Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cell phone in 1928?

Rickety

What I think I find most interesting about these photos is that the "time traveller" proponents seem to think that people from the future, with technology so advanced and unimaginable as to be able to travel back to the early 20th Century, still walk around in early 21st Century clothes and carry practically 1990s-era cameras... I mean, honestly, it would be more likely to be a time traveller if the old woman's "cell phone" (interesting it isn't a Blue-Tooth, or a telecommunicative implant in her head, or whatever the hell cell phones will look like in the future...) was being used as a camera. Cameras are practically obsolete; my family only ever uses their phones as cameras. This fellow from the future deciding for whatever reason to go back to the 20th Century and bringing along clothes and equipment that are virtually obsolete now is just a bit unbelievable... Well, the idea he's a time traveller is unbelievable to start with...

Edited by Arbitran
  • Like 1

The real thing I find fascinating about these threads is how much of an uproar will be caused simply by someone putting an idea in people's heads that something mundane is extraordinary. Make this claim, and watch both sides go at it with equally outlandish explanations and thoughts, while the man behind the story (and curtain) laughs.

What college style letterman jacket letters don't have "wings"? No shadows like his on other people's faces without hats? What about the man in front of "Sally", a few people over? Why is that man's shadow similar to the "time traveler"? Because they are facing the same way.

Never seen exact glasses like that from the '40's? But you just did! They're right there in the picture! What else makes you think they are suspect? Because someone told you you're supposed to find them suspect.

Oh well. It is still fun to talk about.

Edited by _Only
  • Like 1

Oh give me a break. Sure someone took the time to digitally put a young adult who is vaguely different than the adults in the crowd to a very smahll degree. Its so clear now. Whatever floats your boat.

Why would you think that someone wouldnt take the time to fake this?

Since the earliest days people have been faking this sort of thing, surely the Cottingley Faries and Billy Meier have tought us a few lessons, and Photoshop the most valuable lesson, that this can now be done in a matter of hours, if not minutes.

I can only speculate as to the motivations of the person that did this, but as you say, I bet they are ROFL, particularly at the ones who buy into it. Although you seem pretty convinced they are a 'him', something you want to tell us?

But not only does the light and shadows evidence give us the clues that this is fake, there is also the huge humdinger that the kind of time travel suggested in this thread is theoretically impossible.

• Like 1

Don't dictate to me how I present my point of view, just because I use humor in my posts does not make them insulting, merely makes them enjoyable to read for the rest of the community. I even make a point in that post. The point being, there were many compact hearing aids available at the time, not all made by the same company, so just because one was 'too large' or another 'too small' doesn't mean there wasn't one that was 'just right'.

The forger really went to a lot of trouble... even making a reverse angle photo.

http://forgetomori.c...raveller-found/

OK so they aren't Barbara Stanwyck's sunglasses.

But, do you think they could be "Blinkers" from 1938?

http://vintagehaberd...ers-sunglasses/

http://www.ebay.ie/i...8#ht_1186wt_906

The photo was part of an exhibit for the Virtual Museum Of Canada.

http://www.museevirt...0470&rd=117666#

Edited by Mangoze

not only does the light and shadows evidence give us the clues that this is fake, there is also the huge humdinger that the kind of time travel suggested in this thread is theoretically impossible.

How??

You've said that twice now, but haven't shown it, past a vague explanation saying its not right. Explain what it is exactly about the light and shadows that doesn't fit. Your comparing the shadow created by his sunglasses doesn't apply when no one else is wearing sunglasses. So what is wrong, excluding that irrelevant info?

And that humdinger isn't a humdinger when you see that there isn't anything out of place about the guy.

I blame all the faked things we've been saying lately to make the battle cry "it's clearly shopped" tossed out when it's not even warranted. It's a paranoia.

28122795.jpg

As shown in post above, someone took the time to stick this man in multiple shots at multiple angles years and years ago, and hide these photos in a museum's exhibit to hopefully be found some day and leaked onto the internet? It's not like this is a photo that was circulated anonymously.

So now, as Mangoze posted above, you have the same sunglasses (Blinkers style), and his clothes are also of the period. What is left to make this man out of the ordinary? The idea that someone has put in your mind (he, she, or it). That's all that's left. Are you going to stick to that?

This is a lesson in psychology seeing the accusations and presumptions sent back and forth about this picture.

Edited by _Only

It appears she's also a robot, as you can see her attempting to take off her face to clean her titanium exoskeleton.

• Like 3

See old footage of woman holding her hand up to the side of her face and possibly moving her mouth... Initial thoughts? A time traveller using a mobile phone!

shes holding a cigarette case up to her face and asking the cameraman not to record or at least cut her out of the film and she smiles because she finally agrees to be filmed

shes holding a cigarette case up to her face and asking the cameraman not to record or at least cut her out of the film and she smiles because she finally agrees to be filmed

Possibly. People will do odd things when seeing a camera suddenly pointed at them.

Of course there is the possibility that this person was a time traveller to our time. Then when they returned, without all the various wonderful things they had collected due to some law of something or other. They decided to pretend to use a mobile knowing they were being filmed, and knowing it would cause us to scratch our heads now. Likely they returned to these times and are even now on this forum laughing

You're taking all the magic out of life ;)

How??

You've said that twice now, but haven't shown it, past a vague explanation saying its not right. Explain what it is exactly about the light and shadows that doesn't fit. Your comparing the shadow created by his sunglasses doesn't apply when no one else is wearing sunglasses. So what is wrong, excluding that irrelevant info?

Okay, I jumped at the fake thing. It is not the shadow cast by his sunglasses that I talking about, but the shadow stretching from his ear, which if you compare it to other people who are in similar positions seems inconsistent. However it is perfectly possible that his ear sticks out a lot, casting a much longer shadow. I cannot show examples as I am using my PC at work which has no editing software on it at all.

My point still stands that it is easy to fake photo's, and wouldnt be too difficult doing multiple viewpoints, all you would need would be multiple angles of person you wanted to insert.

And that humdinger isn't a humdinger when you see that there isn't anything out of place about the guy.

I blame all the faked things we've been saying lately to make the battle cry "it's clearly shopped" tossed out when it's not even warranted. It's a paranoia.

28122795.jpg

As shown in post above, someone took the time to stick this man in multiple shots at multiple angles years and years ago, and hide these photos in a museum's exhibit to hopefully be found some day and leaked onto the internet? It's not like this is a photo that was circulated anonymously.

So now, as Mangoze posted above, you have the same sunglasses (Blinkers style), and his clothes are also of the period. What is left to make this man out of the ordinary? The idea that someone has put in your mind (he, she, or it). That's all that's left. Are you going to stick to that?

Alright alright! If these photo's are beyond reproach, that's cool, reaching the same conclusion that there is a much more plausible explanation of the scene than that of 'this is a time traveller!'

However, the humdinger is still appropriate to anyone claiming that the person in question is a 'time traveller'.

This is a lesson in psychology seeing the accusations and presumptions sent back and forth about this picture.

Well this is a discussion forum with the tag 'Unexplained Mysteries', where people are invited to present their theories and opinions. Doesnt require a PHD in Psychology to expect a mixed bag of responses to any given post. If you wanted a nice orderly debunking, start a wiki page. The 'lesson in psychology' line is a little insulting given that the purpose of a discussion forum is to discuss.

• Like 1

Doubtful, considering that antuiqe hearing aids were big horns in the ear designed to funnel in sound waves. This was much more compact, and as you can see she was speaking into it.

And cellphones didn't exist back in 1928

The reason I've argued against this is because... it's me, from the future who went back in time to escape the T-800 that's trying to kill me. The phone? I was hungry and was ordering time pizza delivery.

Ah so that is where you went to....You shall not escape me Sarah conner. Besides it can't be a cell phone as we both know that when you time travel you come out the other side naked.

Do do do Do do do do Da da da Da da da da dum

T-888_HUD.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

who the hell would she be talking to. I know some companies claim to have the best coverage but really! even in the past!! considering she wouldn't even be able to use sat phones to make calls, and in doing so who would receive the bloody call!

• Like 1

who the hell would she be talking to. I know some companies claim to have the best coverage but really! even in the past!! considering she wouldn't even be able to use sat phones to make calls, and in doing so who would receive the bloody call!

right.... just goes to show you cell phones were made by aliens

the satellites have been around for years

and this lady is also probably an alien, they had to introduce cell phones later because they couldn't charge as much back then. Land lines were like $4 a month.

aliens AAAAAAAAAAAAAH zey are coming quick run for ze hills, people your mark of the devil 666 is here and we call it the mobile cellphone telephone.

guh please, I am one to theorize about aliens and do believe in their existance, but not for the purposes of inventing the mobile phone. They would have far better things to do than see humans be and act antisocial. They wouldn't even have to leave their ships to do that :|

and to add, most people barely earnt 4 bux a month and further more i'd like to see your evidence on that. Do you have a brochure handy?

Edited by chopmo

I say that all these people we here about randomly disappearing actually just fall through time, so this chick was just on the phone to whoever, fell through time and was just completely oblivious to anything as people tend to be, carried on talking then realised her friend wasn't replying and started smiling all "Right b****, hang up on me? You're in for an ear full later!"

Makes about as much sense as a time traveler, having the technology to travel back in time, would just be randomly wandering past in the background of a movie on a cell phone, when most likely if technology exists to time travel, then better technology will exist for cell phones and they won't be handhelds anymore.

It's fun being imaginative :)

It's a little desperate to use the "old lady talking to herself" card, when she did a classic move that most cell phone users do, that is, stopping, looking in a certain direction and smiling as they speak when they hear good news. Chalking that up to "maybe she was just a crazy grandma?" IS a little bit desperate. If she was doing that back in those times then she would have been considered unstable and put in a mental institution, either that or a shut in, a common thing done to people who did that back in the 20s

..and what Service Provider would have been available then?? What relay Masts?? NONE - what a stupid argument for Cell Phone use 70 yrs ago!!!

Oh..and Yes, this is a very old story covered before on UM

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 1