Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teen’s stomach removed

Ashotep

A teenager has had her stomach removed in life-saving emergency surgery after she drank a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen during a night out in northern England.

The 18-year-old, named in media reports as Gabby Scanlan, was rushed to hospital after she began feeling breathless and suffering severe stomach pain on consuming the drink at a bar in Lancaster on Thursday.

She was diagnosed with a perforated stomach and doctors performed emergency surgery to remove the organ, Lancashire Police said.Read More

Poor girl, she was celebrating her 18th birthday.

Anyone ever had one of these drinks?

• Like 1

read about this today, poor girl.... you assume at least drinks from the bar are safe

• Like 1

I saw this earlier when I first got to work. My friend lives right near Heysham so I'm going to ask her if she has heard of the girl or anything since she also works at one of the high schools.

I wonder what she will do as far as nutrition goes.

How would you ingest liguid nitrogen?

Wouldn't your lips and tongue freeze solid instantly?

Did they run out of icecubes? I would think criminal charges and a civil lawsuit will follow.

Drinking PBR will do the same thing to your stomach. :tu:

• Like 1

I just saw this on the news, poor girl. Using liquid nitrogen is not something a bar tender should be doing surely? No disrepect to bar tenders!

wow i can't believe this sort of thing is being served to people in their drinks!

i figure she must have had several of these drinks to be affected the way she was. either that or she had an existing condition that was aggravated by it.

otherwise wouldn't a bunch of people from the same bar have had similar problems?

I hate that she has no stomach anymore, but I'm sorry she was dumb.

If it looks like something harmful and you've had a chemistry class (which by 18 she should have) don't drink it.

It's like petting a barking, snarling dog and complaining when you get bitten.

And yes the club that served the drinks are morons too.

• Like 1

I hate that she has no stomach anymore, but I'm sorry she was dumb.

If it looks like something harmful and you've had a chemistry class (which by 18 she should have) don't drink it.

It's like petting a barking, snarling dog and complaining when you get bitten.

And yes the club that served the drinks are morons too.

I think you are being a bit harsh calling her dumb , If she had of just drank liquid nitrogen for the fun of it , then sure she's dumb but she got this drink at a licenced venue and it was claimed to be safe . She had just turned 18 and was having fun and trying new things , if the drink wasn't safe it should never have been put on the menu to start with .

My 2C

TiP.

• Like 1

I think you are being a bit harsh calling her dumb , If she had of just drank liquid nitrogen for the fun of it , then sure she's dumb but she got this drink at a licenced venue and it was claimed to be safe . She had just turned 18 and was having fun and trying new things , if the drink wasn't safe it should never have been put on the menu to start with .

My 2C

TiP.

Well then you think I'm a bit harsh. It's my opinion.

If a licensed establishment tried to sell me a bottle of nails to drink, I'd know better.

Well then you think I'm a bit harsh. It's my opinion.

If a licensed establishment tried to sell me a bottle of nails to drink, I'd know better.

The difference is that a licenced establishment wouldn't sell a bottle of nails but they sold this drink ....

Edit : To add - I'm not trying to have a go at you and I can respect everyones opinions :tu:

TiP.

Edited by tipotep

The difference is that a licenced establishment wouldn't sell a bottle of nails but they sold this drink ....

Edit : To add - I'm not trying to have a go at you and I can respect everyones opinions :tu:

TiP.

Understood.

But I have 2 kids over 18 and honestly if they did something like this I'd think they were dumb to drink it too. Just being honest.

I do feel bad for a young girl with such a huge medical problem now, and I too put partial blame on the establishment. I'm just saying that at a certain time we have to all take responsibility for our own actions and have some common sense. Hopefully the establishment is shut down and has to pay out a lot of money to her.

You would think if it is legal to sell in a bar it would be safe.

I'm not sure if they are putting it in the drink or using it to chill the class or alcohol for a smoke effect.

Cigarette's are legal for sale, totally safe then, and those filters make them extra safe.

You make a very good point , cigs are legal and we know they kill .

I wonder if they had a " drink at your own risk " warning with this one ?

TiP.

You would think people would know it's bad to bring liquid nitrogen into contact with your flesh.

I've seen liquid nitrogen used to make drinks and ice cream on food TV channels. They think it's cool when you can blow "smoke" after taking a bite.

• Like 1

I've seen liquid nitrogen used to make drinks and ice cream on food TV channels. They think it's cool when you can blow "smoke" after taking a bite.

That's not smoke, those are the vapors of Ted Williams' head. :whistle:

• Like 1

I do feel sorry for this girl. She has lost her stomach over a drink. Yes I do smell a lawsuit in the wind. She didn't use common sense in this matter. And Yes Coldethyl I do agree with you 100%

I do feel sorry for this girl. She has lost her stomach over a drink.

That's the really sad part.

Whatever the rights or wrongs of what happened, an 18 year old girl is now left without a stomach. How horrible and very sad.

• Like 1