Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is modern music lacking

The_Spirit_of_Truth

Well just one of the many things I noticed: The modern rock music of today is lacking guitar solos. I haven't heard a good guitar solo in years. My guess is that with modern technology pretty much anyone can play cool sounding rhythm guitar when you play with a drop D tuning and have your daddy buy you some nice amps and processing equipment.

I could go on and on about other reasons but I currently don't have the time to write a novel.

edit: Okay, I will add one more thing that I noticed. A lot of modern Pop music sounds really cool when it's cranked way up on a sound system and the bass is thumping. Take away that volume and it sounds pretty crappy to me.

Go back to the Pop of the 80's and most songs didn't depend on thumpy bass to give them a hook. Roxette and The Eurythmics are a great example of 80's pop culture that sounded great even at a low volume. Even punk music sounded good at a low volume. Those songs had more than just 3 chords per song as well.

One of the bands that I play in is a wedding/party band. People want to hear modern pop at the weddings we play so needless to say I have had to learn these songs. My band can sit down and nail at least 5 new (modern pop) songs down in about 1 hour. Most of the stuff that I'm playing on the keyboard are simple riffs that repeat themselves OVER and OVER and OVER the entire song. The majority of my time spent on new material is programming the right sounds into my synth to make it sound as close to the original.

Edited by BiffSplitkins
  • Like 2

There is a LOT of modern/new music being created.. in all genres ? But as for modern POP.. i would say much of it lacks the power to INSPIRE people. Music should inspire people to tap their feet.. or cry.. or smile.. or march into battle.. whatever it's designed to inspire or has become associated with?

* good music makes you FEEL something emotionally ? It doesn't just vibrate your internal organs with MEGA BASS... or provide background noise for shopping ;)

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

What's modern music lacking? Trumpets. What they need is to bring back a good brass section. Never mind all these thumpy thumpy techno beats,

• Like 4

We never disagree Hasina . . . . until now.

Opinions are formed by the music available and if the quality of music declines to the level of debasing country or demeaning rap, then they are not comparative opinions. How many young people like Broadway or opera? Each generation is conditions to what is current, not what is available.

We never disagree Hasina . . . . until now.

Opinions are formed by the music available and if the quality of music declines to the level of debasing country or demeaning rap, then they are not comparative opinions. How many young people like Broadway or opera? Each generation is conditions to what is current, not what is available.

Just because it doesn't sound good to you (dear me, am I actually defending rap?) but that doesn't make it less then what you like.

It's missing style, real lyrics, real meaning, and everything else that makes up real music.

Real lyrics? Like those darn orchestras...

Just because it doesn't sound good to you (dear me, am I actually defending rap?) but that doesn't make it less then what you like.

Real lyrics? Like those darn orchestras...

Music, my dear, is an art. What you are defending is a sound.

Music, my dear, is an art. What you are defending is a sound.

Is a DaVinci painting art? Is a Picasso painting art? I'd never call Picasso's work 'art' but many do.

Is a DaVinci painting art? Is a Picasso painting art? I'd never call Picasso's work 'art' but many do.

Comparing daVinci to Picasso is like comparing writing to typing

• Like 2

art/ärt/

Noun:

• The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture,...: "the art of the Renaissance"

how you feel about it is your opinion, but when someone creates something that IS art

• Like 1

One thing that today's music is missing is an identifier. For example: the opening harmonics on Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth": 60's song, the repetitive bass disco beat on Chic's "Dance, Dance, Dance": 70's song, synthesizer at the beginning of Cory Hart's "Sunglasses at Night": 80's song, opening guitar riff of Soundgarden's "Outshined": 90's song. From the 2000's on, there really hasn't been much of a way to differentiate a song from then and now...

Also, music is meshing together and fusing so it doesn't sound so absolute as before. One example: Country music. A lot of the modern Country music, you could play it on a top 40 station and no one would blink an eye. Put George Strait, Clint Black, Dwight Yoakum, Tanya Tucker, etc... they'd make a face because it sounds Country...

Does it? Or is it the other way around?

Music has (a direct) influence upon us and we have (an indirect) influence upon music.

We could all listen to the same song and get striking, extremely different meaning and emotion, or lack thereof from it.

And what? It is normal. What you have said is nothing surprising. Every of us is different so he or she gets different feelings when listening to the same melody. How else?

So is the written song influencing us, or is our own inner translation of it?

Both.

Cussing can be used as a good analogy. You could say '@#$% you' to one person and illicit an angry response. Others would get uncomfortable or afraid. Some might laugh. Others will shake your hand. This wide array of emotions, most contrasting others, isn't caused by the word itself or by its intent by the speaker. They were caused by the person's own inner translation. The only person who can get an emotional or conscious/subconscious/unconscious reaction out of yourself is.. yourself. The initial medium can only present itself to you, for you to interpret, either consciously or otherwise.

And what? It is normal. What you have said is nothing surprising. Every of us is different so he or she has a different reaction when listening to such an offense. How else?

So, what is your Spirit telling you the music is about? You have already told us in the OP.

Because I have already told you in the OP, why do you ask?

To you, it is entertainment. For another, it may be release. Science. Art. Political. Philosophical. Love. Happiness. Worship. You name it, and you can tie music and song into it.

It is good to add also Sympahy. Compassion. Wisdom & Soul related thoughts.

Music is almost as old as man. I'd be curious to see if it is even as old as man. I just know it was not entertainment when natives of my country would sing and dance to, and for, their gods.

Music is much older than man.

I find most modern music un-inspiring..

Perhaps that is what is missing, inspiration, uniqueness.

It's remake after remake these days..

• Like 2

Now I am going to ask you something: Do you believe that music has a less positive influence upon our souls, when it does not contain a sufficient amount of songs about the safety of our souls and about the most intensely suffering people? I believe that a very large amount of attention should be paid to those who suffer most of all. But it seems to me that music is little forgetting about them. Or am I wrong?

Please define what "the safety of our souls" means to you and why you feel music should cover "suffering". I have never in my entire life heard anyone request a song about people suffering......unless you want to include some metal music which is done more for a reaction from the listener.....

The essence of this "empty window" in music reminds me the most famous religions, which will give you anything but the truth that is forbidden for you to know. Both music and religions prevent people from any complete spiritual growth. And deliberately.

You're complaining because popular music doesn't focus upon your personal delusions? There's not a single human emotion you can name that isn't reflected in music. There's nothing left out, you're just choosing to ignore anything you don't want to hear. And by declaring certain lyrics 'unsuitable' all you're doing is making a fool of yourself.

Why not voice your complete opinion (as you did in your previous post that was removed)? You actually believe most humans are 'hellish' and you're anxious for their extermination. You genuinely believe 'hellish people' want to eat your soul. Apparently these delusions cloud your judgement in every aspect of your life, even preventing you from enjoying something as pure and human as music. That's pathetic.

Who decides what is suitable or not? You, and your sole interpretation of the words?

There are general criteria (that originate mainly from the spiritual worlds and that somewhat reflect ourselves in our coarse-material world and they create and assign the relationship between melodies and what they are bound with - to what they belong and what they express) and respective criteria (above all, individual human beings - what they are like and what they are to be like) that decide what is suitable or not.

Who died and made you critic of Truth?

Literally taken, no one. Metaphorically taken, perhaps I have got a bit of some inspiration from Beings that are not stupid at all.

When has music ever been like you said Spirit?

Music is eternal. Older than the beginning of our universe.

There is a huge difference between the past and the present. Singing a song around a campfire with your family is completely different then listening to the radio, singing in the shower, in front of an audience in a play. There is more then one context in which music fits. What about background music in movies, tv shows or even video games? Each song in each situation has different criteria required to do its job.

Good points. Lets say, that when we are founding ourselves in circumstances that allow us perceive and consequently experience music the way it was supposed to be experienced by us, only then we experience it corrrectly and truly.

Time changes things but the patterns will always stay the same.

!!! EXCELLENT !!! This is universal rule valid not only for music.

The great works will shine through the ages of time and the not so great will give way in a short time which gives a false sense of what was really going on at that time.

I hope you won't mind when i will make it even more precise: The officially great works and the officially not so great.

I find most modern music un-inspiring..

Perhaps that is what is missing, inspiration, uniqueness.

It's remake after remake these days..

Good point.

Please define what "the safety of our souls" means to you and why you feel music should cover "suffering". I have never in my entire life heard anyone request a song about people suffering......unless you want to include some metal music which is done more for a reaction from the listener.....

Above all, the safety of our soul means 1. Not to be stolen 2. Not to live (or develop itself) in unsuitable conditions like living amidst a lie and under some wrong worldview, experiencing of too much suffering, too much evil or too much good.

Every human soul - while living in man's body - should experience some feelings of sympathy and compassion. And music can help it. Because music addresses our inside, it would be wrong if it was addressing it only by ways that won't cause us to have feelings of the sympathy and compassion.

I like that old time rock and roll, cos modern music ain't got the same soul

• Like 2

You're complaining because popular music doesn't focus upon your personal delusions?

No. It partly does, but not completely. I am complaining out of the reason that I have said several times already in this topic.

There's not a single human emotion you can name that isn't reflected in music. There's nothing left out, you're just choosing to ignore anything you don't want to hear.

Its not that simple. Perhaps these human emotions are somehow reflected in compositions (music without words), but when they are reflected in melodies of songs, these songs usually have unsuitable words that prevent you from the correct experience of the proper melody.

And by declaring certain lyrics 'unsuitable' all you're doing is making a fool of yourself.

No. If I was only declaring them "unsuitable" without saying a reason for it, it would be foolish. But I have said my reasons.

Why not voice your complete opinion (as you did in your previous post that was removed)?

The post was removed and I am now forbidden to talk about "H****** *****e".

You actually believe most humans are 'hellish' and you're anxious for their extermination. You genuinely believe 'hellish people' want to eat your soul. Apparently these delusions cloud your judgement in every aspect of your life, even preventing you from enjoying something as pure and human as music. That's pathetic.

I "only" wanted to exterminate & annihilate their Hellish souls but I cannot speak about it any more.

What prevents me from a full enjoying of something as pure and human as music are the consequences of the actions of my enemies. Not my nature.