Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Experiences with MUFON

Insanity

Was curious if any other users here have had experiences with the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON)? Either as members or reporting sightings to them?

I do find the UFO phenomenon interesting, but feel it is something that deserves study, but in the case of a sighting I had and reported to MUFON, wondered if some of its members are being truly objective.

Perhaps it was single incidence, or the specific researcher had a lack in judgement, who knows.

Anyways, I had a sighting of some bright lights directly ahead of me in the car during some nighttime traveling. The route I was on I have driven many many times, and am fairly familiar with it. I was on my way to visit family, and the area is mostly farmland and definitely not within any city limits.

In short, once I was able to a few days later, I reported my sighting to the MUFON site, and received a response about two days later. The gentleman stated he had witnessed the same lights and had stopped at a church, one that I know the location as its on this route, to film it as he said he knew exactly what it was. He stated they were chinese sky lanterns, and believed they were launched from my approximate location. Learning that I had see the same lights ahead of me, he then believed they must have been launched further ahead of me.

The two challenges I had with his response are 1) his description of the lights did not match mine, 2) the distance from where I saw the lights and where he saw the lights was about 10 miles, and the second location he thought they may have been launched for me to see them was another 10 miles away. I have launched sky lanterns myself and they were difficult to see past 1 mile, let alone 10 to 20 miles.

Also knowing that there is an airforce base less then 80 miles away, and given I had seen military jets the next day once with family, not 20 miles away from where I saw the lights, I speculated that it may be an exercise involving flares being dropped, and proposed this in my initial report, which he never mentioned anything about in his response.

I replied back with the issues I had with his response and never heard back from him.

I do not necessarily believe what I saw was an UFO, but it was something I had never witnessed while driving in the area, and decided to report it.

I did not include the long description of my sighting, or the response I received, but would be willing to do so if others feel it's needed for the discussion.

Was curious if any others have had similar experiences with apparently shoddy research, or if perhaps was a fluke.

• Like 1

I submitted a few UFO sightings in my life time to the MUFON Inland Empire chapter and received replies in half of them, and all the UFO reports I had should be found in their regional sightings data base. I'm unable to locate the chapter on my internet search engines, was gonna show the homepage of MUFON Inland Empire (unless the one part of this organization folded since then), the closest one according to MUFON is Orange County. MUFON must not make enough money to ensure all their chapters remain open.

Edited by Quake Storm Maverick 66er

Which chapter is your area in? The site's UFO cases search is here;

http://www.mufon.com/mufonreports.html

Mine is still in their database after a little over two years.

When I saw a UFO in New Zealand, upon Lost Shamans suggestion I reported it to NARCAP. Ted Roe is a top bloke.

I never saw any point to reporting my sightings. In the end, it's not gonna matter.

Back in the eighties, before the internet, I was very interested in UFO's and applied to MUFON to be one of their field investigators.

Long story short, when my investigations didn't turn out to be spectacular......along with several others, we were all "let go". They only wanted investigations that confirmed or gave the impression that the reported sighting was legit. I don't know what they do now, since a report is given over the web and only the ones that get investigated and posted up are the ones that are pro alien.

Back in the eighties, before the internet, I was very interested in UFO's and applied to MUFON to be one of their field investigators.

Long story short, when my investigations didn't turn out to be spectacular......along with several others, we were all "let go". They only wanted investigations that confirmed or gave the impression that the reported sighting was legit. I don't know what they do now, since a report is given over the web and only the ones that get investigated and posted up are the ones that are pro alien.

Only investigating what would lend support to their predetermined beliefs?