Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

European seal hunts

Corp

Killing seals to protect fish stocks decimated by man is shameful! Two wrongs don't make a right.

These two 'wrongs' certainly don't legitimise Canada's appalling annual seal hunt!

• Like 2

Well, to be fair, if the seals are going to be used for their meat and furs, then I have no problem with it whatsoever. Trapping/hunting (if managed right) is sustainable and therefore should be encouraged, so long as the meat/fur is not wasted.

Well fair enough Bavarian Raven, normally that's a pretty logical assumption, but we've done exactly that with fish stocks and look at them now. Apply that to a species reviled, unjustly, by people who view fish stocks as their livelyhood, and prejudice is sure to become very prominent. For example all raptor species in the UK were hunted with extreme prejudice to extinction in some cases, and near extinction for the rest. Pine Martens were hunted to almost extinction, but their fur was used. Sharks, whales. Foxes? Badgers? Just that is about to happen, and I bet we'll be seeing more badger sporrans in tacky Highland Dress shops in the near future.

• Like 2

Well fair enough Bavarian Raven, normally that's a pretty logical assumption, but we've done exactly that with fish stocks and look at them now. Apply that to a species reviled, unjustly, by people who view fish stocks as their livelyhood, and prejudice is sure to become very prominent. For example all raptor species in the UK were hunted with extreme prejudice to extinction in some cases, and near extinction for the rest. Pine Martens were hunted to almost extinction, but their fur was used. Sharks, whales. Foxes? Badgers? Just that is about to happen, and I bet we'll be seeing more badger sporrans in tacky Highland Dress shops in the near future.

but to be fair, on our side of the pond, seals are not endangered...in fact, they are very abundant. so i have no problem with them trapping them here...