Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Some musing on God

ambelamba

I've been toying with the possibility that God might be mischievous/evil.

Maybe I am a pessimist. No, I AM a pessimist. And observing the vices, evil, tragedies, and such in this world makes me even more adamant about my maltheism. Or, God might be neither good nor evil. Maybe somewhat closer to evil, like us. No one can stop God and God has no responsibility to act morally. Absolute Power corrupts everyone and God is no exception.

Maybe polytheists are right. There has to be some good deities out there. I don't know how it works out but I keep on thinking that a single deity cannot manage the entire universe. Maybe the deity who's in charge of our world might be a really lousy one. See, due to my perceptions and innate traits it's pretty damn hard for me to be an atheist.

It's really a depressing idea: God is not good and he enjoys observing all the bad things in our world. Since humans have the instinct to believe a benevolent deity or more, my kind of mindset won't be even computable to most people out there. Most people can't even think about the possibility of God being evil.

Sometimes I wonder if there's no God, though. My guilty pleasure is to visit celeb gossip sites and boy, a just and moral God must be taking a nap. Just like many single men out there I do have a celebrity crush. She is touted to be the next Elizabeth Taylor or something. And her image is quite squeaky clean. But recent news of her made me wonder: Why in the hell does she starring in three movies produced by one of the most powerful and vile scum in the Hollywood?

Gretchen Mol worked for this *snip* more than a decade ago. And she was one of his girls who passed through his legendary casting couch. One thing that derailed her career is that she wanted to end the affair with him. Many actresses were tainted by this disgusting piece of garbage: Jessica Alba, Anne Hathaway, Sienna Miller, Chris Martin's wife, and many more.

If God has my level of patience then he would personally come down *snip* and smote some bankers and hedge fund managers who are the actual power behind Hollywood....

Edited by Saru
Removed slur / reference to violence
  • Like 3

Maybe God was a ancient astronaut and we are just an experiment.

• Like 1

You're not the only one:

http://en.wikipedia....od_as_the_Devil

The 18th-century Anglo-American philosopher Thomas Paine wrote in The Age of Reason that "Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we called it the word of a demon, than the Word of God."

It's ironic, I grew up believing that, a little gematria irony:

http://www.gematrix.org/?word=629

In jewish gematria, these calculate to 629:

The holy bible

Demonic inspiration

The dark side of the force

Catostrophic lies

Edited by HavocWing

• 2 weeks later...

I was raised in a Southern Baptist church. My family was very religious. I was made to go every time the doors opened. I had to play the piano for the church too. I hated it then. When my gmother passed away I never went again. I have an odd view of life and death.

As I get older I do think about it more but as far as a one mighty god I don't think so.

I was made to go so much that I ended up hating it.

While living in Tn that is all you see is churches everywhere and signs for churches. Everything closes down for church hrs. The thing is tho that most of these church going people are the biggest hypocrites there are.

I would rather not go to church and not be a hypocrite.

• Like 3

It's wise to think or keep in mind that God(?) is not, or may not be, in this world. There are more reasons than one why this is the case. Also, it all depends on your definition of god. In order to define god or have a notion of god, one has to really experience the "promise" of it beyond this world, as in the afterlife. Otherwise, god is a mere bookworm master-bation.

"Patience" is a human quality.

In order to be patient, there has to be at least two beings in the room. If God(?) is one, to whom will he be patient? Same thing with love and other (emotional) human traits...

Are we really praying to God(?), or are we praying to a demigod? Big difference.

Peace.

God's Coyote from Native American legends, he just likes to have fun and have a good laugh every now and then, we provide the best comedy.

As there is a possibility that the Universe has expanded and contracted an infinite number of times, it stands to reason that some form of super intelligence may have evolved to exist beyond the event horizons and that these super beings have more or less become God and have built a super collider which manufactures universes including our own. Just as we can observe ants on Earth these super beings are perhaps WATCHING US for their own entertainment and gloating at our misfortunes and ridiculous antics! :unsure2: :unsure2:

There is something sinister about religions. I cannot deni that. But it depends entirely on your view of god. If god is a collective cocouisness, the indeed you are god, and it is your responsibility to intervene.

The other issue is free will. Can we have free will with a creator god intervening on our behalf all the time.

Duality

The law of diminishing marginal utility ensures that we will value the good less and less without The bad. There would be no heros without strife, no humility without humiliation, no reward without risk, no value of life without death, and no value in pleasure, No utility in life, no goodness, no accomplishments, no abundance, no compassion, no revelation, and no transcendence.

I don't like the things that happen in this world either, but that is who I am. How can I be That person if it does not exist? How could anybody? I will suffer death one day, I have and will watch loved ones die, I have emotional scars, but I would not change any of It . A fluffy bunny existence would be worse than a dangerouse one.

If there is a creator god, it could not have made it any better and retain free will than it did. We have to be allowed to make our own decisions and suffer the consequences otherwise we are robots. We have to be able to suffer, so that we can define ourselves against it.

Even so I don't believe the great spirit is omnipotent, and I do believe there other beings that are here to help us along to the best if their ability. And still yet others to govern the complexity of the universe.

Edited by Seeker79