Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US scientists aim to make human sperm

Render

US researchers say they will redouble their efforts to create human sperm from stem cells following the success of a Japanese study involving mice.

A Kyoto University team used mice stem cells to create eggs, which were fertilised to produce baby mice.

Dr Renee Pera, of Stanford University in California, aims to create human sperm to use for reproduction within two years, and eggs within five years.

Infertility affects up to 15% of reproductive-aged couples worldwide.

"I know people think it's Frankenstein medicine, but I think it's not an imagined or lessened health problem - infertility affects your whole life," Dr Pera says.

"To have sex and have a baby would be a super simple decision, but not everybody can do it."

But using embryonic stem cells for research - as Dr Pera's lab at the Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine does - is controversial because the embryos are destroyed in order to use them.

Dr Pera's lab uses embryos left over from IVF treatments.

Laboratory generation?

Stem cells have the potential to grow into any cell in the body. Creating eggs in a lab could become mainstream, much like IVF is viewed today.

Pregnancy age limits

If successful, the technology could significantly wind back the time on a woman's biological clock.

That is great news for many women who have put off having babies to pursue careers and for women who cannot get pregnant due to cancer treatments.

But it raises a slew of new ethical issues: who would decide when a woman is too old to become pregnant?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19879113

I don't want to sound at all heartless, but perhaps infertility is a natural means of regulating population growth, and these Scientists are perhaps reinforcing the pressure that Society puts on people, because Society insists that one is only fulfilled as a person if one contributes to the growth of population. So the blackmail will be even stronger: "there's no excuse now for not contributing to population growth".

• Like 1

Yea, what's the point of this? I make MILLIONS of sperms every day. Shouldn't these people be focusing on curing more serious problems, like cancer?

Yea, what's the point of this? I make MILLIONS of sperms every day. Shouldn't these people be focusing on curing more serious problems, like cancer?

There is already many scientists working to cure types of cancer. These scientists might not even work in the cancer field, they're not going to research something they're not that familiar with.

Plus i'm sure the couples trying to have children wouldn't think it's pointless.

I don't want to sound at all heartless, but perhaps infertility is a natural means of regulating population growth, and these Scientists are perhaps reinforcing the pressure that Society puts on people, because Society insists that one is only fulfilled as a person if one contributes to the growth of population. So the blackmail will be even stronger: "there's no excuse now for not contributing to population growth".

In some cases ,its a karmic issue.

People who have done bad things to children,in past lives ,are not allowed to have children ,in the present one .

Usually ,there are other aspects to this karma.

Like a neo natal nurse ,constantly trying to save babies ,and cannot have her own either .

With free will,there is of course always adoption ,but that too is a long painful process ,in some cases.

n some cases ,its a karmic issue.

People who have done bad things to children,in past lives ,are not allowed to have children ,in the present one .

I'm going to break a forum rule and tell you to go play in traffic for that ignorant and insensitive remark.

• Like 2

You know what else helps contribute to population control? Any disease and genetic disorder. I think we should get rid of the field of medicine and let nature take it's course. Who's with me? -sarcasm-

• Like 3

Synthetic human sperm to make babies without fathers...is something currently associated with science fiction elements and furthermore, men are less needed to assist in procreation (just the sperm itself). Reproductive science doesn't have barriers left, like nothing is sacred anymore in the role of men in getting women pregnant resulting in a human baby brought into the world. If one is inable to have children wants to have a baby, they have the right to and revolutionary science made this possible. They also can use alternative services like adoption, if it wasn't for pathetic "red tape" regulations to made it difficult to carry home an unwanted child to a home where the child is wanted, loved and taken care of.

Like a neo natal nurse ,constantly trying to save babies ,and cannot have her own either .

With free will,there is of course always adoption ,but that too is a long painful process ,in some cases.

Hilarious.

I don't know why you felt the need to mention this, especially in the science section. But thanks for the laugh.

Synthetic human sperm to make babies without fathers...is something currently associated with science fiction elements and furthermore, men are less needed to assist in procreation (just the sperm itself). Reproductive science doesn't have barriers left, like nothing is sacred anymore in the role of men in getting women pregnant resulting in a human baby brought into the world. If one is inable to have children wants to have a baby, they have the right to and revolutionary science made this possible. They also can use alternative services like adoption, if it wasn't for pathetic "red tape" regulations to made it difficult to carry home an unwanted child to a home where the child is wanted, loved and taken care of.

Is anyone stopping adoption?

Sounds like people want it both ways, the benefits of science while dictating to others what their choices should be when it comes to said benefits.

Edited by Rlyeh

Nature is not a sentient overseeing thing. The earth does not know how many ppl are walking on it. That's the people their projection of emotions of fear onto a non-conscious thing/word.

Therefore there is no self-regulation/purging of the earth, it does not go out to kill because it feels like there are too many people.

Scientists are not reinforcing anything, science just provides science. That is all. It is societies job to use it and regulate it in the right way. Science did not create "procreation".

The whole basis for progress is that people are not willing to settle with what they get/have.

Is it your belief that someone who loses his legs was natures way of telling there are already too many walkers out there? So he should not bother getting prosthetics, because nature said so.

People will not accept limits, that is a good thing. Otherwise we'd all still be living in caves or better yet be extinct.

Edited by Render

Perhaps you should think a little more carefully before posting in the science section about an emotive and delicate topic.

Wonderful! now people need not to worry about it but what happened if a big monster developed from such an egg and a sperm developed from a human stem cell ?

Why would a monster develop from a human egg and sperm? When was the last time it happened?
Completely irrelevant.

I'm going to break a forum rule and tell you to go play in traffic for that ignorant and insensitive remark.

It's interesting how 747400 ,says something similiar ,and no one says a word to him.

Too bad,so sad. Lots of people are NOT meant to do a lot of things this life time,because of things they've done in a past life.

I've actually seen this with my own eyes .y ex ambulance partner and his wife.

Not my problem ,if some people should not have kids .,because they abused or murdered them before.

Think Jerry Sandusky .Yeah ,that kind of karma ,some even worse . So may everything you wished one me,do its karmic thing to you .

*skips away*

It's interesting how 747400 ,says something similiar ,and no one says a word to him.

Too bad,so sad. Lots of people are NOT meant to do a lot of things this life time,because of things they've done in a past life.

Not my problem ,if some people should not have kids .,because they abused or murdered them before.

Think Jerry Sandusky .Yeah ,that kind of karma ,some even worse . So may everything you wished one me,do its karmic thing to you .

*skips away*

Well, then you wont mind me calling you a complete wackjob.

Because in a previous life you abused mental patients. That's karma for ya.

• Like 1

Sorry, where did he say anything about abusing children?

Wait, you've seen your ambulance partner and his wife abusing children in a previous life? Nutjob.

This is a comedian's wet dream.

If it helps people to have children why not. I'd rather see people who can't have kids naturally but would still be good parents get them then people who knock out 8 or 9 just to get a bigger state aid paycheck every month. Might just make the world a better place.... or a really bad sci-fi movie.

*skips away*

No the two comments are worlds apart. As someone struggling to conceive I was in fact not offended by 747's comments. He made a suggestion that not everyone will agree with but he did so with maturity. I disagree slightly for the same reasons as Hasina but I am not offended. It is no more interfering with nature than many other medical procedures. On balance we probably stop more pregnancies through pills and a few snips etc than we create. 747 also wasn't suggesting those who don't have kids naturally were bad in some way. He even pointed out the issues in society where a degree of pressure is applied to those without children. Overall it was entirely sensitive to the readers here no matter what their circumstances.

Your suggestion that in a former life I abused children on the other hand is a totally inappropriate thing to bring into a scientific thread. It is rude, offensive and based on wooo wooo.