Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bees 'producing M&M's coloured honey'

Still Waters

Bees at a cluster of apiaries in northeastern France have been producing honey in mysterious shades of blue and green, alarming their keepers who now believe residue from containers of M&M's processed at a nearby biogas plant is the cause.

Since August, beekeepers around the town of Ribeauville in the region of Alsace have seen bees returning to their hives carrying unidentified colourful substances that have turned their honey unnatural shades.

Mystified, the beekeepers embarked on an investigation and discovered that a biogas plant 4km (2.5 miles) away has been processing waste from a Mars plant producing M&M's, bite-sized candies in bright red, blue, green, yellow and brown shells.

http://www.telegraph...ured-honey.html

Awww man! I was hoping to see a pic of the honey, not a silly bee on a flower. :no:

Wow..I'd love Blue or purple honey myself. That would be so cool.

• Like 2

The man had better be careful the company will want payment for the waste the bee's carry off.

I'd be okay with wacky colored honey, as long as it was still tasty

• Like 1

Blue honey would be awesome but couldnt the honey producer add food coloring themselves and get the same if not better, brighter, more vivid and varied colors.

This kinda brings back memories of the old Reeses commercials...

"You got your chocolate in my Honey...."

• Like 1

Instead of playing psychodelical games they should put some more attention into the wholesomeness of the rpoduct.

Having read the article, my humble take on this is that this causes a higher mortality rate in bee's.

I also understand that the Mars company has taken steps to reduce this issue.

We need bee's for us to survive on this planet !!

Wow..I'd love Blue or purple honey myself. That would be so cool.

Yeah, why couldn't they sell it?.I'd buy it I love M&M's

Good thing they didn't pass it off as some limited edition colored honey.

Are you in marketing :tsu: That's a terrific idea!!

I assume it is legal coloring for food, so the honey should be safe. Why didnt they just sell it as a gimmick?

I assume it is legal coloring for food, so the honey should be safe. Why didnt they just sell it as a gimmick?

If I recall correctly(?) this is not a food coloring additive added after honey is produced. Rather it's color comes from ingestion prior to producing honey.

And, for some reason there seems to be a higher mortality for those bees.

Seems to be of a concern enough that the Mars company is mitigating exposure. Not to humans, but to the bees.