but an opinion you hold.. You said you could assure me.. and so far. nadda ... A lot of them I am sure would be smarter to get through life without the help of a book.. you seem to think we all need a book of some sort..your opinion is narrow..

A few posts in a thread here and there, is not exactly going to assure me now is it? ...I was hoping you could actually do what you say and assure me...

BM you remind me of my wife, you confuse the hell out of me. I can't tell if we are talking about the same thing or not.

A few posts ?!?! You see that big number of posts there on the left. A good 1/3rd of those are spent arguing and exposing the illogical, dogmatic, and clouded thinking of atheists. Not that there are not a few good ones. Its quit fun watching them try to wiggle out of their own fallacious thinking. Some even commit grievous errors in logic while claiming that they are more logical than theists in the same sentence. Those are fun. An opinion, of course it is... Based on quite a bit of experience.

I don't think people need books :( im a fan of wits myself, but of course in these matters it is what influences people be it the bible or the atheists cannon. ;)

Edited by Seeker79

BM you remind me of my wife, you confuse the hell out of me. I can't tell if we are talking about the same thing or not.

A few posts ?!?! You see that big number of posts there on the left. A good 1/3rd of those are spent arguing and exposing the illogical, dogmatic, and clouded thinking of atheists. Not that there are not a few good ones. Its quit fun watching them try to wiggle out of their own fallacious thinking. Some even commit grievous errors in logic while claiming that they are more logical than theists in the same sentence. Those are fun. An opinion, of course it is... Based on quite a bit of experience.

I don't think people need books :( im a fan of wits myself, but of course in these matters it is what influences people be it the bible or the atheists cannon. ;)

Why do you think atheists are illogical, dogmatic and clouded?

Such a fun group of people! :devil:

Aren't they just. I'll bet the bloke holding the sign fits half of those categories.

• Like 1