Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

what is death?

Roy Perry

It is simply a change in one's state.

If I, as a Christian, am right, it's an ascension from the physical body, if the Atheists are right then it's simply an end to all physical processes.

Death is when you stop breathing, you're heart stops beating, and the electrical charges in your brain stop firing.

There are more and less rapid means to this end, but the same end it is.

And we will all achieve it at some point.

I'm hopeful that something happens after this. I'm faithful even. I just can't imagine that this depressing plane of existence on Earth is all there is to it. That would really suck.

• Like 3

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/death

death

noun

1. the act of dying; the end of life; the total and permanent cessation of all the vital functions of an organism. Compare brain death.

2. an instance of this: a death in the family; letters published after his death.

3. the state of being dead: to lie still in death.

4. extinction; destruction: It will mean the death of our hopes.

5. manner of dying: a hero's death.

Life, aka the soul or the life force or whatever else you wish to call it, is a form of energy that we do not understand which is held in a materal container ( like water in a cup). Death is the release of that energy ( like pouring out the water in the cup) the container usually remains ( for a time) But the energy that it held is gone. like a cup of water if the container is damaged the contents escape and go elsewhere and even if the cup is Not damaged the water will eventually evaporate leaving the container empty.

Edited by mysticwerewolf

Death is the cessation of your Ka/Ba/Ankh/consciousness/soul/id or whatever. The questions and arguments occur around whether your consciousness continues to exist in some form after your body is dead. I'm not going to stray into that region, but I think it reasonable to say that when your core being has gone, then that is death. Hmm, perhaps as there is brain death and clinical death, perhaps there could be body death and soul death, I don't no.

Near Death Experiences no more give evidence to the after life than Bridey Murphy gave to the evidences of reincarnation.

• Like 1

Death is when all body funtions stop. Then a new life begins

Nobody knows.

Your brain stops functioning, your heart stops beating, and your bodily functions stop to the point where restarting them won't get your brain working again.

Gnostics hate the body and find it all to be an ultimate prison and also an illusion.

I believe in life after death. I barely believe in life here on earth. And I really don't believe in politics.

• Like 2

Life, aka the soul or the life force or whatever else you wish to call it, is a form of energy that we do not understand which is held in a materal container ( like water in a cup). Death is the release of that energy ( like pouring out the water in the cup) the container usually remains ( for a time) But the energy that it held is gone. like a cup of water if the container is damaged the contents escape and go elsewhere and even if the cup is Not damaged the water will eventually evaporate leaving the container empty.

My mom used to say that the body is just the sack the potatos come in. When I was a kid I would roll my eyes when she said it, now that I'm older I hope I'm as wise as she was.

• Like 1

Death and senescence can best be explained as a curse especially when it is not required but it is programmed in our genetics.Ofcourse unless there is an eternal soul just dying to escape the material body,then death wouldn't really be a curse but a type of liberation.

Death is the point of your physical life when your soul(life essence) leaves your body and the Silver Lining breaks. Your soul lives on but your body is no longer alive.

Life with God is joy, peace, love, truth and goodness. Without God there is misery, chaos, anger, lies and evil.

Edited by srp

Life with God is joy, peace, love, truth and goodness. Without God there is misery, chaos, anger, lies and evil.

Firstly, welcome to the forums, SRP!

But I don't believe that there is a God and my life is joyful, peaceful, loving, etc. But there are many devout people that live in third world circumstances (i.e miserable, chaotic, angry, etc.)

But I should get back on topic. For me death isn't just a physical thing. Death can be tragic or welcomed.

Death, for me, isn't just my 'mortal coil' coming to an end. It also involves the circumstances in which I cease to be. We avoid, the best that we can, the tragic circumstance. I hope that when my time is up, I welcome it.

But I don't really care what happens after that.

Edit to add: I shouldn't have said, "I don't believe that there is a God". As an agnostic, I should have said, "I don't have a belief in God."

Edited by Likely Guy

Actually there are two deaths, First death and Second death.

At first death, human is divided into 3 parts that he has been made of: Breath of life (Ruach) returns to God, your soul (Nephesh) goes to sleep, any your physical body stops functioning and starts decomposing.

While asleep, your soul doesn't think or feel anything. Your soul will then be awaken by the trumphet at the return of God, and will await the Judgement. You will have opportunity to rethink your life and see all things you did good or evil. After Judgement, if you are saved, then you will go to heaven, have eternal life and teach other sentient beings about your experiences of sin and life. If you're not saved, your soul will cease to exist in a lake of fire by experiencing second death.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep my version of death nice and easy. When you cannot make any more actual choices and no part of you can change anymore. From nothing to nothing. (Blame zombies :P)

As believer of Waqefataa Death is part of our Uma / nature. As magnetic south pole and north pole in balance , it should be death and life.

" Death is great " -Tiv people in Nigeria

Death is a transformation from one type of existence to another..