Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Police Minister: Drones could patrol UK skies

None of the above

Police Minister Damian Green Backs Police Use Of Drones In UK Skies

Police minister Damian Green has backed the use of controversial unmanned drones to patrol the UK's skies, to monitor criminal activity and provide air support.

The Home Office minister said that remotely controlled drones in the UK's skies should be treated like "any other piece of police kit."

But civil liberties campaigners have argued the lifting of UK restrictions on drones could "eliminate the difference between public and private space" and warned such technology could be used by private companies.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10/01/minister-damian-green-police-drones-uk_n_1928084.html?ref=topbar

• Like 1

Bravo! I'm looking forward to having something in the sky I can shoot at without feeling guilty. :)

• Like 2

Bravo! I'm looking forward to having something in the sky I can shoot at without feeling guilty. :)

LOL, of course you are joking. However I imagine there WILL be some ummm 'losses' should they not be a little selective as to where they fly these latest spies in the sky.

• Like 1

Police Minister Damian Green Backs Police Use Of Drones In UK Skies

Police minister Damian Green has backed the use of controversial unmanned drones to patrol the UK's skies, to monitor criminal activity and provide air support.

The Home Office minister said that remotely controlled drones in the UK's skies should be treated like "any other piece of police kit."

But civil liberties campaigners have argued the lifting of UK restrictions on drones could "eliminate the difference between public and private space" and warned such technology could be used by private companies.

http://www.huffingto...html?ref=topbar

I've never understood why the innocent would be bothered about being monitored.

• Like 1

I wonder if they'll pull me in for questioning the next time I'm running from rooftop to rooftop.

• Like 1

All I can say is that when they become regular sights in US skies they had better fly above about 4000 ft or so. Bird hunting is an awesome sport!

• Like 1

I've never understood why the innocent would be bothered about being monitored.

Would that be as long as they aren't monitoring your financial affairs? ;)

Because it's creepy and an invasion of privacy.

Indeed,

This isn't policing, it's spying. Pure and simple.

With the Polices credibility and reputation at an all time low they should be spending any money they have on being part of the community they are supposed to serve. No amount of CCTV and spy drones will make up for a lack of public confidence because there aren't bobbies on the beat that people can get to know and trust and local police stations are closed.

Edited by Atlantia
  • Like 1

Would that be as long as they aren't monitoring your financial affairs? ;)

My money is well hidden.

No red is getting their hands on it.

My money is well hidden.

No red is getting their hands on it.

So you're in favour of the monitioring of potential 'blue collar criminals' then?

So you're in favour of the monitioring of potential 'blue collar criminals' then?

I cant believe it you're actually beating me in an argument which I cant win.

Oh well it had to happen eventually lol.

I cant believe it you're actually beating me in an argument which I cant win.

Oh well it had to happen eventually lol.

LOL, you never win and you know it ;)

The military grade drones fly so high you can't see them. I was watching a show where the people on the ground were looking at a monitor showing them close up in great detail but they could not spot the drone in the sky with thier naked eyes.

This should hardly surprise you Brits, you're already the most survieled people in the world whats a few more cameras right? :ph34r:

When a government starts treating or thinking any and all citizens are potential criminals, then there's a major problem with that government.

• Like 3

Like, pfff, you live on a different planet from me.

LOL, I'm sure we both wish that were true. ;)

• Like 1

Because it's creepy and an invasion of privacy.

Yep, many double-standards of late. Unknown tog uses long lens to photo Duchess of Cambridge and its invasion of privacy, while faceless and unknown authority types can spy on Joe Public 24x7 in the name of security.

• Like 4

So dinner tomorrow is off?

Right now I wish I could surveliance you.

Your man love comments are deeply worrying and I want to make sure you stay in your half of the country. Looks like I'm gonna have to go to B&Q to get some extra locks for my doors first thing tomorrow!!!!!

Edited by Mr Right Wing

The police constantly moaning about budget cuts and losing officers have suddenly found enough pennies to pay for this pointless idea.

I feel so safe not!! If am walking down the street and somebody decides to mug me I am sure they are gonna stop and think, crikey I better be careful there is not a 1% chance a very expensive drone will see me. I kind of doubt it, there again if there were proper patrols and visual policing I am sure we could prevent crimes before we have a victim.

• Like 2

The police constantly moaning about budget cuts and losing officers have suddenly found enough pennies to pay for this pointless idea.

Police spend £3million on tea and biscuits

Britain's police forces have spent £3 million on tea and biscuits, figures disclosed under Freedom of Information laws have shown.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/6022442/Police-spend-3million-on-tea-and-biscuits.html

Enough said.

When a government starts treating or thinking any and all citizens are potential criminals, then there's a major problem with that government.

This! It's not about the innocent worrying, because it'll be the guilty who don't worry. It's the intrusion of life. We all have private lives that no-one needs to know about. Nothing shady about that, I don't particularly feel the need to tell everyone what I had for my tea the night before, or what I bought with my wages. It's not about having something to hide, it's about the need for each individual to have their own little space. Plus the fact if I go out walking in the countryside, hill walking or whathaveyou I want to be AWAY from the information overload that modern living brings- I don't want to have spy robots whizzing above my head, no matter how high up they are, indeed the further up and less visible they are the worse it is!

I feel so safe not!! If am walking down the street and somebody decides to mug me I am sure they are gonna stop and think, crikey I better be careful there is not a 1% chance a very expensive drone will see me. I kind of doubt it, there again if there were proper patrols and visual policing I am sure we could prevent crimes before we have a victim.

And the riot vans that were purchased. You know the ones with the water cannons? There was a fleet bought not long ago.

• Like 1

Police spend £3million on tea and biscuits

Britain's police forces have spent £3 million on tea and biscuits, figures disclosed under Freedom of Information laws have shown.

http://www.telegraph...d-biscuits.html

Enough said.

Are they not entitled to tea and biscuits when on stake out?

I'd be more worried about the £122 billion on the NHS.