Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

More rights for homeowners against intruders

TheLastLazyGun

British homeowners are to be given more rights against intruders.

At the moment, homeowners are only allowed to use "proportionate" force against scum who enter their homes, but new Justice Secretary Chris Grayling is to raise the bar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-19879314

This is not a good idea....when you're being robbed and are in that emotionally charged situation people can go overboard, not be in control of their actions. Robbery is wrong but no one deserves to get seriously injured or killed.

This is not a good idea....when you're being robbed and are in that emotionally charged situation people can go overboard, not be in control of their actions. Robbery is wrong but no one deserves to get seriously injured or killed.

I take it you have never been robbed or violated by a criminal have you? You almost make it sound like criminals in England are classy chaps that should not be interrupted while robbing you.

• Like 5

I think it depends, on the other hand of what I think you're saying here, people have died at the hands of others who decided to invade their homes. There's no simple, clear-cut solution to a problem like this, but if Secretary Grayling is pressing legislation to help avoid prosecuting people who acted with honest intentions of self defense, I'm for that.

• Like 3

I take it you have never been robbed or violated by a criminal have you? You almost make it sound like criminals in England are classy chaps that should not be interrupted while robbing you.

I was with a friend in her home out of state one summer and she was out for one evening so it was just me, and I saw someone in the dark coming onto the property which was weird, because we were very set off from the nearest neighbors or any real roads. I had no idea who the person was and he wouldn't explain his business, and when I told him to stop he kept moving towards me and the house, so I fired a few shots into the dirt around his feet and he took off running in the other direction. If someone's broken in to your house, you can't stand there hoping for the best, or choosing that time of all the others to give another human being the benefit of the doubt. I'm sorry, but the half second you hesitate could be all an intruder needs to go ahead and cause you harm, or worse. Try asking yourself, between you and an unidentified person in your home, who's in the wrong and who has a right to assume the other has ill-intentions?

• Like 3

Try asking yourself, between you and an unidentified person in your home, who's in the wrong and who has a right to assume the other has ill-intentions?

Nicely said.

• Like 3

The question remains: What is that person doing in you house? Obviously, it can only be with bad intentions. Your home is normally the only place where you can be safe and hide away from the world. Where I live, if someone is in your house you shoot first en then ask questions. Its' either shoot or be shot. I do not see a reason that a homeowner cannot take force to protect what is his. I am definitely not in favor of violence and killing but when it is to project yourself and your family, then my opinion is to do whatever it takes to keep yourself safe.

• Like 3

That's not what I was implying, why don't you read it again? I'm entitled to my opinion.

I'd shoot anyone who breaks into my home, aim for center mass, or if I'm fortunate and steady enough, the head. Break into my home, I feel threatened, I don't know what you'll do, so I'm gonna get rid of you.

• Like 4

In the UK we don't have guns, so how are we supposed to confront the invaders? I reckon we'd come off worse as they would probably 'come equipped'.

In the UK we don't have guns, so how are we supposed to confront the invaders? I reckon we'd come off worse as they would probably 'come equipped'.

That's always seemed to be the problem with countries that don't allow law abiding citizens to purchase guns. If the criminals have 'access' to them, why not the general public? Heck, even the police don't have firearms. I understand that many people assume that gun violence would go up if they were legal and they may be right, but I'd rather even the odds then be caught in my underroos with just a baseball bat.

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 1

That's always seemed to be the problem with countries that don't allow law abiding citizens to purchase guns. If the criminals have 'access' to them, why not the general public? Heck, even the police don't have firearms. I understand that many people assume that gun violence would go up if they were legal and they may be right, but I'd rather even the odds then be caught in my underroos with just a baseball bat.

I would own a gun if I was legally allowed to, but the thought of getting 'caught up in the moment' and using it to kill someone abhors me - and that's why I think we have to be very careful. Killing or seriously injuring someone will have lasting effect on us, the victim, and not a good one.

I'd rather run out of the house with my loved ones and let them take what they want. I've been in a home when I was a child while someone broke in, it was terrifying. I ran out of the house and got a neighbour to call the police. The guy who broke in was my alcoholic step father :rolleyes:

• Like 1

This seems like a step in the right direction, well reinforcing what is already in place.

Talking about guns though, that sounds like a step in the wrong direction. This is about legislation in a country where guns are not commonplace...

Anyone caught breaking into my home would have to have a very good excuse to get out alive,and I dont own a firearm.

• Like 2

we have alway had the right to protect ourselves using resonable force and very few people in the uk have ever been prosecuted for filling in an intruder.

this is just another sound bite to idiots of our society so they think the tories are cool.

i have been burgled twice and caught them both times .once by some tenenage tosser who i hurt quite a bit the other time was by an 8 year old who saw my window was open and wanted a playstation cos his mum couldnt afford one .

maybe i should have battered or even better shot him damn those kids who are so poor they have envy just shoot emm .

There's other weapons besides guns. I have large knives, a hammer, metal baseball bat, and a small hatchet. And a little something extra. :devil:

I'm not going down without a fight!

• Like 2

Wish everyone had concealed carry .. Here in the US you shoot first ask questions later .. Just don't shoot em in the back .. You'll be up under the jail

I live in the UK, pretty much everyone I know keeps a length of wood, metal bar, blade or somesuch weapon concealed near their bed/within reach in case of an intruder. If I woke up in the night and heard noises downstairs, Ill grab a weapon, and head downstairs.

Most burglars dont come armed, they are oppurtunists, if somone broke into my home and i feared for my and my familes life, Id have no qualms about defending myself.

• Like 3

Most burglars dont come armed,

Do most burglars come armed in the US, Hasina?

Being able to defend yourself legally is not a good idea? So you think perhaps you should be legally oblidged not to defend yourself?

The fact is that person shouldn't be in your home, and if they wasn't they would be at risk of getting hurt. They are the ones breaking the law. And what if the intruder isn't a burglar? What if they they're a rapist? You need the right to be able to defend yourself, other people, and your home.

I think in general most people would do what they would do regardless of the law, and in that respect I don't think much has changed. But on the downside it might mean burglars could come prepared to "defend" tthemselves against their victims. This is when we have fully fledged Game of Thrones style sword fights in the middle of suburbia.

I'm an advocate of attacking anyone who comes into your house, but I would not suggest you stand between a burglar and his escape route. Cornered animals become dangerous. Your main aim should be to get that person out, not keep them in.

• Like 5

But on the downside it might mean burglars could come prepared to "defend" tthemselves against their victims. This is when we have fully fledged Game of Thrones style sword fights in the middle of suburbia.

Now that is the way forward, there is honour in a death by the sword... ;)

• Like 3

True... but the wiley man drops burning pitch out the window before the intruder sets foot in the castle. I mean house.

• Like 3

Wish everyone had concealed carry .. Here in the US you shoot first ask questions later .. Just don't shoot em in the back .. You'll be up under the jail

Same here, as long as it can be seen as self defense-in other words not shooting in the back. Although, if I see that the intruder has just murdered someone I loved, and then runs away, there is no way that I will not shoot-whether in the back or not!

• Like 1

I live in the UK, pretty much everyone I know keeps a length of wood, metal bar, blade or somesuch weapon concealed near their bed/within reach in case of an intruder. If I woke up in the night and heard noises downstairs, Ill grab a weapon, and head downstairs.

Most burglars dont come armed, they are oppurtunists, if somone broke into my home and i feared for my and my familes life, Id have no qualms about defending myself.

I don't own a gun-it is legal here but you need a gun license and it is not too easy to obtain one. But, we live in what is called a security complex. We have 24 hour security guards, alarm system with armed response, electrical fence and burglar bars. If after all this, the intruder still gets in, I suppose, my axe under the bed and the panic button better be enough!

The question remains: What is that person doing in you house? Obviously, it can only be with bad intentions. Your home is normally the only place where you can be safe and hide away from the world. Where I live, if someone is in your house you shoot first en then ask questions. Its' either shoot or be shot. I do not see a reason that a homeowner cannot take force to protect what is his. I am definitely not in favor of violence and killing but when it is to project yourself and your family, then my opinion is to do whatever it takes to keep yourself safe.

I wouldn't think twice about protecting my family with whatever force it took to stop an intruder, too many people have been killed by burglars....I wouldn't care if it was legal or not!!! I wouldn't let anyone hurt my family in my own home.

That's why I keep 2 dogs at home ;-)

• Like 2