Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dominant dog help

RamblingRebel

Hiya everyone. Wondering if anyone could give me a little advice regarding my dog.

Recently he's been showing signs of dominance toward other dogs, not in an agressive manner, mainly just trying to hump his buddies.

I suppose he's always been a little bit dominant but in a gentle way, never growling, biting or snapping at any other dogs or people. He would just use his sheer vitality and exuberance to make other dogs adopt a submissive pose, but would then be more than happy for other dogs to jump about on him so he would roll over on his back and let them be topdog for a while.

About 10 months ago we got a puppy Yorkshire Terrier who is just full of beans and thinks he's a pitbull.

Now he's only started the humping since this new fella's come along. He's 10 years old now and started doing this more or less every time he plays with any other dogs, whereas he never bothered before, he was always happy to run around and have some craic with the others.

I'm thinking that maybe he is just being protective towards Jack (yorkie). A little while back my neighbour, who's dog is a buddy for our dogs, came round to get hers for his dinner, but he wouldn't come back, he tried running off to the top of the garden so she sets off on a little jog to get him. As soon as she entered the gate to our garden, Ben (big dominant dog) starts barking at her and she near **** herself. She has been in loadsa times before and Ben knows her well, so I was very suprised too.

Then there today a new neighbourhood dog came into the garden so Ben was playing with him, and I think they were trying to establish who is top dog, they both were trying to get on each other for a hump, but there was a stalemate, but there was no danger of them fighting at that point in time, they seemed happy going about the garden checking each other out...until little Jack decided to come out to investigate. Now Jack is totally mental, his idea of fun is latching onto Ben's, or any other dogs tail with his teeth and getting dragged round, and just generally being a pain in the ****...like most puppies.

Now this new dog didn't think this was fun, and snapped at little Jack, which Ben didn't think was appropriate, so in a flash it all kicked off... snarling, biting, yelping, teeth bared and all kinds of grizzly antics going on. Luckily none of the dogs were hurt, although little jack hasn't said boo to a goose since it happened. So it's not all bad I suppose.

Ben's 10 years old, been neutered since about maybe 3 years old, is gentle and a very good dog 99% of the time. Am I right in thinking he's just being protective of little Jack, or could there maybe some underlying problem going on. Perhaps he's at that age where he's not as quick, strong, and exuberant as he used to be and is showing his dominance in a different form?

It's not really a problem as such tbh, but I'd like to nip it in the bud before it does become a serious problem. So any help or advice would be very gratefully recieved thanks.

Cheers

Ste

If you mean get his nuts chopped off. Yeah he's been done years ago poor bugger. First thing he did when he got the lamp shade off was go for a lick of his plums, should've seen his face he was like "WTF where've they gone?!" :w00t:

• Like 1

Get him fixed.

says that he already been neutered, my first thoughts were to get him fixed as well but as thats already done im not sure whats best to suggest.

YOU have to be top dog. He shouldn't be trying to decide who top dog is because he should know that you are top dog. Cesar Milan has a couple of excellent books out on ways to become the master. The dog sees you as part of the pack and if you aren't the master he will always be insecure and fight (or hump) for dominance. Good luck. I've had to do this with my dogs and it really works when they realize you're the boss.

Here's your problem: "About 10 months ago we got a puppy Yorkshire Terrier."

Your older dog is now insecure and most likely seeing everything as a potential threat to what was once only *his*. You need to make sure that the older dog maintains his position, he needs to be fed first, greeted first, given attention first (you get the picture). The good thing is that Ben the elder dog didn't like another dog picking on the newbie Jack, so he's aware that the puppy is his pack member. Basically, Ben appears to me (without seeing the dynamics of the situation) to be insecure. Insecure dogs frequently hump others. Helping Ben feel better about the fact that he isn't being somehow 'replaced' should help the situation. However, I'm only going on what you've said and I haven't seen the dynamic between the dogs (most of dog communication is non verbal) so this is just a guess.

Edited by Lilly
I can't seem to spell correctly!
  • Like 1

Exactly, Lilly...

The new pup is more than likely getting more attention with training and so forth. If possible, reinforce Ben's training along with teaching the new pup and praise him abundantly when he obeys a command. When correcting the new pup make sure Ben knows he is still being a good dog and make it a point to use his name when speaking to him. You can still be firm with the puppy, making sure to smile at Ben for being a good boy, when looking at him. If it isn't possible to work with them both together, try and make sure Ben is thoroughly occupied with someone else, having a good time or getting a rubdown, where he can't see or hear the session.

After a training session, I always make sure to take at least a few minutes for some fun playtime letting them both know they are loved and all's good.

Anyway, that's how I do it. :tu: