Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Costa Rica to ban hunting for sport

jugoso

Lawmakers voted 41 in favour of and five against the ban, and a second vote expected in the coming week is widely seen as ratifying changes to the law, which aims to protect animals in one of the world's most biodiverse countries.

Costa Rica's national parks attract some 300,000 visitors annually, and tourism is a mainstay of the economy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/03/costa-rica-ban-hunting-sport?newsfeed=true

Edited by Still Waters
Source link added
  • Like 1

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/03/uk-costarica-hunting-idUSLNE89201220121003

As to the item itself: I agree that sport hunting/fishing should be outlawed. Nobody should be allowed to kill anything he does not intend to eat or does not pose a threat to him.

• Like 2

http://www.reuters.c...E89201220121003

As to the item itself: I agree that sport hunting/fishing should be outlawed. Nobody should be allowed to kill anything he does not intend to eat or does not pose a threat to him.

That is the part that is tough to define. Obvious game hunting is easy. People shooting raccoons in their backyard is more questionable. Catch and release fishing is a gray area.

Lawmakers voted 41 in favour of and five against the ban, and a second vote expected in the coming week is widely seen as ratifying changes to the law, which aims to protect animals in one of the world's most biodiverse countries.

Costa Rica's national parks attract some 300,000 visitors annually, and tourism is a mainstay of the economy.

http://www.guardian....t?newsfeed=true

Any place that can bring in funds from tourism has a lead on everyone else. Imagine what Cuba could be like had they not shut out the tourism industry. Back in the early 1900's, Cuba was a big tourist destination. They have the size, the climate, some of the best beaches in the world, location. They could be one of the wealthiest nations on tourism alone.

Any place that can bring in funds from tourism has a lead on everyone else. Imagine what Cuba could be like had they not shut out the tourism industry. Back in the early 1900's, Cuba was a big tourist destination. They have the size, the climate, some of the best beaches in the world, location. They could be one of the wealthiest nations on tourism alone.

Doubt that, while Cuba is off limits for most US Americans, Europeans flock to their beaches in the same number as to other Caribbean destinations.

Doubt that, while Cuba is off limits for most US Americans, Europeans flock to their beaches in the same number as to other Caribbean destinations.

Yes, but the American market would be huge. Heck, crappy Mexican tourist traps make a fortune off of Americans. Cuba could have cashed in. When I was a travel agent, I received calls every day from people wanting to go to the Caribbean. Many would ask for advice on places that were not jam packed with people. That took out most of the islands.

I hope this helps them rather than hurts. Typically, hunters are the most active group in keeping wildlife and parks going. If this group is completely shut out, I worry that the tourism industry will make inroads to purchase property formally used by hunters to build more "resorts". This is more devestating to the local flora and fauna than anything else. Best of luck to this forward thinking country.

I hope this helps them rather than hurts. Typically, hunters are the most active group in keeping wildlife and parks going. If this group is completely shut out, I worry that the tourism industry will make inroads to purchase property formally used by hunters to build more "resorts". This is more devestating to the local flora and fauna than anything else. Best of luck to this forward thinking country.

Great points. It very well could backfire. Makes you wonder what the original intentions for this ban was. Maybe the tourism cash is the main factor.

I wonder if the cash has been found to keep the wildlife and park funds going?