Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Writing on the Wall?

Beany

I just got off the phone with a friend, who told me that last night she woke up about 2:30am and saw some writing, which she said she thought might be Sanskrit, on the ceiling of her bedroom, written in light. The letters/characters were around 4-6" tall, and there were several lines of writing. When she got out of bed to use the bathroom, she said the writing moved along the ceiling right above her. Has any one experienced this, or know of someone who's had a similar experience? She wasn't frightened, thought it was kind of cool, but is totally mystified by what, if anything, it might signify. Anyone have a clue? In all my reading & study, I've never seen a reference to this phenomena. BTW, it may not have been Sanskrit, but it looked like that kind of written language. Thanks for your help.

Edited by Beany

I'm not denying that unusual things can and do happen but could she of been dreaming? Have other explanations been ruled out?

I'm not denying that unusual things can and do happen but could she of been dreaming? Have other explanations been ruled out?

She could have been dreaming, but she's had other similar experiences, so I would guess probably not. she was awake enough to make it to the bathroom and back. but you're right, sometimes it's hard to distinguish dream time from normal time. Have you heard or read of a similar experience?

Edited by Beany

Sounds like she could possibly have been in a half awake half sleep state. This happens often and some can still function as if they were awake during this state. Could be something to do with what I refer to as "sleepy eyes." I've seen odd lights, movement, etc when I first wake up on some occasions.

Did she know what the writing said?

The most 'logical' answer is that the brain was caught half asleep and latched onto something that had been on mind lately, not heard of writing in light before and it's very rare that writing of any kind apart from through channeling via a physical human being etc is documented anyhoo. Obv not an attention seeking event or it'd be 'scrawled in crude, dripping blood on the bedroom wall at 2am!' :w00t: Repeated experiences sound interesting, perhaps she is seeing something linked to her subconscious or vague mesages from somewhere beyond our realm, doesn't mean it ain't 'real' or plausible, keep us posted for any updates :yes:

Neither of us knows what to make of it, it's happened 3 nights in a row so far. I need to call & find out if she's managed to take a photo. I work at a University, where there might be someone who would recognize the writing, if it is a language. Years ago, when her son was 5, he once had a long conversation with what he called his "other parents," who were invisible to his mom, but he interpreted everything that was said on both sides so that his mom would know what was being said. He seemed to be speaking some kind of Middle Eastern language or an East Indian dialect, so maybe this event is connected with that.

How long did the image persist?

There were other events like this - was it the same time at night?

Could the image be copied onto a note pad (if not captured on camera)?

I wonder if it could be a hypnopompic experience.

I looked up Sanskrit via google images and it reminded me of a dream I had a few years ago, of unrecognizable letters in the arctic sunset.

http://m460.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/LaJaDiSc/crypticarcticdream-1.jpg.html?o=94&newest=1

That's fascinating about the child holding a conversation. Children are well documented in being acutely aware and commonly interacting with spirits, someone my friend knows told him about a child that sees the deceased mother of his and gives him messages of when she is in the same room, so strange!

I wonder why it is in such a form if this person is seeing it, do they have any affiliation with such things? Perhaps it is to be passed on to another or something.

Just be aware ,Sanskrit looks similar to Thai ,Arabic,and ancient Tibetan .

Make sure which it is,before you focus on just one.

I have never heard of this,but its similar to many experiences I have had . If its repeated itself to her,so many times,its absolutely trying to convey something to her specifically.

Set up a camera in the bedroom

How long did the image persist?

There were other events like this - was it the same time at night?

Could the image be copied onto a note pad (if not captured on camera)?

I wonder if it could be a hypnopompic experience.

I looked up Sanskrit via google images and it reminded me of a dream I had a few years ago, of unrecognizable letters in the arctic sunset.

http://m460.photobuc...l?o=94&newest=1

It could be hypnopompic, certainly. That would be the most likely explanation. But she also sees other things, as well, and not just at night, and her son has similar experiences, as have I, which is why I tend to take it at face value. She said she'd try to take pictures if it happens again. I would love to see some photos. She woke up two nights in a row around 2:30PM and saw the writing, and didn't wake up her husband due to concerns about how his perceptions of her might change; he's already calling her a witch.

I just clicked on edit, to add this. Sometimes mysterious events occur in our lives that change our foundation of reality and send us off on a journey of self-discovery and pursuit of knowledge. When these events occur outside the realm of what's considered normal, people around us, those we count on for support, those we like to talk things over with, often pull away. So what do we do? Keep our mouths shut and be less than honest so that others can feel comfortable? How do we handle it when people call us crazy or think we're doing drugs or drinking too much? Not just our perceptions of reality change, but our relationships, as well. These two things combined can make life very difficult until the dissonance is resolved.

Edited by Beany
  • Like 1

That's cool .. Although it's weird that it is in some other language and writing.. Why can't it ever be in English .. Ah, why would it be simple, when it could be complicated, I guess ..

However, I think she was dreaming .. I bet you now that she's decided to take a pic, the writings will never ever come back ..

• Like 1

That's cool .. Although it's weird that it is in some other language and writing.. Why can't it ever be in English .. Ah, why would it be simple, when it could be complicated, I guess ..

However, I think she was dreaming .. I bet you now that she's decided to take a pic, the writings will never ever come back ..

It's possible you're right. And I don't know why it's seldom in a language we know. You'd think is someone of something beyond the veil had something to convey they'd do it in a way that would be clear to us. But nooooooo, they just go all mysterious on us, like a big cosmic joke. Ha. Ha.

Hypnogogic and hypnopompic hallucinations may be an explanation.When I was going through a lot of stress, I believe I experienced these, as I slept badly and fitfully.I vividly recall one morning reading an volume of illuminated manuscripts, which i could not understand but which I believed was of great importance.I had woken up and had this large volume in my hands.It certainly seemed more real than a dream, but the volume never reappeared.