Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Graphics problem

Jeremiah65

I have an old cad station I have been using for several years. It has been solid as rock and never gave me any problems. Today it just started doing something weird.

When I am in wire frame, it behaves as normal but when I am in solids, it craps all over itself. It just ..;poof...started happening. When I zoom in while in solids, it will do the zoom (or unzoom, depends) and it retains the other image. I know it's hard to explain. Imagine having a photograph and you zoom in on it. You get the zoom, but you also get the original smaller image right in the middle of everything.

My first hunch is video card going bad, that somehow it's not dumping ram or refreshing the polygons. I don't have one right away to test. Well I do, but it's for a more advanced system and it won't run on this particular puter.

My second guess was it might be the ram...but I kinda doubt that. if my ram was going bad, wouldn't it crap out whether in wire or solids?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

try running the dxdiag utility and run the gfx test, you can also download other similar testing software (it'll test all your dx, h/w, s/w, GL, etc)

start menu > run program > type 'dxdiag'

my thoughts also, (if you haven't been updating drivers recently?) hardware on its way out.

I just ran the dxdiag and it says everything is fine! Which obviously is is not. I'm thinking of trying to re-install the drivers ands see if that flies. Thanks for the input btw.

Sounds like dying card if there's been no change in confguration or drivers. Or CPU or PSU. (lol)

Open the computer up, clean it and physically reinstall your card and memory.... is what I'd do.

Edited by Eldorado

It was the video card. I took a shot and got a new one and yeppers...it's fixed now...working just fine. Thanks for the input folks!

• Like 1

Sounds more like it was a software issue, a GPU dying looks like this:

weirdo.jpg

I've seent hat enough times to know. I hate the feeling of when that happens. lol (it happens to xbox's as well)

Is that computer connected to the internet and doing automatic updates? You never stated what operating system you have on it. If it's a Microsoft OS and it runs automatic driver updates there is a chance that Microsoft thought it had a better driver than the manufacturer so during auto updates it downloaded and installed that newer driver.

I've seen that happen with video cards on some of my older computers and had to roll back drivers.

Installing a different video card could result with different drivers that work for the new card. I would make sure that if you have auto updates turned on that it is set for 'critical' updates only and not drivers and software updates.

Anyway, I am glad you have solved your problem. :tu: