Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The most unpleasant sound in the world?

Still Waters

People who listened to a series of 74 recordings while having their brain activity measured by an MRI scanner rated the sound of a fork on a glass as the second worst noise, followed by chalk on a blackboard.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/9596856/Is-this-the-most-unpleasant-sound-in-the-world.html

• Like 2

Chalk on a blackboard, gah - really only "topped" by fingernails scraping a blackboard, ouch.

• Like 1

I'm surprised this study didn't go further. Maybe it did, and they didn't get into it in the article.

There was a similar study many years ago that compared similar sounds, such as nails on a blackboard, to the distress and danger calls from rhesus and other monkeys. It was found the monkeys calls triggered similar responses in our brains.

It was theorized that perhaps the sounds of these distress calls which are designed to trigger survival instincts in monkeys, may be similar to our own ancient calls in the same circumstances.

Human responses included strong feelings of anxiety, adrenalin surges, and increase heartrate, blood pressure, perspiration and respiration.

The most unpleasant sound in the world to me is my wife farting in her sleep. There is also other unpleasantness that soon follows. <_<

• Like 3

The most unpleasant sound in the world to me is my wife farting in her sleep. There is also other unpleasantness that soon follows. <_<

Dutch oven?

• Like 3

People who listened to a series of 74 recordings while having their brain activity measured by an MRI scanner rated the sound of a fork on a glass as the second worst noise, followed by chalk on a blackboard.

http://www.telegraph...-the-world.html

I would say it is is the common alarm clock early in the AM. I've wanted to shoot several over the years!

• Like 2

In over 7 years I have never heard my wife fart or "caught" her going #2. She swears she does neither and to her credit she is damn good at hiding it and being lady like.

It's a long running joke

• Like 2

In over 7 years I have never heard my wife fart or "caught" her going #2. She swears she does neither and to her credit she is damn good at hiding it and being lady like.

It's a long running joke

That's probably the key to a long marriage. LOL

I do have to say another VERY unpleasant sound for me is Nickelback.

• Like 5

A piper that does not how to play the bagpipes

Agreed. But I would extend that to include a piper who does know how to play the bagpipes. How can you tell when they're being played badly?

• Like 1

People smacking their food...Slurping too ..It ticks me off

• Like 3

The sound of football commentary blaring out from my husbands little radio that he takes from room to room when the football is on :devil: . I HATE it LOL!

Edited by Star of the Sea
  • Like 1

A knock on the door or the phone ringing in the middle of the night ain't too pleasant. A fright followed by dread as you go to answer.

The sound of people kissing..lol I cannot stand it...

• Like 1

The sound of an out of tune instrument and the player being oblivious to the fact.....

• Like 2

My accent

the chalkboard sound is up there but not on the top of my list. loud heavy bass music runs right through my body and makes me physically ill. at least you can plug your ears to the chalkboard sound.

Miley Cyrus/ ( Hannah Montana ) when she tries to sing and talk...Along with her dad Billy Ray with - Achy Breaky Heart...

Edited by Beckys_Mom