Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Phoenix Lights revisited

Bionic Bigfoot

The late Doc Berry said it best—“The Massive UFO Flyover of Arizona, March 13, 1997”; his title best describes what happened that Thursday evening. Moreover, nine years later, I (we) still look for a return visit from our alien friends. I don’t have a problem saying that feared word “alien” at all. “Nothing of this earth” describes what we saw pass in front of us around 8:30 PM that night. Nothing!

To date, as I write this, I am still encountering new witnesses and hearing new stories of that wonderful day; so many reports will never make the Internet, television, radio, or ever be told to the general public. This is so distressing! One goal I had when we moved to the high country of northern Arizona was to find new witnesses and meet many of those who were just too concerned for their jobs, worried about ridicule from friends or family or just not knowing who to contact. There are many more who I feel have yet to tell their story. . . .

http://www.theufochronicles.com/2013/03/the-non-investigation-of-phoenix-lights.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sixteen years after a group of mysterious lights were spotted by thousands throughout the Valley, theories still swirl about what was overhead.

"Most people saw a mile to two-mile wide formation of lights in a V-formation gliding (at) rooftop level," said Dr. Lynne Kitei, who has been studying the phenomenon for years.

"Some people actually saw a craft. Others saw these orbs detach from the main environment," she continued.

The mass sighting happened March 13, 1997, and Kitei says she's surprised there still has not been any definitive answer as to what was in the sky above Phoenix.

http://www.14news.com/story/21620004/phoenix-lights-ufo-theories-still-swirl-16-years-after-sightings

• Like 1

About a month (after a front page June 1997 USA Today article about the sightings), the flare theory emerged," she explained, referring to the explanation that the Phoenix Lights were actually part of a military exercise. Dr. Kitei says this theory began more than five months after the original March 13, 1997 mass sightings.

However, Kitei says she recently received Air Force documents dated May 1, 1997 that state Luke Air Force Base was not involved in any way with the lights over Phoenix.

"I have been searching for a logical explanation meticulously for the last 16 years," said Kitei.

"I don't know what these things are, but I know they are. So it's time we get this topic out in the open. So address it, accept it and study it, she added.

Well I dont know what to think... I find it strange that people alot of them didnt know what an airplane looks like if there ever was an airplane formation. You see if people wouldnt know the difference between airplane and something strange there wouldnt be any fuzz over this event. But obviously they saw something that didnt make any sense..Thus they werent airplanes... they make sense... We would need sattelite images of that day over the town to get better perspective of what we are even discussing..

This is like another 9/11 thread a neverending story..Why? Because US gov./military didnt offer any good and credible explanation... so that makes me think they dont have single clue.. But they cant say it was an alien craft for sure..They would make people panic.. right... they would..people wouldnt give a damn until proven a threat to their routine everyday life..

Edited by Tesla II
  • Like 1

Still interesting link pumper.. 16 years devoted to this... and it comes down to a military document saying the airbase had nothing to do with it... This really fits into unexplained mystery.

Ok, jus so everyone knows - what was witnessed was not flares !! I live outside of Prescott and my father witnessed the ship fly over our house in a fixed V formation . The ship was entirely silent as well. We live 80 miles North of Phoenix . The flares excuse is very redundant if you were someone who saw the UFO

• Like 3

Ok, jus so everyone knows - what was witnessed was not flares !! I live outside of Prescott and my father witnessed the ship fly over our house in a fixed V formation . The ship was entirely silent as well. We live 80 miles North of Phoenix . The flares excuse is very redundant if you were someone who saw the UFO

I think any sensible rational person knows that to be true since the testimonies about the huge craft are very numerous.

Whether Governor Symington's testimomy sighting was legitimate or whether he was trying to realign himself with the locals he had previously alienated is up for debate.

• Like 1

If you live in the area then it should already be known to you that there were two separate incidents and only the later event (10PM over the Barry Goldwater Range) is said to have been flares. It is this confused jumble that mixes the two incidents together that is the last recourse of the believers. Most of them aren't even familiar with the sequence of events to begin with and couldn't be bothered to try and find out. That is where the 'V' formation and flares confusion comes from.

Edited by Slave2Fate
  • Like 2

Still interesting link pumper.. 16 years devoted to this... and it comes down to a military document saying the airbase had nothing to do with it... This really fits into unexplained mystery.

Is Dr. Lynne Kitei actually a doctor? Online it seems rather hard to determine, only brief statements concerning her career appear online yet not a thing about where she studied or the like. The biggest achievement seems to be TV medecine? Her Linkedin profile has some rather embarrassing typos in it too, check this out for a hearty chuckle:

Owner & CEO

Health Education Learning Programs

1985 – Present (28 years)

Internationally award winning prevention/education curricula dedicated to raising awareness of the reality of vital health issues for youth and adults. Just Say KNOW to AIDS, Just Say KNOW To Drugs, Teen Pregnancy... Children Having Children and Drugs Don't Make IT! are currently being distributed by Discovery Education.

LINK

LOL, Just say KNOW!

And there are definitive answers, some simply refuse to acknowledge that they exist.

S2F beat me to it, I was going to ask what event.

This is the problem with the Phoenix Blight. People make some half baked statement that means nothing, and those desperate will see it as a reason to keep believing. I appreciate that you believe your Dad, that's nice to have such a strong relationship, but that's about all I find convincing here.

I think any sensible rational person knows that to be true since the testimonies about the huge craft are very numerous.

And the testimonies conflict, so out the window goes that made up credibility. But I agree, any sensible person does know how to apply triangulation, and read the right logs.

Whether Governor Symington's testimomy sighting was legitimate or whether he was trying to realign himself with the locals he had previously alienated is up for debate.

Yes, the Government is not to be trusted unless they agree with woo woo, then they are to be trusted. Some logic you are using there.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

LOL, Just say KNOW!

Apparently these are the actual titles. Oy, so clever!

• Like 1

Apparently these are the actual titles. Oy, so clever!

Just like some stupid hippy to mix up crap and make it even more confusing. She really is a card isn't she. The UFO phenomena seems to draw people like this like moths to a light. Funny thing is some people hold her nonsense up because of her Dr title. Dr Lier is a Podiatrist. and plays the same card to fleece the credulous.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

UFOs over Arizona: Film event planned for ‘Phoenix lights’ anniversary

In the 1977 movie “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” the character of French researcher Claude Lacombe (based on Jacques Vallee), played by director and actor Francois Truffaut, tries to explain to a U.S. Army Special Forces officer why several civilians were brought to the secret temporary base at Devils Tower, Wyoming.

Lacombe says to the officer, “Major Walsh, it is an event sociologique." That is, it is a “sociological event” and the civilians are somehow part of it, Lacombe tells Walsh.

The same can be said about the situation in the mid-evening hours of March 13, 1997, in the Phoenix, Arizona, region. It also was, and is now, an “event sociologique.”

http://tvtranscend.blogspot.com/2014/03/ufos-over-arizona-film-event-planned.html

years from now... There may be this announcement: The so-called Phoenix Lights were actually a test of TOP SECRET illumination technology (a new type of flare). At the time, this couldn't be revealed, because it was TOP SECRET. ALL reports, photos, film, etc. of so-called UFO's are either clouds, birds, high-flying insects, weather-balloons, reflections, temperature inversions, swamp-gas, hallucinations, or mistaken identifications of the planet Venus. Officially.

Will somebody turn off the Black Light ITs drawing in all the UFO `s ! :tu:

• Like 1

years from now... There may be this announcement: The so-called Phoenix Lights were actually a test of TOP SECRET illumination technology (a new type of flare). At the time, this couldn't be revealed, because it was TOP SECRET. ALL reports, photos, film, etc. of so-called UFO's are either clouds, birds, high-flying insects, weather-balloons, reflections, temperature inversions, swamp-gas, hallucinations, or mistaken identifications of the planet Venus. Officially.

It really bothers you that the mundane actually does explain that which you have personally attributed the fantastic to doesn't it.

You do not come of as valiant you know...... rather different to that. You make the worst posts. All they do is complain that "people don't believe you" and whine a lot. Do you ever bring anything to a conversation, or is that "not your thing"?

Not sure why you try to attack thinking processes, if thinking is not your bag you should not be upset with others for doing it. There are plenty of woo sites where you can pat each other on the back and pretend you have the secret to this mystery, why bother coming here where intelligent people offer sound possible solutions to conundrums? What do you get out of being the sooky kid crying on the corner?

• Like 2

On Friday night March 7, 2014, with great anticipation, my wife and I watched a new program, entitled, Close Encounters, yet another series (amongst many gracing the airwaves lately) delving into the UFO subject matter. The show is produced by a relatively new company out of Canada, called Newroad Media; they herald the production as “each episode . . . reveals the most intriguing and convincing UFO stories on the planet.” The show premiered in Canada a few months ago on Discovery Canada and here in the U.S. via the Science Channel on the 4th (March 2014).

Although intrigued by the UFO topic in general, as regular readers know, being eyewitnesses to what has (erroneously) become known as “The Phoenix Lights,” we were most eager to take in the segment, Arizona Objects dedicated to those events in this second episode. Being aware that my good friend Larry Lowe had traveled to Canada to meet with the producers and consult on and in part, narrate said segment, only augmented our enthusiasm.

http://www.theufochronicles.com/2014/03/close-encounters-arizona-objects-review.html

Mainstream Media, Misinformation & The Infamous Flare Videos | 17th Anniversary of The Phoenix Lights

Editor's Note:
March 13th, 1997 marked the 17th anniversary of what has been erroneously labeled, “The Phoenix Lights.” The misleading title pales in comparison to the ongoing misinformation and subterfuge being doled out by the mainstream media to this day.

Beginning the next day (March 14, 1997) local news stations aired interviews with UFO witnesses of the eight o’clock hour, all the while interlacing the flare-drop videos during the respective segments. Given that the story had just broke and information was pouring in, the obfuscation
then
was understandable; however, post-investigation(s), which included scientific analysis (on more then one occasion), along with an official admission from Capt. Drew Sullins, of the Maryland Air National Guard (MANG) and some of his crew who participated in the flare-drop, to continue to publish this erroneous information (as seen below) is simply beyond contempt and egregious example of sloppy journalism–
FW

PHOENIX (CBS5) - It is the most famous so-called UFO sighting in the world. "The Phoenix Lights" captured the world's attention 17 years ago on March 13, 1997.

Every year new witnesses come forward to tell the story they kept to themselves all those years. One man who still wants to remain anonymous told CBS 5 News he was working on his roof air conditioner around 8 p.m. that evening when he saw it. He said he never told anyone outside his family until this year. . . .

My name is Scott Petrie and I was not just a witness of the "Phoenix Lights" event, but was "hooted out" (for lack of a better phrase) by THEM twice. The first time was the night of the "mass sighting" on March 13th 1997.

I was born here in Arizona (Mesa), as was my father. My great-grandfather was Mesa's first Sheriff/Fire Chief/Mortician; I'm now 53 years old, having lived in Tempe (which is sandwiched between Mesa and Phoenix) for the past 30 years. I've been working for SRP for over 25 years now, which is the supplier of water and electricity here in the Phoenix metro area; I went to bible collage up in Colorado and got a degree in biblical studies after high school and went to work for Campus Crusade for Christ International.

I was assigned to work with Illusionist "Andre Kole" who also lived here in Tempe. Andre has traveled the world with his full stage productions since the mid 60's and still does to this day. He is one of the most credible debunkers in the world today and his 2-hour long stage performances show the audience how easy it is to fool even the smartest people.

http://www.theufochronicles.com/2014/03/phoenix-lights-witness-goes-public-17th.html

The late Doc Berry said it best—“The Massive UFO Flyover of Arizona, March 13, 1997”; his title best describes what happened that Thursday evening. Moreover, nine years later, I (we) still look for a return visit from our alien friends. I don’t have a problem saying that feared word “alien” at all. “Nothing of this earth” describes what we saw pass in front of us around 8:30 PM that night. Nothing!

To date, as I write this, I am still encountering new witnesses and hearing new stories of that wonderful day; so many reports will never make the Internet, television, radio, or ever be told to the general public. This is so distressing! One goal I had when we moved to the high country of northern Arizona was to find new witnesses and meet many of those who were just too concerned for their jobs, worried about ridicule from friends or family or just not knowing who to contact. There are many more who I feel have yet to tell their story. . . .

http://www.theufochr...nix-lights.html

I believe it has since been established that a company in Texas was working on prototype lighter-than-air recon platform that matches the shape of the object spotted in AZ and some time later in Illinois. At high altitudes it was nearly invisible but it would fly at lower altitudes at night during test flights.

I was standing outside of an apartment complex with a friend of mine waiting for his roommate to come home. The apartment complex was located near 48th St. and Baseline Rd. in a suburb of Phoenix called Ahwatukee and it was between the time of 9:30-10:30 pm.

We were standing outside just chit-chatting, when we started noticing what looked like something very large in the northern sky heading towards us still off in the distance. We didn't see a craft at first, only a formation of lights. We kept talking but at the same time keeping a close eye on this object that was heading nearer to us. I was only 19 years old at the time so I had very limited knowledge of UFO's or secret military planes for that matter, and it really didn't occur to me right away that this is what it could be.

As we talked and watched it get nearer, we could start to see just how massive this craft really was. We stopped all talking about other subjects, and our entire focus became locked in to this approaching object. The craft was moving completely silently, and due to it's size we remarked how weird it was we couldn't hear anything even though it was still some distance away. As it came even closer, we could start seeing how the sky was darkened out between these lights as well. It was definitely a solid object and not some other type of flying formation.

http://www.theufochronicles.com/2014/03/gigantic-silent-craft-flew-effortlessly.html

Right, the recon platform I mentioned had some prototypes and one was in excess of 400 feet across. The company founder said the goal was to build one nearly a mile across. The prototypes were V shaped and were tested many times in the southwest and neighboring areas.

• Like 2