Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does Botox affect the ability to parent?

Render

(CNN) -- TV personality Kelly Ripa recently told In Touch Weekly she uses Botox possibly as often as she trims her nails. She also said her kids are useful gauges for when it's time for a tune-up.

She told the magazine: "When my kids start asking me if I'm mad at them, and I say, 'Why do you think I'm mad at you?' They say it's because I'm frowning. I go, 'Oh no! I am? I'll be right back!'"

Pointing the needle in the other direction, recall actress Julia Roberts' anti-Botox comments a couple of years ago: "I want my kids to know when I'm p***ed, when I'm happy and when I'm confounded," she told Elle Magazine. "Your face tells a story ... and it shouldn't be a story about your drive to the doctor's office."

Just how does dulling facial expressions, appearing to freeze them in some cases -- yes we can tell, Fembots -- affect that vital two-way communication street between mother and child? Could not being able to furrow your brow in disapproval when little Johnny throws a fistful of mashed potatoes at your chest make you a less effective mom?

"(Botox) likely does limit and distort parent-infant communication, possibly making the parent look 'flat' emotionally," says Dr. Ed Tronick, associate professor of pediatrics and psychiatry at the University of Massachusetts. "Facial expressions for parents and young children are really critical ways in which we communicate our intentions or whether we're angry or sad, and that involves this very complex array of all the muscles that go into making facial expressions. So if you limit that range of expression, especially with very young children who are really attuned to reading facial expressions, then you limit the amount of information, the amount of emotion that you communicate using a facial expression."

I was introduced to the notion that babies and infants scan mom's face -- more so than the teenager whose head is buried in a smartphone -- while pregnant with my daughter. A friend had given me a copy of "The Female Brain" by Louann Brizendine and I was fascinated to read that female babies are especially sensitive to their mother's moods and facial cues.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/09/20/living/botox-moms/index.html

A Botox study came out last year that found the toxin lowers a key emotion: empathy.

The study:

Embodied Emotion Perception: Amplifying and Dampening Facial Feedback Modulates Emotion Perception Accuracy

http://spp.sagepub.com/content/early/2011/04/21/1948550611406138.abstract

Maybe we'll start seeing the effects of this in a couple of years, if not already.

havent read the artical but will later, i think it would be harder for kids to recognize a parents angry face and happy face lol

I do know this,women who have Botox injected into their face,scare the crap out of me and should only be allowed out at halloween,It makes them look so ugly....

I'm of the age where women I know are getting botox. IMO the results are awful. Some facelift procedures can be terrible as well. The plastic surgery and anti-aging techniques that look good retain the ability of the face to make expressions and result in a softer more natural appearance. When ones face is pulled taunt and all expression is erased a woman doesn't 'look younger' IMO...she just 'looks Hollywood'.

I'm of the age where women I know are getting botox. IMO the results are awful. Some facelift procedures can be terrible as well. The plastic surgery and anti-aging techniques that look good retain the ability of the face to make expressions and result in a softer more natural appearance. When ones face is pulled taunt and all expression is erased a woman doesn't 'look younger' IMO...she just 'looks Hollywood'.

My sister in law has it done regularly every month,and she looks like Hell's version of Baby Jane,the stuff of nightmares...

My sister in law has it done regularly every month,and she looks like Hell's version of Baby Jane,the stuff of nightmares...

I have a friend who thinks she looks *young* since using botox. I've heard the comments complete strangers make behind her back. Suffice to say I'd never use it. I may look old, but at least I look human.

• Like 1

People with scarce brain using Botox, a known poison, should be forced by law not to have babies. Nothing good can come of it when the mother or father lack common sense not to poison their bodies to look "better".

• Like 1

A girl I know does the same thing , every month .

She looks like a cross between a chucky doll and a wax figure , very un-natural look .

TiP.

havent read the artical but will later, i think it would be harder for kids to recognize a parents angry face and happy face lol

that's exactly what the article is about.

What if the baby doesn't understand facial expressions and the parents think the baby is autistic?