Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New brunette colour squirrels seen in the UK

Still Waters

First it was just the red squirrel, then the grey – and then a third, the little-known black variety, was observed.

Now scientists have recorded a fourth type of squirrel living in the UK: a "brunette".

The creature's existence has come to light following a nationwide research project, launched earlier this year, which asked the public to report sightings of squirrels.

The brunettes, also known as "black-reds", are dark brown or black in colour but have the body shape of a red squirrel, with its distinctive tufty ears. They may have white markings, particularly on their stomachs.

Their discovery makes them the rarest of all the UK's squirrel varieties, with researchers unsure how many there may be. While populations of brunettes are established on the Continent, the researchers believe this is the first time they have been recorded in Britain.

http://www.telegraph...ing-rodent.html

This is interesting as I like squirrels. Imagine we have a new colour B) It would be nice to see one, I've only seen the red squirrels and not many times either.

• Like 2

Lovely wee things!

Beautiful fur color. All I ever saw were the grey squirrels which are numerous in the area I live in. Was surprised to hear the black squirrel is in the US.

This is interesting as I like squirrels. Imagine we have a new colour B) It would be nice to see one, I've only seen the red squirrels and not many times either.

There will soon be a 5th: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callosciurus#Pallas.27s_squirrel

They are already in Belgium.

Beautiful-nature always finds a way of adapting itself.I have a grey squirrel that comes into my garden and he waits now for me to leave him out food.

We have lots of squirrels here.

In my area about 90% are black with the balance a mix or grey and red. Never seen brunettes here.

The proportions vary, you can travel a few miles and find mostly grey squirrels.

They have noisy territorial wars quite often and it's not uncommon for a "gang" to invade others turf. They usually destroy each others nests and kill any babies they find. This is done even within the same species. A family of blacks will often invade a neigboring family to drive them out.