Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

More rights for homeowners against intruders

TheLastLazyGun

So you are agreeing that the US is a much more dangerous and violent place than Europe. And a big part of that is easy access to guns by everyone, even minors.

This has been covered over and over again in many other threads. We aren't talking about the US here.

The issue here is how one defines what is reasonable in a certain situation.

If you ask somone, "is it acceptable and reasaonable to knife a man to death because he tried to punch you?" The answer the vast majority would give is "no, its not reasonable, the use of force is excessive".

In the cold light of day, between two sober, level headed people knifing a man who tries to punch you is excessive.

But during a break in or somthing similar, the whole point is its not the cold light of day, its not two calm, reasaonable, clear thinking people.

Its likely at night, with one party being utterly terrified and under a massive ammount of stress, fearing for thier life. The actions of said person can not be evaluated in the same way. They are not in a normal state of mind, nor are they in a normal, rational situation and so to expect them to respond with calm, clear logic and carefully calculated levels of force is absurd.

In such an extreme situation responding with more force than would normally be considered accepatble is, in my view permisiable.

If somone broke into my house I would be terrified, I dont know their intentions, thier numbers, I dont know if they are armed, I am a human being, and while I can be logical and think (they are likely kids, no real threat) mostly, in times of stress im a bundle of nerves, hormones, instinct and a fix of fear and agression. In such a situation i would not act as I normally would. Nor would I expect anyone else to.

• Like 2

^^ what Wyrdlight said ^^. You are operating with survival instinct and not a strictly rational manner if someone breaks in at 3 AM. Someone has invaded your territory. Grab your weapon, then call the police if you can do so quietly. But still be prepared to defend yourself.

One thing in my favor - there are very few things worth more than $100 each in my home.

Being able to defend yourself legally is not a good idea? So you think perhaps you should be legally oblidged not to defend yourself?

The fact is that person shouldn't be in your home, and if they wasn't they would be at risk of getting hurt. They are the ones breaking the law. And what if the intruder isn't a burglar? What if they they're a rapist? You need the right to be able to defend yourself, other people, and your home.

I think in general most people would do what they would do regardless of the law, and in that respect I don't think much has changed. But on the downside it might mean burglars could come prepared to "defend" tthemselves against their victims. This is when we have fully fledged Game of Thrones style sword fights in the middle of suburbia.

I'm an advocate of attacking anyone who comes into your house, but I would not suggest you stand between a burglar and his escape route. Cornered animals become dangerous. Your main aim should be to get that person out, not keep them in.

I got a good LOL at your Game of Thrones comment , I have a Longclaw replica hanging on my wall at home & If some dirt bag breaks into my house I will shorten them by the length of their head !

I always pay my debts :tu:

TiP.

• Like 1

I got a good LOL at your Game of Thrones comment , I have a Longclaw replica hanging on my wall at home & If some dirt bag breaks into my house I will shorten them by the length of their head !

I always pay my debts :tu:

TiP.

Ah, a Lannister...

Stick them with the pointy end

^^ what Wyrdlight said ^^. You are operating with survival instinct and not a strictly rational manner if someone breaks in at 3 AM. Someone has invaded your territory. Grab your weapon, then call the police if you can do so quietly. But still be prepared to defend yourself.

One thing in my favor - there are very few things worth more than $100 each in my home.

I don't quite agree, personally I'd never give someone a chance to harm me if they've already broken a law to enter my home, I'm gonna break bones if they do that. The police in the US are only there to protect and serve the law, not the citizens, it's our right to protect ourselves.

Edited by Hasina

I also had a German Shepherd dog-what a beautiful breed. The dog was so loving towards us and very protective. No wonder these dogs are also used in the police.

yeah he was a big softy really, his bark was probably worse than his bite....but he hated it when strangers came to the door even if they knocked etc. He was very wary of people he didn't like, I think they have a sixth sense about people, that's why I love having animals around x He never bit anyone by the way, well only me when I tried to get him off my mams dog when they were fighting....but his bark would definitely make you think twice.

My new dog Sam is getting that way too, I think the neighbour has scared him in some way cos he hates him...growls ,barks and gets his hackles up, so I can't see anyone coming in with him barking!!