Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wolves and mountain lions poised to invade US

Still Waters

Wolves and mountain lions could soon be a more common sight in densely populated cities in the United States, experts fear.

Colonies of coyotes have already established themselves in the suburbs of Chicago.

Scientists believe other potentially dangerous wild animals, including wolves, lions and bears, may soon be following in their footsteps as they adapt to urban living.

Yesterday a mountain lion stretching over 6-feet in size was shot dead by police officers in a residential area of Des Moines, Iowa while roaming just blocks from an elementary school and in a man's backyard.

http://www.dailymail...ted-States.html

I just imagined a bunch of wolves and mountain lions checking their guns and getting into tanks and planes.

• Like 6

I just imagined a bunch of wolves and mountain lions checking their guns and getting into tanks and planes.

I had them all in Nazi uniforms... :tu:

• Like 2

I don't know how people live in 'bear country' I would be terrified! :passifier:

Because awwwww!

Polar+Bear+Cub+Stuttgart+Zoo+Q2_yJoCDHAWl.jpg

Also, bear's natural habits are amazing:

bear-knife-fight.jpg

• Like 5

Their habitat has been invaded that's why they are there plus there is more of them. It took a long time before the dept of conservation would admit we have mountain lions and we have plenty of coyotes, too many.

Maybe we can negotiate with them.

• Like 1

Go wolves, Go lions!!! There's plenty of meat to go around! :clap:

• Like 2

I was seeing them swimming across the Niagara River at night...or crossing the border into Montana covered in leafy cammo...

• Like 1

Go wolves, Go lions!!! There's plenty of meat to go around! :clap:

Careful they might start invading Ireland by using Canada Geese as dive bombers

And this is what happens when they do.

CHATSWORTH, GA (WRCB) -- People in Chatsworth no longer need to be cautious of three bears that were roaming neighborhoods, streets and school yards looking for food.

The Georgia Department of Natural Resources caught the mother and her two cubs and found this was not the bears' first run in with authorities. On Tuesday they were euthanized.

Georgia Department of Natural Resources Wildlife Manager Larry Etheridge said, "in this situation they were coming right up to houses, eating bird seed, sitting down and sleeping."

Etheridge says the three bears had lost all fear of humans, he says one month ago these same bears were removed from a neighborhood in Pickens County.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/19739587/chatsworth-bears-caught-euthanized-by-georgia-dnr

CHATSWORTH, GA (WRCB) -- People in Chatsworth no longer need to be cautious of three bears that were roaming neighborhoods, streets and school yards looking for food.

The Georgia Department of Natural Resources caught the mother and her two cubs and found this was not the bears' first run in with authorities. On Tuesday they were euthanized.

Georgia Department of Natural Resources Wildlife Manager Larry Etheridge said, "in this situation they were coming right up to houses, eating bird seed, sitting down and sleeping."

Etheridge says the three bears had lost all fear of humans, he says one month ago these same bears were removed from a neighborhood in Pickens County.

http://www.wrcbtv.co...-by-georgia-dnr

So they couldn't have just moved them really far into the wilderness?!

That's just sad. :td:

Coyotes in Florida are bold enough to take a little dog right off its leash while the owner is walking it. They hang out along with bobcats around golf courses. I almost lost my cat to a bobcat. I open the door just in time for my cat to get away. The bobcat just stood there giving me a dirty look for spoiling his hunt. Biggest bobcat I ever saw and I have seen a few.

http://www.wrcbtv.co...-by-georgia-dnr

From OP article: "The animals do not usually attack humans. Waving arms, shouting, or throwing a rock will usually scare a threatening coyote away, said Dr Gehrt."

I love all wildlife but unfortunately they are already getting too used to humans for scare tactics to work, which will only lead to more problem encounters as animal populations near humans increase. Coyotes have bitten dogs and people protecting their dogs at a dog park where a relative of mine lives. Except for children and pets, I fear the losers will be the wildlife in these situations. But I love children and pets too.

• Like 1

I don't know how people live in 'bear country' I would be terrified! :passifier:

I live in a tiny town right in bear/wolf/cougar country. I'm more afraid of the people from the big city. :o

• Like 1

Rather have wolves and lions invade then oh say China.

Seen moose romping around through town a few times... after seeing that madness I think I would rather deal with a bear or two.

These animal nuisances and menaces to society must yield way for the other cockroaches, the human race!

Animals will be reserved strictly to overcrowded slaughterhouses where the roaches' meat is harvested. And as long as it's just chickens, fish, pigs, and cows, who cares? The rest of the animals serve little useful purpose to humans, and besides, future generations can simply look at beautiful color pictures online of all the extinct species we didn't care about while they were still here.

I'm not sure if I'm being cynical about the future or not (everyone will have their iGadgets handy after all), probably just a realist.