Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Guidance from God

ranrod

I've been helping some charities and in talking to one of them that works with Churches, I casually mentioned that my life was at a crossroads and I wasn't sure which path was best to take next. He said he took his guidance from the Lord. Does this make sense?

1) I don't want any cheats. I want to live my own life. If an all-knowing god came to me and told me to take a certain path, I would feel cheated. I don't want to be a robot following blindly at instructions from a higher being. If one ends up being a mistake, so be it. At least I got to do it my way. Wanting to know the right answer is about fear.

2) *Should* I take it, if told the 'right' path? I might want to purposely make the mistake just for the ride.

3) It presupposes one path in life is better than the other. Is what an Amish do less valuable than an engineer, or a doctor, or an astronaut, or an assembly line worker, or a preacher, or anything else benign? A path may be better in one way, and the other in a different way. Some would let their spirits be crushed (figuratively) work-wise in exchange for making a lot more money (can't imagine a god saying, "screw it, take the money!"). Some would rather have little money but creative freedom. Some would be content having an honest paying job.

However, now and then I hear someone say, "let God guide the way", or "I take my guidance from God", or something similar.

If you could literally have God tell you what path is best for you, would you?

• Like 1

No.

No, I wouldn't. Then what would be the point in living? That's like taking a test and having the answers written on the inside of your hand. Life is about learning experiences. It's about growing as a person from these experiences. If you don't get to choose your own path, then it's not your path.

In my opinion, I think one should live their life according to what they feel in their heart is right, and not by some notions that a higher power is going to give you a life changing answer. View your entire life from outside the box, then search deep within yourself for the answer.

• Like 1

When it comes to God(?), "if" doesn't compute. Besides, the way I'm getting my God(?), It is not in this world. God(?) is completely in a different reality. It seems to me you already know your path. On the other hand, most people would rather just live out their lives, unless something triggers this searching-for-god mode, like catastrophic personal event(s) for example -- ouch. Everything has a season, so people say. Is it the same as a time-released medication? That, I don't know. All I know is the story of my life...too well.

Peace.

Edited by braveone2u

God is nearer than you think. "the kingdom of heaven is within you". You already have God if full measure as much as anyone who ever lived, the only thing that bars the way is wilfulness, as long as it holds sway, you remain estranged from God. Until you can truly say, "thy will be done". Millions mutter those words daily without realising their true import.

• Like 1

I think you should choose your own path.. Dont let religion or anyone tell you what to do or how to live your own life.

As Habitat said, "the kingdom of heaven is within you", and it is your choice and your path to choose however you wish...

Don't even think about money.. Think only of what you want to do..

• Like 1

Socrates said ,'know thy self', forget religion, look within yourself. As Prof T and Habitat said the creative force is within you it is Life Itself. Meditaion is the medication.

"I looked for God and found myself" a persian saying.

• Like 2

Well my sig pretty much concurs with what has been said so far. To "let God guide the way" is not what many imagine. It is really what is true to you that is the material guide, your conscience speaks all the time, when you learn to listen and comprehend what it is telling you then the saying "let God guide the way" can be reconciled - to a degree.

Free will is paramount, telling others what to do or doing what others tell you to do are just battles for supremacy or docile submission. You have your own internal engine and it will drive you, the questions you ask and answers you seek pretty much say it all. If I were you, I would be pretty content with that questing mind.

Ramrod this is God, go ahead take the money :clap: Excellent question, I try not to let outside sources (god, family, friends, government, sociaity) dictate my life, I don't always succeed...but like you said at least I'M making the mistakes

To become the person you are now, did you read, listen to instructors or mentors to learn how to live in a way that is productive and that makes you happy? Most people will have to answer yes. If a person actually believes God exists then the question becomes whether or not you will listen to His instructions and use the knowledge to make a better, happier life for yourself. It's not miraculous (usually) but it cannot happen without willingness. If one does not believe in God the point is immaterial.

I agree with most here. I think it doesn't work in the converse either: Should God give you the answer? (assuming he has nothing better to do than give people career advice). If the stakes where higher, hypothetically speaking, I can see people asking God as a last-resort. It seemed like the fellow I was talking to did it about any little mundane thing in his life. However, the way I read some responses here, that notion of God may equate to a non-believer notion of the subconscious. For reference, in my case one option does have a whole lot of money, but very unhappy doing it. Probably develop some psychosomatic medical issues along the way. The other option is cool, exciting, and very difficult, but I might end up in the poor house after a year. Basically sell my soul to a large monolithic corporation, or try to make it on my own. Tough choice.

Edited by ranrod

This Abrahamic god is a jealous and vengeful slavemaster. Besides, it is not any god that tells you how to behave, it is the people who control the written word about this god. They are puppeteers, and I will not be their puppet.

• Like 1

You do realise that when others have followed the guidance of god it has led to any number of horrific things!? (Good things too of course, but I guess it just depends if you are up for playing the odds...)

I agree with most here. I think it doesn't work in the converse either: Should God give you the answer? (assuming he has nothing better to do than give people career advice). If the stakes where higher, hypothetically speaking, I can see people asking God as a last-resort. It seemed like the fellow I was talking to did it about any little mundane thing in his life. However, the way I read some responses here, that notion of God may equate to a non-believer notion of the subconscious. For reference, in my case one option does have a whole lot of money, but very unhappy doing it. Probably develop some psychosomatic medical issues along the way. The other option is cool, exciting, and very difficult, but I might end up in the poor house after a year. Basically sell my soul to a large monolithic corporation, or try to make it on my own. Tough choice.

ok ..... so you summed it up there....

either way is a path of learning....

me thinks your not asking so much about what would "god" want me to do.....

as what rings true more to myself.....

a true loving god would want you to become the most that you can be...

and that only comes from the learning of experience....

either choice will enrich your life.....

on the one hand....

if you have lived hand to mouth.....

then a job that offers you money?

offers you the ability to live some of the dreams you have had, more then just the mundane repetitiveness ...

but that is in how you deal with it...

to try it on your own?

well.... there is the other choice....

if you are good at what you do?....

and more people see the worth in your work?....

then the money will come....

and you will have the means to live out some of your dreams...

its the fear of failure that holds us all back....

so i guess the choice is more simple then just this way or that way....

it would boil down to ....

what are your non work related goals?

and what are you willing to do to achieve them?

travelling the world takes money..... (just as an example)

and do those goals have anything to do with money?

The whole point of it all is living enough lives, for enought time, to become sick of it and surrender to God. If you choose to see this as something negative, then you're not ready yet. And that's fine. God is still working in your life, whether you realize it or not. However, realizing makes life a hell of a lot easier.

The whole point of it all is living enough lives, for enought time, to become sick of it and surrender to God. If you choose to see this as something negative, then you're not ready yet. And that's fine. God is still working in your life, whether you realize it or not. However, realizing makes life a hell of a lot easier.

I will not surrender to a terrorist.

• Like 1

I will not surrender to a terrorist.

You're misinterpreting what I'm saying. The thing about God is he's good, and he makes people happy. Anyone who chooses not to accept that is choosing a life devoid of true happiness. But hey, I can see I'm not going to convince you, and that's fine. I would encourage you to truly contemplate the matter rather than pulling out something I didn't even say to try to detract from my point. Find something good in it--something good to you. If you look at it as something negative, there is absolutely no way you can benefit from it. You really won't even entertain the notion?

You really won't even entertain the notion?

No, I will not surrender to a terrorist.

• Like 1

You're misinterpreting what I'm saying. The thing about God is he's good, and he makes people happy. Anyone who chooses not to accept that is choosing a life devoid of true happiness. But hey, I can see I'm not going to convince you, and that's fine. I would encourage you to truly contemplate the matter rather than pulling out something I didn't even say to try to detract from my point. Find something good in it--something good to you. If you look at it as something negative, there is absolutely no way you can benefit from it. You really won't even entertain the notion?

And your god made people in Auschwitz happy? And if so, presumably it would have been the guards as I don't think the inmates were happy...

Greetings wanderer,

The issue with God pends on what concept of God one worships? What gives you the authority to speak on behalf of what God is? What leads you to believe God is good? If god is good by virtue doesn't god need to be evil as well to even know what good is? What text/s lead you to your God? If you follow an Abrahanic God, Allah, Satan, Genii, Odin Zeus whatever, isn't one worshipping the concept of the Gods of another person? And if you worship the God of another (ie Moses, Muhammed), aren't you by proxy worshipping that person (ie Moses, Jesus, Muhammed)? Why worship the concepts of another person? And since you state, "true happiness" what is "true happiness?"

This worship of Gods by "outter sources" instead of the God within is risky business.

SINcerely,

:devil:

And your god made people in Auschwitz happy? And if so, presumably it would have been the guards as I don't think the inmates were happy...

Look, there is still evil in the world. I don't think there's anyone who can deny that. But opposite evil, is ultimate good. The fact of the matter is, evil is powerful, and even though God is more powerful, evil is faster, and in the current times, people will buy into it. "The gears of God grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly small."

Maybe I'm not clear enough about my beliefs--I believe everything in the world is spiritual in nature. http://www.spiritualresearchfoundation.org/articles/id/spiritualresearch/spiritualscience/purposeoflife This website upholds all that I have been saying. That is my holy text. I encourage you to explore it if you care to know more detail.

By looking at many religions, one is keeping an open mind. How can one deny or believe in something if they know nothing of it? And tell me, if you picked a devout Jewish man to compare to an equally as devout Muslim man, would you deny that both worship their respective deities with equal conviction? Who is to say that they both can't be right in their own respective ways?

And if you have to ask what happiness is, then you're severely over thinking it. You and everyone else here knows exactly what happiness is. However you may not know that there is happiness that comes from temporary things--immediate gratification, use your imagination here--and then there is lasting happiness, despite circumstances. Happiness, and ability to roll with the punches. That is spiritual happiness--happiness stemming from God. Ultimately, it's what every human being is seeking. And since we are all just the respective sums of our respective experiences, a single path couldn't possibly be right for every person. That's why there are many.

I am always surprised by responses like this. What is the evidence that leads people to believe the Judeo-Christian god is good? The OT surely paints a different picture. Also, can't we achieve the same happiness on our own? Additionally, if we could literally ask god to make us happy, would we? I wouldn't. It's my life, my path, my choices that create happiness or sorrow.

• Like 1