Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged]Afterlife exists says top brain surgeon

Zeta Reticulum

Do you have a comprehensive run down of these experiences showing that they do indeed match? And I don't mean vagaries like "a bright light".

"Common Aspects Analysis

What I submitted for review is the following, taken from over twenty years of study and with a research base in excess of 3,200 NDErs:

I.  Context of experience: either A or B must be met:

A.  Symptoms or signs suggesting serious medical illness or injury, or physiological crisis/accident of some kind; or,

B.  NDEr's expectation or sense of imminent death.

II.

Content of experience: an intense awareness, sense, or experience of "otherworldiness" - whether pleasant or unpleasant, strange or ecstatic. Episode can be brief and consist of only one or two elements, or can be more involved, even lengthy, and consist of multiple elements. Elements commonly experienced are:

A.  Visualizing or experiencing being apart from the physical body, perhaps with the ability to change locations.

B.  Greatly enhanced cognition (thoughts very clear, rapid, and hyper-lucid).

C.  A darkness or light that is perceived as alive and intelligent and powerful.

D.  Sensation of movement and/or a sense of presence (hyperalert faculties).

E.  Sudden overwhelming floods of emotion or feelings.

F.  Encounter with an identified deceased person or animal, or an encounter with an apparently nonphysical entity.

G.  Life review (like a movie or in segments, or a reliving).

H.  Information can be imparted, perhaps dialogue.

III. Typical to the experience:

A.  Near-death states can occur to anyone at any age, including newborns and infants, and remain vivid and coherent lifelong (unless societal or family pressure weakens memory clusters - repression more common with child NDErs than with teenagers or adults).

B.  Children's episodes are usually brief and encompass few elements. The closer the child is to puberty, the greater the possibility of longer, more complicated scenarios.

C.  The pattern of psychological and physiological aftereffects seems more dependent on the intensity of the experience, than on any particular imagery or length of exposure to darkness or light.

D.  Attitudes and feelings significant others display after the NDEr revives directly influence how readily he or she can integrate the experience. Episode content is secondary to that initial climate of interest or disinterest."

http://near-death.com/experiences/evidence06.html

It's probably not because having a NDE that the doctor changed his mind, but it' because of the content of NDE itself. For example, what's the point of floating above your body, looking at your own body in bed. Why many NDEers share that same event only when they have NDE, why it's not happening when you are simply dreaming.

While there is no actual proof to link the NDE and the after life, those who had a real NDE will tell that it's not just a simple dream/hallucination made by the brain. Those who never experience will keep hanging on their limited knowledge that they entitled it "rational" and "logic"

It's probably not because having a NDE that the doctor changed his mind, but it' because of the content of NDE itself. For example, what's the point of floating above your body, looking at your own body in bed. Why many NDEers share that same event only when they have NDE, why it's not happening when you are simply dreaming.

While there is no actual proof to link the NDE and the after life, those who had a real NDE will tell that it's not just a simple dream/hallucination made by the brain. Those who never experience will keep hanging on their limited knowledge that they entitled it "rational" and "logic"

You are right of course. Why floating above your body? Why not pink elephants on parade? Why not spaghetti gods? Why not driving you car? Why not a million other scenarios like when you are dreaming?

• Like 1

They have been trying to create some connection between NDEs and reality for decades. A little less than two years ago I was sitting in my car with three bullets in me. I could see the car seat filling with my blood. In the unconscious moments, I suppose I could have embraced the teachings of my youth and imagined my soul in vigilance over my body or the River Jordan and loved ones waiting, or a thousand other scenarios. But it didn't happen. And if it had, it would have meant only that I saw things while unconscious. Nothing more.

To relate the experience to an "evidence" of an afterlife is far less valid than the Bridey Murphy case that was claimed to give proof to reincarnation. At least she spoke a dialect and her existence was proven. Comatose images cannot be linked to anything other than comatose images.

They have been trying to create some connection between NDEs and reality for decades. A little less than two years ago I was sitting in my car with three bullets in me. I could see the car seat filling with my blood. In the unconscious moments, I suppose I could have embraced the teachings of my youth and imagined my soul in vigilance over my body or the River Jordan and loved ones waiting, or a thousand other scenarios. But it didn't happen. And if it had, it would have meant only that I saw things while unconscious. Nothing more.

To relate the experience to an "evidence" of an afterlife is far less valid than the Bridey Murphy case that was claimed to give proof to reincarnation. At least she spoke a dialect and her existence was proven. Comatose images cannot be linked to anything other than comatose images.

Unless you wake up and describe to the doctor what was happening and even the tools he was using.

What registrations enter the mind during a surgery are unknown. Even an OBE can be a possibility but that in no way gives evidence to life after death.

What registrations enter the mind during a surgery are unknown. Even an OBE can be a possibility but that in no way gives evidence to life after death.

Possibly.... But If Somone is haveing perceptions outside of their bodies and describing events and sites when their faces are covered--- see the pam Reynolds case... I think it would lean that way. But you are right, no one has really died and come back at least not in totality only variouse definitions of being dead that is an ever marching line these days

Edited by Seeker79

Riiiiiigggghhhhhhttttttt. Do you realize what you are saying? There could be zero evolutionary pressure to create such a common hallucination for humans.... Why? Because you are dieing!!! 200,000 years go there was no Difibulator!!! :)

Why would a fairly random process ( evolution) make it more comfortable for you to die, but excruciating to give birth? It dosnt make any sense at all.

Imo, the above comes at this from the erroneous angle that nature and natural selection (though definitely not random) are intelligent processes.

Such a process wouldn't have to result from evolutionary pressure on what happens at the moments before death. It could be associated with, or be a side effect of, some other feature that has undergone evolutionary pressure in the past. Just as schizophrenia, which in some instances might be interpreted as contact with a "spirit world", is thought to be a rare side effect of evolutionary pressure that led to symbolic thinking and greater language capacities in humans, NDE experiences may be side effects of some other trait.

Edited by Cybele

Consciousness after death simply is not possible.

Looks like you have the absolute answer, show me the empirical proof then?

[media=]

[/media]

(I know that the video doesn't completely relate, but it is to show that it isn't because we don't have proof of the possibility or improbability of something that it is impossible.)

Edited by Bildr
  • Like 1

Heaven and hell can not be proved or disproved. People who FULLY die will never come back to life and say that they saw/did not see heaven/hell. The scientist can not prove it, he needs physical evidence (seeing is not physical evidence). Besides, ask yourself this 'Would God show someone heaven if they were going to wake up again?'. Surely he wouldn't. Either the scientist's brain was still working and therefore he dreamt everything, or he is just another lier. I have no more to say in the matter.

Even if...we would want a ''physical', scientifical proof about all of this, how could we find physical/scientifical proofs when some of the brightest mind affirm that we only know what's driving 4% of the universe? Only one thing is sure, is that we know so little about our universe.

(I know that the video doesn't completely relate, but it is to show that it isn't because we don't have proof of the possibility or improbability of something that it is impossible.)

Well, let me just say that I invest belief into it just as much as I do faeries and unicorns.

580180_414621148593142_967420018_n.jpg

AB you stated that consciousness after death was impossible. Then post images such as these. You give the impression of someone who is very antagonistic toward faith in general. Simply having a need for proof doesn't seem to account for the level of rhetoric on your part - imo. Does religion make you angry for a reason you'd like to share?

AB you stated that consciousness after death was impossible. Then post images such as these. You give the impression of someone who is very antagonistic toward faith in general. Simply having a need for proof doesn't seem to account for the level of rhetoric on your part - imo. Does religion make you angry for a reason you'd like to share?

I just believe that it is a deadly virus, and should be eradicated completely.

You would have to define what consciousness really is I mean if it's only chemical or electrical impulses... well couldn't that be replicated outside of the body?

Don't get me wrong I do believe the good doctor just tripped out but I'm not convinced that something couldn't happen after death until we know for sure how the brain works and can mimic it. Heaven and hell highly unlikely but something afterwards could very well be a possibility.

I just believe that it is a deadly virus, and should be eradicated completely.

Wow? Eradicated? Really?

No I'm not. Not sure why you thought I was saying that.

Well, then how is the brain damage/malfunction explained when experiencing the "spiritual world"?

Either brain damage causes a spiritual experience

or the spiritual experience is causing the brain damage

You insist that spiritual experiences "just happen". So then why is there brain damage measured??

Anyway:

Peace of Mind: Near-Death Experiences Now Found to Have Scientific Explanations

Seeing your life pass before you and the light at the end of the tunnel, can be explained by new research on abnormal functioning of dopamine and oxygen flow

Near-death experiences are often thought of as mystical phenomena, but research is now revealing scientific explanations for virtually all of their common features. The details of what happens in near-death experiences are now known widely—a sense of being dead, a feeling that one's "soul" has left the body, a voyage toward a bright light, and a departure to another reality where love and bliss are all-encompassing.

http://www.scientifi...mind-near-death

Edited by Render

Even if...we would want a ''physical', scientifical proof about all of this, how could we find physical/scientifical proofs when some of the brightest mind affirm that we only know what's driving 4% of the universe? Only one thing is sure, is that we know so little about our universe.

We don't know everything, therefore pixies live in my garden.

Uuuuuuuu. Mabey because some people are hurt? Are you suggesting the experience is damageing, but not the fact of being... You know.. Near death?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/10/07/proof-of-heaven-a-doctor-s-experience-with-the-afterlife.html

As a neurosurgeon, I did not believe in the phenomenon of near-death experiences. I grew up in a scientific world, the son of a neurosurgeon. I followed my father’s path and became an academic neurosurgeon, teaching at Harvard Medical School and other universities. I understand what happens to the brain when people are near death, and I had always believed there were good scientific explanations for the heavenly out-of-body journeys described by those who narrowly escaped death.

There is no scientific explanation for the fact that while my body lay in coma, my mind—my conscious, inner self—was alive and well. While the neurons of my cortex were stunned to complete inactivity by the bacteria that had attacked them, my brain-free consciousness journeyed to another, larger dimension of the universe: a dimension I’d never dreamed existed and which the old, pre-coma me would have been more than happy to explain was a simple impossibility.

http://www.thedailyb...-afterlife.html

As a neurosurgeon, I did not believe in the phenomenon of near-death experiences. I grew up in a scientific world, the son of a neurosurgeon. I followed my father’s path and became an academic neurosurgeon, teaching at Harvard Medical School and other universities. I understand what happens to the brain when people are near death, and I had always believed there were good scientific explanations for the heavenly out-of-body journeys described by those who narrowly escaped death.

There is no scientific explanation for the fact that while my body lay in coma, my mind—my conscious, inner self—was alive and well. While the neurons of my cortex were stunned to complete inactivity by the bacteria that had attacked them, my brain-free consciousness journeyed to another, larger dimension of the universe: a dimension I’d never dreamed existed and which the old, pre-coma me would have been more than happy to explain was a simple impossibility.

I am glad you posted this quote because I think it gets to the heart of the matter. He is not thinking like a scientist at all, he is forming his opinion through a logical fallacy. Have you ever fallen asleep for just a few minutes and had a seemingly long and vivid dream? It is very possible that all this happened either while his mind was going into the coma or coming out of it. It does not take any more time than that and there lies the problem with the doctor's assumption.

• Like 1

Uuuuuuuu. Mabey because some people are hurt? Are you suggesting the experience is damageing, but not the fact of being... You know.. Near death?

You're having trouble understanding me.

I am concluding that you are suggesting a spiritual experience causes braindamage, because the damage is there and it happens to be the part of the brain which is responsible for the sense of the body in space. What a coincidence eh. So why is there a correlation between the brain damage and the "spiritual experience"? Either the damage causes the experience OR the experience causes the damage. You seem to be advocating the latter.

And even more of a coincidence: When scientists influence the temperal lobe (the same part that is reported as malfunctioning/damaged when experiencing an OBE or afterlife trip) with a magnet, ppl suddenly get the feeling they have the exact same experience. Why would that be?

Because the experience in itself is an illusion, that is why.

I think you thought I was saying something I wasn't. Do you have a source for such a procedure?

Under that logic, if a scientist influenced your brain to make your foot feel hot, does that mean that heat is an illusion?

What if Somone pumps you full of LSD in a room with music about cookies, and all you can do is see cookies. The existence of cookies are now in question right?

If your leg is cut off, but your brain still thinks its there, we now question the existence of leggs because it would apear they are just mental constructs. Right?

As I have already pointed out to you, it is fallacious to corolate an artificial stimulation of an experience to the reality behind the natural stimulation of it. Quit obviously for us to retain an experience we must have the capacity to experience it. Stimulating this capacity then saying the experience is an illusion flys in the face of common sense.