Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

October Surprise Coming

Merc14

Yeah, note the date. It was still Bush's decision no matter how you look at it. He made the choice. Deal with it.

$3500 you say? Oh, no....thats what GM says. Thats what they tell the press. Like they tell the press that workers make $75 an hour. Of course they'd never lie. Even though my paystubs never paid me nearly that much.

Of course I support unions. They negotiated me a good wage and a $140K buyout. And actually Im thankful everyday that the plant closed down because I ended up in an even better place.

Unions are good. Its no coincidence that the US had enormous economic growth in the 50s and 60s when union membership was at its peak. And it was you who brought up GM plant closings, I gave you union numbers. You dont like it? WAH WAH WAH....you're going to have another 4 years of whining about Obama so we might as well get used to it.

You want October suprise??? How about a guy running for President who wants to send all the Federal Government powers back to the states. Thats what he said the other night. Sounds like he's still rather be a governor. Or at least shuck all responsibility back on them.

Like I said, start a thread, I'll be happy to post.

Blaming the UAW for GM's failure does seem to be a cop out.

As the above poster mentioned, negotiating is a two way street. GM accepted the terms because they could STILL make money, even after paying those things. GM's lack of management, an product with quality issues, and a push towards foreign vehicles spelled doom for GM. They could not see the writing on the wall, and we far too slow to change.

If a hedge fund manger or a CEO negotiates to get everything they can, they are considered saavy, if a laborer does it, they are considered scum??

That's a double standard that just doesn't have a basis in reality.

• Like 2

Like I said, start a thread, I'll be happy to post.

LOL.I have no interest in anything you have to say.

LOL.I have no interest in anything you have to say.

I would guess not, the truth hurts and you got burned by your union didn't you. They got theirs and dumped you boys to the curb rather than take even a little pay cut or retirement hit. Go UAW! :tsu:

Why so hostile? Why so bitter? You sound like one of those guys who got let go on day 89.

The truth? 60% is hardly a small hit. See, those of us with self-respect and dignity would never accept a 60% pay cut, but reading your posts I can see dignity isn't something you're very big on. Guess it comes from saying "would you like fries with that?" and living in your moms basement.

*This message brought to you by the labor movement, the people who gave you weekends!*

• Like 1

Weekends existed long before the unions. I don't belong to one and I take weekends off. When I did belong to one I worked every weekend. My lady works for one and works weekends. Today's unions are merely a legal mafia. You pay scummy fat greasy guys for protection. Save a few bucks and fight for yourself.

• Like 1

http://www.alternet.org/election-2012/revealed-romneys-bain-capital-invested-grotesque-chinese-sweatshop-detailed-boca-raton

http://truth-out.org/buzzflash/commentary/item/17534-illinois-workers-fight-back-against-bain-capital-outsourcing-their-jobs-to-china

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/16/world/asia/bain-capital-tied-to-surveillance-push-in-china.html?pagewanted=all

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/9/20/bainport_a_taste_of_the_romney

and about 100 more.

If you really don't want to know the answer better don't ask the question. And don't come with: But Romney was not... maybe not in the China time, but he still has enough interests in the company to stop this kind of behavior if it suited him. Evidently he did not.

Ah, yes, if you insist we can continue with jobs outsourced by Bain Capital under Romney to Bangladesh, India and Mexico.

Were Bain capital employees shipped to china? If not then the only reason he'd have shipped some other companies work overseas was because that made the most business sense to the company who hired him to make choices that made the most business sense. If he closed a plant that wasn't cause he was evil it was because the owner of the plant paid him to make the tough decisions that said owner couldn't. Otherwise not closing one unproductive plant could've resulted in all the others shutting down too. I can see the ads now...Romney was paid to make tough decisions and he couldn't so the entire company failed and he killed 100's of thousands of jobs and killed untold people who lost their benefits due to his negligence. He couldn't do what he was paid to do.

Edited by Is it for real
  • Like 1

Were Bain capital employees shipped to china? If not then the only reason he'd have shipped some other companies work overseas was because that made the most business sense to the company who hired him to make choices that made the most business sense. If he closed a plant that wasn't cause he was evil it was because the owner of the plant paid him to make the tough decisions that said owner couldn't. Otherwise not closing one unproductive plant could've resulted in all the others shutting down too. I can see the ads now...Romney was paid to make tough decisions and he couldn't so the entire company failed and he killed 100's of thousands of jobs and killed untold people who lost their benefits due to his negligence. He couldn't do what he was paid to do.

Still, is it not nice of Mr. Romney to try to get the jobs back he himself shipped abroad?

Still, is it not nice of Mr. Romney to try to get the jobs back he himself shipped abroad?

Yes we get your point. That doesn't mean we can't see through the snide tone of your comment. After 27,000 posts you've kinda of let on to who you are.

• Like 1

Yes we get your point. That doesn't mean we can't see through the snide tone of your comment. After 27,000 posts you've kinda of let on to who you are.

Nice, so why do you waste your breath?

Nice, so why do you waste your breath?

For all the people who don't know you. Just giving the opposing view.

• Like 2

For all the people who don't know you. Just giving the opposing view.

I see.

Please continue.

in related news:

Mitt Romney is worth $250 million. Why so little?

By William D. Cohan, Published: October 5

Mitt Romney is indisputably a very rich man. And if he is elected president on Nov. 6, he will become one of the wealthiest people ever to hold the office.

But exactly how wealthy is Romney? The figure that gets tossed around is $250 million in net worth — meaning the total value of his assets, financial and others, minus any debts.

It’s a big number, but frankly, it seems low. Given the industry in which he made his fortune (private equity), the era when he made it (the 1980s and 1990s) and the wealth of his peers in that business (mostly billionaires), Romney should be worth a good bit more than that.

Why isn’t he?

No surprise, Romney has not made it easy to figure out the precise size of his fortune, and any inferences drawn from the available data are necessarily speculative — yet they still, I think, say something about the man who would be president.

Read more

Weekends existed long before the unions. I don't belong to one and I take weekends off. When I did belong to one I worked every weekend. My lady works for one and works weekends. Today's unions are merely a legal mafia. You pay scummy fat greasy guys for protection. Save a few bucks and fight for yourself.

Does your lady work seven days a week? Before people organized to have a voice in their workplace, the typical work week was six days a week with the Sabbath (Sunday) off. A typical work day was 10 or 12 hours , sometimes more, with no overtime pay. I agree that unions have been thoroughly corrupted. One i used to belong to basically stole the retirement money i had accrued. But.... if labor organization had never happened .. you would see a BIG difference from the current situation.

• Like 2

Does your lady work seven days a week? Before people organized to have a voice in their workplace, the typical work week was six days a week with the Sabbath (Sunday) off. A typical work day was 10 or 12 hours , sometimes more, with no overtime pay. I agree that unions have been thoroughly corrupted. One i used to belong to basically stole the retirement money i had accrued. But.... if labor organization had never happened .. you would see a BIG difference from the current situation.

I know that. Their best days are behind them now though. No, she only works five day weeks but when I belonged to one it wasn't uncommon to work 13 days in a row while technically that was two six day work weeks back to back. Long weeks and long hours aren't necessarily a bad thing though. Sure not everyone's cut out for that. I just think all the good they've done is in the past and on the books already and mostly they're just like a small crooked government in themselves these days.

• Like 1

My stepdad worked as a merchant seaman from the 40's til the 80's and his union (SIU) "negotiated" their way into most ships in the American fleet being flagged under a foreign country with foreign crews. It became a real hardship and I lost what respect I had for unions at that point. I agree that in the early days they did tremendous good for workers. Those days are gone, however.

• Like 1

I think the only October surprise that has a chance of shaking up the electorate is an Israeli strike on Syria or Iran. Being dragged into another war might give people pause and cause them to vote differently. But I actually think that depending how it happened it would tend to benefit Obama.

the UAW who have run it back into the ground.

Bankruptcy is what should've happened with GM.

If this is being "run into the ground", you have some pretty weird definitions. You realize the shear number of jobs and companies related to GM jobs that would have been lost. It would have helped your "cause" of having high unemployment on the back of a good number of Americans.

The company has reported annual profits since 2010. It can carry forward previous losses to reduce tax liability on future earnings. It earned $4.7 billion in 2010. The Wall Street Journal estimated the tax break, including credits for costs related to pensions and other expenses can be worth as much as $45 billion over the next 20 years.[28]

In 2010, General Motors ranked second on the list with 8.5 million units produced globally.[29] In 2011, GM returned to the first place with 9.025 million units sold worldwide, corresponding to 11.9% market share of the global motor vehicle industry. The top two markets in 2011 were the United States, with 2,503,820 vehicles sold, and China, with 2,547,203 units. The Chevrolet brand was the main contributor to GM performance, with 4.76 million vehicles sold around the world in 2011, a global sales record.

from wikipedia
  • Like 1

No they really didn't. What you are able to do is a result of Unions. You now have a choice. It's sad that you don't know this and didn't learn it in school.

http://www.ehow.com/about_6692488_history-40_hour-work-week.html

• Like 1

For every one horror story that involves a Union, there are oodles of quiet success stories.

Middle class America is built on the backs of Unionists. It's decline is mirrored by the decline in Middle class.

• Like 2

I think the October Surpirse may be a deal with Iran that they stop processing uranium and we ratchet down sanctions. Iran has riots in the streets and massive inflation and cutting a deal before the elction puts them in good with Obama.